: getting p0741 code please help!!

flipmode12
05-11-09, 03:45 AM
i searched the web site on this code and couldent come up with a answer to my Q is it always the tcc pwm sensor or what cks do i need to do to verify it is the sensor i got the code 2 weeks ago cleared it and it came back 3 days later everything runs great some of these threads tell me i have to replace the tc:thehand:all i want to know is it i replace the sensor will it fix it?(2000 cad deville sedan)

Submariner409
05-11-09, 09:30 AM
With moderate throttle opening does your car smoothly accelerate through 1-2-3-4 and then at about 40-odd MPH smoothly set TCC - the engine will drop another 300 RPM or so as the torque convertor clutch sets and enables a sort of "5th" gear. If TCC engages, at 50 mph or so, does moderate throttle opening result in a slight "downshift" as TCC disengages for slight added RPM/power ? Will the transmission downshift to a lower gear upon a full throttle passing demand ??

On coast down, does the transmission downshift smoothly without a near-stall or jerk at stop ?

You may be in the early stages of TCC solenoid failure - not uncommon. Quite a bit of work as you have to get deep inside the transmission to replace a $50 solenoid package.

flipmode12
05-11-09, 12:58 PM
thank u for helping me again.Yes everything cks out trans run smoothly through all gears and downshifts perfect if the cel dident come on i would have never notice,I've preformed every test recommended in this site so is that the go ahead for replacing the sensor? or is my t.c still a possible problem? im going to do the job myself next weekend depending on what u say bro thank you again submariner409

Submariner409
05-11-09, 02:01 PM
If you have P0741 then you have no TCC lockup. If the code is Current, then you need to either have a shop run diagnostics and possibly replace the TCC solenoid or you check the transmission wiring harness and if that doesn't help, you're in the transmission disassembly business. You'll NEED a Helm Factory Service Manual or subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com. The TCC solenoid is no picnic, but it can be done with only partial engine/transmission removal.

According to the manual, this code will lock out 4th gear if the transmission enters hot mode. So you may experience high rpm cruise engine speeds. The manual's first check is transmission fluid, so do that. Warm up the trans.....go for a 10 minute drive. With the engine idling in P the fluid should be about halfway up the dipstick mark, no more. It's a dry sump transmission, so there will be NO fluid on the stick with the engine off. DO NOT add fluid because of an Engine: OFF measurement.

tateos
05-11-09, 03:26 PM
...or...you can keep driving it - you might get a little worse gas mileage - the engine will rev a little higher on the highway. I did that for a couple years - no problems at all. Eventually, I replaced the engine (bad HG) with a used engine and replaced the trans with a used one at the same time.

Personally, I would either wait until the trans fails or has to come out for some other reason. If you choose to remove it now, you may as well rebuild it completely - it will add very little to the cost.

flipmode12
05-11-09, 06:35 PM
sorry im not going to keep driving it like this i have to fix it being it's my only car and i am a diesel mechanic it bothers me to know something wrong so i have to fix it just for piece of mind who knows i might rebuild the trans i dont know. I ordered a fsm off ebay today that will help me quit a bit.I ck the trans fluid yesterday it was fine but trans was not hot ill do it today when i get to work but as far as elec. what do i ck for,(location of harness) burns cracks? ill keep u guys updated thanks again

flipmode12
05-12-09, 04:30 AM
so today i ck the oil after driving to work still no engine light (its been 4 days now on highway)but trans is over full buy maybe an inch can this also be a cause for my problem? because of higher case pressurs? im going to drain it with a sqert bottle after work see what happens.

Submariner409
05-12-09, 08:08 AM
Not saying it's your problem, but an overfilled 4T80E has all sorts of problems, including bad shift line pressures and blowing fluid out the vent line which is vertically attached near the throttle cable bracket near the throttlebody - it has a little wiggle cap crimped on.

tateos
05-12-09, 02:02 PM
sorry im not going to keep driving it like this i have to fix it being it's my only car and i am a diesel mechanic it bothers me to know something wrong so i have to fix it just for piece of mind who knows i might rebuild the trans i dont know. I ordered a fsm off ebay today that will help me quit a bit.I ck the trans fluid yesterday it was fine but trans was not hot ill do it today when i get to work but as far as elec. what do i ck for,(location of harness) burns cracks? ill keep u guys updated thanks again

I understand - you want the car to be perfect. Just remember that with the TCC not working, your torque converter is just like all torque converters before lockup ones came out - it will slip a little bit - your highway revs will be maybe 300 RPM higher than if the TC locked up - not a huge deal

flipmode12
05-12-09, 07:42 PM
i know what u mean but i just brought the car a week ago i guess i am going to leave it alone for a little and eventually fix it but its just frustrating today i got another code a ipc u1000 but it has not came back i also drained the trans a little so its good now i got the code leaving work again yesterday (p0741):banghead: from what i understand i could drive it in 3rd all the time and the code wont show is this correct?

Ranger
05-12-09, 08:31 PM
You only need to do that after clearing the codes before going for am emission test. Otherwise just drive it in "D". You'll get better mileage.