: need help

thaish_214
05-11-09, 03:19 AM
Ok i really need some help on this one, i got a 99 seville sls and the engine light came on and these are the codes that i got: c1738 exhaust solenoid valve short to gnd, b5032 fuel sensor shorted to gnd, and p0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected. I took it to a my mechanic and he said it would be better to get a new engine because if the misfire and because the engine has 150K plus miles. So i was wondering would it be better to fix or just get a new engine, and if its better to get a new engine should I just get the same year or am I able to get a newer engine which i read they have fewer problems.

Submariner409
05-11-09, 10:19 AM
C1738 refers to the rear level control compressor exhaust valve malfunction. Your rear level is messed up. Diagnostics, repairs, adjustment. Shocks, maybe.

The fuel level sensor is part of the pump module in the tank. I think you have to drop the tank on your year to replace the module or parts.

The miss could be anything from moisture to a bad spark plug, wire, coil, ICM, fuel injector to mechanical failure of a valve. Thorough diagnosis and repair.

A 99 with 150K+ is not uncommon. If the engine is not mechanically "broken", doesn't consume more than a quart of oil every 1250 - 1500 miles and has no nasty rattles or bangs it should be good to 200K at least. You're in the OBD-II series of Northstars, but before the 2000 engine redesign, so your best bet, if necessary, would be to overhaul your present engine. Less mechanical and electrical hassles.

Ranger
05-11-09, 12:45 PM
Have the plugs & wires ever been changed? Never heard of replacing an engine because it had a misfire.