: Moving the car without having to start it

C&C
05-10-09, 07:20 AM
Okay, I want to move the car a couple of feet (say in my driveway). Do I have to start the engine in order to get the car from Park to Neutral or can the transmisson be shifted to neutral some other way? (Just depressing the brake, with the key fob present, doesn't let the shift handle move into neutral.)

ewill3rd
05-10-09, 08:08 AM
The only way to get the transmission selector out of park is to put the car in "run" mode.
The BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) will only disengage with vehicle systems powered up. No you do not have to start the engine although you should be careful if you do this with the engine off.

Get in the car and press the ignition switch, but not the top part, the bottom or "off" section of the switch.
Hold it down for approximately 5 seconds (maybe a bit longer). After a time interval all the vehicle systems will come on, this is "run" mode. Once in run mode you can press the brake and move the shifter to neutral and do what you want. Just remember you have no power steering or power brakes!

C&C
05-10-09, 04:22 PM
Thank you, I'll give it a try if the condition arises. (should be a few and far between occurence but thought I'd ask)

sburgin
05-10-09, 07:51 PM
It's so nice to have a technician in the forum ranks here...
Thanks Ewill3rd for your contributions here !

The only way to get the transmission selector out of park is to put the car in "run" mode.
The BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) will only disengage with vehicle systems powered up. No you do not have to start the engine although you should be careful if you do this with the engine off.

Get in the car and press the ignition switch, but not the top part, the bottom or "off" section of the switch.
Hold it down for approximately 5 seconds (maybe a bit longer). After a time interval all the vehicle systems will come on, this is "run" mode. Once in run mode you can press the brake and move the shifter to neutral and do what you want. Just remember you have no power steering or power brakes!

ewill3rd
05-13-09, 07:54 AM
I can't tell you about how painful it was for me to learn how to do that.
GM is not very forthcoming about telling us little tricks like that.

lreddiablo
05-13-09, 06:48 PM
And u wonder why they r on the brink of bankrupcy....