: 96 concours crank prob

dharris2180
05-10-09, 01:53 PM
last night i was on the way home doing 70 and i lost acceleration i would press on the gas and nonthing so i pulled over turned off the car and tried to restart it i would not start at all i could hear i belive the flywheel spinning but thats it so i had it put on a lift at a friends and my crank is not spinning my belt thats attached to my ac alternator etc so we looked under the car and we tried to start it the fly wheel spins but thats it so please any ideals im not good at car issues so please bare with me if i named parts wrong

Ranger
05-10-09, 04:49 PM
How do you know that the flywheel is turning? I don't think it is visible.

dharris2180
05-10-09, 08:22 PM
we seen gears by the transmissions pan and when we turned the key to start it spins

32vmonte
05-10-09, 08:32 PM
How do you know that the flywheel is turning? I don't think it is visible.

There is a inspection cover. Not sure how well you can see in there with the exhaust crossover but you could see it prolly.

Back on to your issue, you say the flywheel spins when you turn it over but the crank pulley and your serpentine belt don't?

That I can not really tell you whats up with that.

Maybe your looking at something wrong.

Ranger
05-10-09, 08:33 PM
Cracked flex plate I believe. Won't be cheap or easy.

32vmonte
05-10-09, 09:19 PM
Cracked flex plate I believe. Won't be cheap or easy.

I would assume that would make some horrendous noises, and would take some beating to break.

That would cause his symptoms but I would think it would make some very obvious suicide noises.

He was driving and it broke thus loosing connection with the converter. He then shut it off and since the flywheel is prolly no longer attached it is not going to start.

It all adds up but like I said he didn't hear any messed up noises unless he forgot that important detail. :suspense:

dharris2180
05-11-09, 10:01 AM
no no noises at all

dharris2180
05-11-09, 10:03 AM
and i also called the cadillac dealer and you can see the fly wheel on this car so something betwwen the fly wheel and the crank broke

tateos
05-12-09, 10:12 PM
Ranger is correct - if the flywheel turns and the crankshaft doesn't, it is the flexplate - that's all it can be, and it will not make any special noises - it is just cracked where it bolts to the crankshaft output flange. It happened to my sister's car once.

If it were me, with a '98 N* with a lot of miles, I would drop the cradle, insert or stud the heads, change the oil pan gasket and rear mail seal, and rebuild the trans or replace with rebuilt (to avoid the dreaded TCC problems) and change the flexplate, of course. Now you will be all set for a long time.