: On Vacation, just a bit of fun street racing....

97EldoCoupe
05-10-09, 01:22 AM
OK, I'm back in Manitoba on vacation with my Z-rated, black on black 1998 STS.

If anyone read the last time I posted about the bit of racing I've done in Manitoba, a Grand Am beat me a couple of times. I was right about the weight- a full trunk and 4 passengers/1 driver. Also I was running 87 octane fuel. Now I've got 91 octane in the tank, had two passengers, and a spare tire. Beat him by a couple car lengths.

Raced a new Chevy Silverado, and an older Audi A4 1.8 Turbo. Beat them too.

I know what a lot of people think about street racing, but it's a very common thing here, and everyone's careful about it, no bets, and no sore losers. No excessive speed either. around 60MPH max.

This is a lot of fun.

My car made the trip through Northern Ontario without any issues, but I noticed some tire wear so I took it in for an alignment at Midas in Thunder Bay. All is well.

Just thought I'd share some of my fun Cadillac moments....

I'm going to be careful about what I do (wanna keep my license/car) but I might go up against a few more. Depends on who's out, but 300HP is something that a lot of cars can beat- I'm just waiting for the right ones.

Destroyer
05-10-09, 07:40 AM
Racing only to 60 mph? You haven't even hit the sweet spot by 60 mph. The N* has good mid to high power. Down low it's a dog. 300hp is still ok in a lighter car but the STS is no lightweight. Same story in my Lincoln. These motors need to rev up a bit before they get going.

97EldoCoupe
05-11-09, 01:52 AM
Yeah that's true Destroyer. A 4000lb car needs more than 300HP to really have fun but STS's hold their own. 60MPH, in town, is our limit for street racing because of the law enforcement, and people, and buildings, etc. We just all agree to keep the speed down for these reasons. It's a wide street, people don't cross often and they know to be careful. That's all guys do here on weekends and weeknights- everything from old muscle cars to POS Pontiac Sunflowers.

Raced a Grand Prix GTP too, blew him away (surprisingly, the L67 engines are fast). A new Challenger.... well, he didn't try. I was willing but that's a no brainer- the STS will lose. Nevertheless, all in fun.

97EldoCoupe
05-11-09, 01:54 AM
Oh- yeah, the local police let all of this go- but they're around if it gets out of hand. Which is why limits are set, and no sore, angry losers.

Destroyer
05-11-09, 07:55 AM
60MPH, in town, is our limit for street racing because of the law enforcement, and people, and buildings, etc. We just all agree to keep the speed down for these reasons.Wow, never heard of a town collectively agreeing to set a speed limit on racing. All you have to do is install the lowest gears you possibly can and have at it!:thumbsup:

Ranger
05-11-09, 11:39 AM
Oh- yeah, the local police let all of this go- but they're around if it gets out of hand. Which is why limits are set, and no sore, angry losers.

THAT is amazing.

32vmonte
05-12-09, 09:02 PM
THAT is amazing.

Same thing in chicago, they don't exactly let it go.

If they catch us racing in the ghetto or industrial areas on streets that have been known for street racing for a good 30 years they wait for the race to go down then they flip the lights on to chase us all away.

We have had them roll through with no lights and roll the window down and say hey you guys know your not allowed to sit on this road now leave before I call backup or a not so nice officer comes along.

In two years I have not seen a car towed or even heard of one. People have gotten obstructing traffic flow tickets and that's it :wtf:

People are actually smart around hear. We race on roads that don't have any entrances or crossways, and at about 2 in the morning so we are the only cars out.

Ranger
05-12-09, 09:13 PM
Well I'll be. Never knew that and grew up there. Where are you? South side?

97EldoCoupe
05-13-09, 07:59 AM
Yes I know it's amazing, that's why I like visiting that town- the police actually understand "fun"..... just ask the officer that was videotaped by a civillian, blowing doughnuts in the force's new F-150........... :D

I'm on the way home- fun's over for now though, my STS came in contact with a crossing deer east of Winnipeg. Lots of front end damage. Stupid animals.

Now I'm in need of a new right headlight, right fender, hood, grille, bumper, and a/c condenser. I could swear I launched that deer 10 feet into the air- it came down right in front of the car.

Photos coming soon.

STSS
05-13-09, 09:59 AM
Good luck on the headlight, as I'm sure you already know.

Mr 5.19.
05-13-09, 12:03 PM
Wow, there's some lenient officers out there, unlike California where just about anything will get you pulled over. :mad:

97EldoCoupe
05-13-09, 03:01 PM
Here in Ontario too Mr 5.19...... right now I'm in my Caddy, my friend's driving at 70MPH....gotta love wireless internet.....

This will be an insurance job, all I have to do is pay the deductible which isn't too bad. I hope they can get a headlight, or I'll get someone to make a headlight mold and I'll just start making aftermarket headlights.....hmmm..... seems to be a demand for those....lol

I'll be home in about 4 hours if we can keep this speed- there's a Five-O somewhere behind us and the limit is only 62MPH here....

Ranger
05-13-09, 04:21 PM
Wow, there's some lenient officers out there, unlike California where just about anything will get you pulled over. :mad:

Wish the one I encountered the other night was lenient, but I'd have settled for fair and honest. :mad:

97EldoCoupe
05-13-09, 09:40 PM
Wish the one I encountered the other night was lenient, but I'd have settled for fair and honest. :mad:

I've been there too Ranger, in Ontario they're strict and tough. On the way home today I passed about 5-6 just sitting under the overpasses, unmarked cars, radar guns in hand. Seems like there are other ways to make tax dollars......

Over here in good 'ole Ontario, 30MPH over the speed limit will get you a maximum $10,000 fine, roadside vehicle seizure and 1 week license suspension. That is just INSANE. How easy is it with a Northstar Caddy to pass someone, only to look down at the speedometer and find out 60 MPH was 30-40 MPH ago on the guage....

My STS picked up some horsepower during my trip. Turns out the factory exhaust system is slightly restricted.....

32vmonte
05-13-09, 09:45 PM
Well I'll be. Never knew that and grew up there. Where are you? South side?

Yea this is all around 130th or 103rd. and a little on torrence ave.

Ranger
05-13-09, 10:01 PM
Yea this is all around 130th or 103rd. and a little on torrence ave.

Ahh OK, I grew up on the North side.

C0RSA1R
05-17-09, 06:48 PM
Same thing in chicago, they don't exactly let it go.

If they catch us racing in the ghetto or industrial areas on streets that have been known for street racing for a good 30 years they wait for the race to go down then they flip the lights on to chase us all away.

We have had them roll through with no lights and roll the window down and say hey you guys know your not allowed to sit on this road now leave before I call backup or a not so nice officer comes along.

In two years I have not seen a car towed or even heard of one. People have gotten obstructing traffic flow tickets and that's it :wtf:

People are actually smart around hear. We race on roads that don't have any entrances or crossways, and at about 2 in the morning so we are the only cars out.

This is great news for when I move out to the Downer's Grove/Lisle area.

C0RSA1R
05-17-09, 06:53 PM
Oh, and more good news. According to Google Maps, Lisle,IL and Albany,NY are the same distance from London, Ontario, so that headgasket repair I'm angling for this summer or next won't be any more of a hassle, transportation-wise. Not that driving my car is a hassle, but lodging on the way and gassing her up can be a wallet drain. And if I get the promotion I'm expecting (rather than just relocating to do the same job I'm doing now), I'll probably want some other work done.

97Eldo, if I were to arrive with a spoiler kit (the tasteful kind, not the stolen slab off of an F-105), think you could help me put that sucker on and wire her up? I could probably do it myself, but having someone glance over my shoulder and call me an idiot every now and then builds character.

97EldoCoupe
05-17-09, 07:53 PM
Hey Corsa, you are by no means an idiot- I bet you could do a professional install yourself with one hand tied behind your back....:D but I'd be happy to help out with that!:thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
05-17-09, 08:03 PM
Here's a nice shot of the damage....

http://www.northstarperformance.com/img/hitdeer.jpg

Ranger
05-17-09, 08:50 PM
That sucks Jake, but you fared much better than I did.