: Pcm installation failure...

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 08:35 PM
So on this sunny and warm sunday afternoon i set out to install the w4m that i got. I read the faq and followed the directions, the old pcm basically shot out of the plastic container.... as this point i figured i could do this whole install in 30mins or so and go back to enjoying my day.

4hrs and 30mins later i find my self sore and defeated by a simple case of metal and a plastic box. i figured that the plastic ridge in the box was keeping me from being able to push it all the way in to i cut that completely out. the pcm will slide in futher with a good deal of force used but it is still about 1" out to far and it seems to no longer be able to go in.

i nearly got so mad i lite this damn car on fire. not sure why on earth the pcm is located behind the bumper...and in that spot.

any ideas as to why im screwing this up? my car is still on jack stands and might stay that way for the rest of the night.

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 08:51 PM
any ideas would be good so i could give it a shot before i have to make other plans to get to work in the morning.

darkman
05-10-09, 08:56 PM
When I did mine, I took off the apron held on by all those pins and the ECM fell out. In my case the cover and the 13mm bolt that was supposed to hold the ECM in was simply gone. After transferring the cable to the replacement ECM I just slide it back into the hole. I then secured by strapping on an industrial-strength plastic tie accross the opening. I do not recall any difficulty putting the ECM into the hole - but then again there was no retainer in my way. I do seem to recall trying to put in backwards at first - that is it had to be turned in a certain position to fit. Good luck.

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 09:03 PM
i tried putting it in different ways and i even tried the original one thinking that maybe it was the one i got. still no dice. mine slide out very easily.... it just wont go back like the plastic box is to small or something.

darkman
05-10-09, 09:14 PM
When you try to install it is the wiring in the way? It almost has to be the direction - that is it must fit only one way.

How much sticks out? I am not sure mine went completely in. This was okay for me since I did not have a cover to reinstall - all I needed was enough to protect the wiring from water since I was using a plastic tie.

Maybe someone will check-in that remembers the trick.

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 09:20 PM
i tried it with the harness attached and the last 2hrs i tried without the harness plugged in. i'm trying it in the same direction in the faq.

it sticks out about 1" from the bottom of the plastic cases bottom. i could prob just plug everything back up but then 1" of the pcm will be sticking out and that would just bug me.

darkman
05-10-09, 09:21 PM
i tried it with the harness attached and the last 2hrs i tried without the harness plugged in. i'm trying it in the same direction in the faq.

it sticks out about 1" from the bottom of the plastic cases bottom. i could prob just plug everything back up but then 1" of the pcm will be sticking out and that would just bug me.

Do You have the cover?

darkman
05-10-09, 09:28 PM
I am now looking at a drawing in the service manual. It looks like the unit goes into the hole with the wiring pulled down such that the entire box enters the hole first and the wiring trails behind. Almost like pulling the wiring back on each side like a "double pony tail."

darkman
05-10-09, 09:37 PM
Found these:

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 11:53 PM
you know after i took a short nap and looked at it again i think i might have found something to try. i was looking at the faq while i was doing it but something seems different.

im gonna go try something

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 02:11 AM
i was bone headed and tried it again after taking a break and it went right in....

some days things just dont work for you.

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 03:19 AM
so i took the car out for a drive to do the relearn process but now for some reason my temp gauge isnt staying functioning. like once i start the car it will read x temp and show it on the dial but then after a min or so it will show dash lines on the digital gauge and the dial will go back to "zero"

any ideas?

darkman
05-11-09, 06:57 AM
so i took the car out for a drive to do the relearn process but now for some reason my temp gauge isnt staying functioning. like once i start the car it will read x temp and show it on the dial but then after a min or so it will show dash lines on the digital gauge and the dial will go back to "zero"

any ideas?

A. Drive the car for a liitle while to give it a chance to adjust - the only guage misfire I had was a blank tire pressure readout for a few minutes.
B. Contact Jesse abount anything that does not clear up.

odla
05-11-09, 07:06 AM
what mods do you have on your car and can you pm me a price? thanks

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 10:12 AM
no mods ( aside from this tune) and pm you a price on what?

odla
05-11-09, 01:04 PM
how much was his tune also did you dyno it before and are you going to after? ive been thinking about getting his tune for my v buts is it worth it for a stock v? thanks

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 01:26 PM
I would say for the skip shift delete its alone worth it to me. i seem to already have about 2mpg better fuel milage so thats a plus. once i let it break in i'll start giving her the full throttle passes and see how she responds.

BirdmanTamu
05-11-09, 02:22 PM
I just installed mine recently as well and had, what sounds like, the same issue...user error. But I won't forget the trick on how to get it back in the next time.

I couldn't tell much of a SOTP difference, but definitely love the skipshift disabled. I can also tell that Jesse made some fan logic adjustments.

shadybx7
05-11-09, 04:36 PM
damn that sucks, some people report huge SOTP gains with the W4ME tune but they could just be reporting the mental mod-effect.. now im back on the fence between this and a dyno tune..

do you guys think that the that a dyno tune for 50-100$ extra is worth it??

darkman
05-11-09, 05:09 PM
damn that sucks, some people report huge SOTP gains with the W4ME tune but they could just be reporting the mental mod-effect.. now im back on the fence between this and a dyno tune..

The more mods you have the more valuable a dyno tune becomes. The tuners I have talked to pretty much agree that they can tune any motor mod-combination with which they have direct experience and get pretty close without either getting their hands on the car, or having it on a dyno. If you are pretty close to stock most tuners can provide a canned tune that works. The farther removed from stock you get the more dependent the tuning outcome is on the tuner either: (a) having tuned that combination before (i.e. they have a "recipe" that is known to work); or (b) having the car on a dyno.

I have no direct experience with W4Me tune on heavily modified cars, but I do have on of their tunes on my LS6 with only one modification and that is Random Technology high-flow cats. I did not get a dyno reading before the tune but I did have it dynoed after the tune in Dallas on the same day as some other LS6s. I hit 358.7 HP as compared with other LS6s getting 338-341. I also measure my MPG with every tank and am getting 11-12% better with the tune. All in all the W4Me tune for a relatively stock LS6 is a bargain. It will pay for itself with gasoline prices headed back up again and it does increase HP.

BirdmanTamu
05-11-09, 06:05 PM
I'm deep into the bowels of mod hell :devil: with more "projects" planned. I really like the idea of being able to send my pcm back to Jesse for minor tweaks after each performance mod...for just the price of shipping. I can't afford a Maggie any time soon :crying2: so this is definitely the route for me.

IMO, the W4M toon is worth every penny and compliments other less invasive mods well. Also at the price ($160) it is a VERY good bang for the buck mod.

liqidvenom
05-11-09, 06:28 PM

I would do this again in a heartbeat. i saw its really worth it. i'm already getting 3mpg better then i was before i put the tune in. also the car feels more responsive on part throttle and initial throttle tip in.

its really worth it and im gonna email him to find out about this other issue im having and then its all good from there.

liqidvenom
05-13-09, 08:30 PM
so to re-cap, no need to email anyone. I put about 30miles on the car since i did the case relearn and now the temp dial works fine. i havent had a chance to open her up but once i do i'll talk about it.

soon ill get a post tune install dyno