: Tick Tick Tick Tick...

greencadillacmatt
05-10-09, 02:16 AM
So I came out of the movie theatre the other night, and my car starts making this ticking noise. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. I was thinking maybe a ticking lifter? What (beside ripping my engine apart) could I do to make this noise go away? Would a thicker oil quiet things up? I am running 10w30 Valvoline High Mileage in it right now. I'm going to be swapping in my Olds 350 this winter anyways, and I can live with the noise, but I'd really like to get rid of the sound. I'm also trying to do this on the cheap. Any ideas of what the sound is or what I could do would be greatly appreciated. :worship: Thanks in advance,
-MM

MT-ED
05-10-09, 07:30 AM
Is the sound engine speed related? i.e. do the ticks speed up with the engine?

I've had what sounds like a tick on my left-hand engine bank since I bought my car in October 2007. It's a small header to down-pipe leak. I live with it although it's annoying especially if I have my window open.

Ticking can be a lifter problem. It's difficult to advise without knowing the exact location or actually hearing it.

Martin.

greencadillacmatt
05-10-09, 04:40 PM
Yes, It is engine speed related. RPMs go up, Ticking goes up. I was just concerned about it hurting the engine. I'm going to pull out the HT this winter, so I'm not too concerned.

carnut
05-10-09, 05:26 PM
You get a short piece of garden hose to locate the tick. One end on valve cover, other end to your ear. move it along the cover till the noise is verified. If it is a lifter, a pint of trans fluid added to engine oil will clean a dirty lifter. If its a flat cam or broken rocker arm support, no magic fluid will help!!