: cts-v bluetooth solution??

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 12:37 AM
I know that the stickies have a set of solutions listed for bluetooth but i came across this and wondered if any v guys have given it a try. I know our setup is a little bit different since we dont have some of the HU features that a non v owner does.

either way i might pull the trigger on this but i figure i share,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/143407-onstar-bluetooth-conversion-completed-14.html

http://www.costartech.com/

DisposableHero
05-10-09, 06:16 AM
wow very interesting

liqidvenom
05-10-09, 08:58 AM
it seems to work fine from what i gathered last night. seems like we miss alot being stuck in the v only forum most of the time we log on

liqidvenom
05-17-09, 07:50 PM
I purchased the costar unit and installed it in about 10mins with a simple cable tie and unplugging two white harness. I have to say its nice to have blue tooth in my car finally without having to resort to using an actual headset.

for the ease of install i must say its a great unit and the developer seems to be on top of his work by giving a 1yr warranty and being reachable is you have any issues.

to install it you go to the faq and follow the steps to disable onstar and its crazy simple. sorry no pics i didnt think it was going to get installed so fast.

-Will

QKSLVRTA
05-18-09, 03:04 PM
was reading the above post and then went to the website.... seems to be up to 2006 models and doesn't work with iPhone:(

liqidvenom
05-18-09, 03:22 PM
well i have a 2005 so i dunno what to tell you. but it works in my car just fine. and i'm sure if you email the creator chris about the iphone issue ( even though only fruit cakes use iphones) he may be able to figure something out for u.

where did you see that it doesnt work with the iphone though?

DisposableHero
05-18-09, 04:19 PM
was reading the above post and then went to the website.... seems to be up to 2006 models and doesn't work with iPhone:(

what do you mean it doesnt work with the iphone? isnt bluetooth all the same?

edit:

from the FAQ:
7. Will it work with my phone?
The Motorola HF850 junction box is what interfaces to your phone and it will interface to almost every phone on the market today. This includes Blackberry’s and iPhones as well as phones from other manufacturers including Samsung, LG, and of course Motorola.

DisposableHero
05-18-09, 04:20 PM
I purchased the costar unit and installed it in about 10mins with a simple cable tie and unplugging two white harness. I have to say its nice to have blue tooth in my car finally without having to resort to using an actual headset.

for the ease of install i must say its a great unit and the developer seems to be on top of his work by giving a 1yr warranty and being reachable is you have any issues.

to install it you go to the faq and follow the steps to disable onstar and its crazy simple. sorry no pics i didnt think it was going to get installed so fast.

-Will

wow nice dude... hows the sound quality? can they hear you just fine?

Does the radio/cd turn off or pause when a call comes in?

stinkpalm
05-18-09, 04:37 PM
what do you mean it doesnt work with the iphone? isnt bluetooth all the same?

edit:

from the FAQ:
7. Will it work with my phone?
The Motorola HF850 junction box is what interfaces to your phone and it will interface to almost every phone on the market today. This includes Blackberry’s and iPhones as well as phones from other manufacturers including Samsung, LG, and of course Motorola.

Actually, I read up more on the compatibility of the iPhone 1st Gen and that moto box, and it never works right...a bunch of issues. Maybe the later firmware for the iphone 1st gen fixes the issues, but as usual crapple cripples the BT stack on their hardware.

DisposableHero
05-18-09, 04:59 PM
Actually, I read up more on the compatibility of the iPhone 1st Gen and that moto box, and it never works right...a bunch of issues. Maybe the later firmware for the iphone 1st gen fixes the issues, but as usual crapple cripples the BT stack on their hardware.

what about the 3g?

stinkpalm
05-18-09, 05:31 PM
what about the 3g?

They said the 3G works, but if I remeber correctly theyre were still issues with voice quality and delayed acceptance of incoming call. Google it more, b/c the issues might be resolved with latest firmware updates, but doubt it...crapple wants you to buy next hardware option, instead of fixing the software..classic apple.

c4ss
05-18-09, 07:04 PM
.....( even though only fruit cakes use iphones)

:histeric:

liqidvenom
05-18-09, 11:19 PM
wow nice dude... hows the sound quality? can they hear you just fine?

Does the radio/cd turn off or pause when a call comes in?

the sound quality is good, minor static but that can be from some feedback i need to take care of. when a call comes in it does the same things that would when an onstar call comes in. the radio mutes and you hear the call through the speakers in the car. also the car will have its own ringtone if you let it ring enough time.

i only have one issue and i think its due to the bt stack in my phone and its not a big issue once a call starts.

for the ease of installation and how well it works i have no complaints. its better then trying to drive with no hands and it makes use of the phone setup in the car.

capt. dan
05-19-09, 08:04 AM
Do you think that the static could be from the BT unit being mounted in the trunk. I would be concerned about the distance. I know they say it shouldn't be an issue but I can put my phone in its holster on my left hip and a BT in my right ear and I loose reception. I would guess loading up the trunk with some luggage and a couple kids in the back seat won't help. I am going to order one and hope that it works, if not I will move it up under the dash somewhere. Keep us updated on how it works.

Mystical_Ice
05-19-09, 10:45 AM
very interesting!

liqidvenom
05-19-09, 11:33 AM
Do you think that the static could be from the BT unit being mounted in the trunk. I would be concerned about the distance. I know they say it shouldn't be an issue but I can put my phone in its holster on my left hip and a BT in my right ear and I loose reception. I would guess loading up the trunk with some luggage and a couple kids in the back seat won't help. I am going to order one and hope that it works, if not I will move it up under the dash somewhere. Keep us updated on how it works.

well an easy fix to test that would be to put the phone in the trunk for a test call but the static seems to have gone mostly. I think its the bt stack on my phone. most smart phones have screwy bt stacks and htc has been known to screw the pooch some times. i'm gonna play with it this weekend if i get a chance and i know how much your scrardy cats love vids so i'll try to make one if i can.

Like i said, if you compare this to the bt in a bmw or mb then you are going to be let down. but thats mostly due to the shame of a 2002 HU we have in our car. but for making use of the in car phone options this is a great solution and there is no cutting nor wires/mics hanging around anywhere. it looks oem and my wife can finally stop asking my why the phone button in a caddy doesnt do anything.

if you live in jersey and want to see if first hand let me know, i'll see if i can find time to meet you guys.

atdeneve
05-19-09, 05:09 PM
Which HTC are you using?

JimmyH
05-20-09, 11:26 AM
wow, so somebody is actually selling these now.

It's basically the same thing Reed was offering for a while:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/105273-bluetooth-interface-order-now.html

It fakes the data bus in the CTS into thinking the bluetooth connection is Onstar (hence why you have to unplug onstar)

I had one in my V for a while, but I was not too happy with the sound quality. But I was not using the Motorola unit either, maybe that was the problem. I have a Parrot, and I have since wired it to the amp directly and it sounds better, still not perfect though.

With that moto kit being so cheap now, I may buy one just for kicks and try it out.

JimmyH
05-20-09, 11:30 AM
oh, and having the bluetooth kit in the trunk is not likely a problem. In my V, the parrot brainbox is in the trunk, and I get no static at all.

In my CTS, the brainbox is tucked into the carpeting in the driver footwell, and I get intermittent static. I don't think it is in the bluetooth link though because the streaming music does not have any static, just phone calls.

liqidvenom
05-20-09, 12:20 PM
Which HTC are you using?
I have like 4 but the one paired to it now is a sprint htc touch diamond

oh, and having the bluetooth kit in the trunk is not likely a problem. In my V, the parrot brainbox is in the trunk, and I get no static at all.

In my CTS, the brainbox is tucked into the carpeting in the driver footwell, and I get intermittent static. I don't think it is in the bluetooth link though because the streaming music does not have any static, just phone calls.
yeah i had static that first day and then it went away. I havent driven my car for a few days, but when i go back to it i can speak on it a bit more.

i'm not sure if it would do streaming music but i can try it.

JimmyH
05-22-09, 07:09 AM
the moto kit does not stream music (at least I doubt it) I was talking about my Parrot MK6100 in my CTS which does have stereo bluetooth. It is really cool btw, and sounds great going directly into the Bose amp! Though every other day I have to turn my phone off and on otherwise I get some popping and audio dropping. Resetting the phone takes care of it.

Interesting enough though, the phone call quality is much better on the CK3000 in my V than on the MK6100. And I know it is in the parrot kit, because I have an MK6100 in my wife's Pilot which also has substandard call quality.

Jbawden
05-22-09, 11:20 AM
Looks like these will work on the 2007 V. E-mailed Chris and he said he hasne't updated the app list yet:

"The 2007 and up models will work with the GMLAN unit. I have not updated the application guide yet, but there should be some users there that have already installed it. Certainly in the base model (non-V), and as far as onstar is concerned, it is the same.

Thanks,

-Chris"

capt. dan
05-22-09, 11:28 AM
I ordered the unit yesterday and should hopefully have it next week. I will update when I get it installed.

liqidvenom
05-22-09, 03:40 PM
order and post up your experiences with it. good or bad

capt. dan
05-26-09, 09:49 PM
Receieved my bluetooth today and installed. Pretty simple, just unplug the onstar and plug in the bluetooth. I just plugged in and sat on the floor of the trunk to give it a try. Synced up nice and made a call to my voicemail. The sound was very choppy and notice that the onstar logo on the nav unit would come on and off like it was a bad connection. Checked everything but nothing loose. Made a couple more calls and the same thing, very choppy. I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon. Any thoughts? I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

liqidvenom
05-26-09, 10:47 PM
mine would do that for the first call i place, but after the first one it tends to work ok after that. sometimes it can be unwilling to connect to bt. i'm not sure which device is at fault.

DisposableHero
05-26-09, 11:44 PM
these results are pretty dissapointing

Caditude
05-27-09, 08:23 AM
FWIW...My wife got me this for X-mas as I thought it would be a great use of the the OnStar equipment that I don't use. As stated install was easy as pie. I had the same issue with the link not staying connected and dropping out intermitantly. The owner and I swapped several units back and forth trying to figure out the problem. He was extremely helpful and understanding of the situation. I finally gave up and returned the unit.

From my discussins with the owner it seems that the V radio is looking for the OnStar info on the data bus more frequently then the CoStar unit is sending it out. Thus the dropped calls.

Definetly a great idea and product, just not the answer for the V.

RustyBlazerDude
05-27-09, 10:05 AM
Hi Guys,
There is an issue, but I haven't been able to narrow it down to a particular vehicle model. My guess is that it is specific to some optional equipment installed that changes the way the radio responds on the class2 data bus. Some vehicles show up as intermittant problems, where once in a while, it will drop the radio out of mute mode, on some vehicles it never works, and some vehicles, it works perfectly. I've sold several hundred of these now, and only a handfull have had the problem, so it has been tricky to isolate.:hmm:

The GMLAN protocol found on the newer vehicles is much more reliable, and has not shown any of these issues.

I am working currently with a customer that has the really bad problem and we are trying to track down the root cause. Once resolved, I hope it will clear up those with intermittant issues as well.

Of course, I will stand behind everything I sell, so if you are experiencing any of these problems you can always send it in for a free upgrade once resolved.

BirdmanTamu
05-27-09, 11:24 AM
I received and installed mine this weekend. So far the quality is good and the calls don't drop. However, the controls on my rearview mirror don't respond well with the kit for placing and receiving calls. If I want it to work perfectly, I have to use my phone for those tasks. The only button that works well on my rearview so far is the mute button.

I like and recommend the product, but I'll send it back for the latest and greatest when it's available.

RustyBlazerDude
05-27-09, 11:35 AM
That's a unique problem. I have not had any issues with the buttons, except that they are a little finicky in volume control mode only. What's especailly strange is that the mute works. The signal from the mirror is only one wire, so I would expect that if the mute works, than so should the others. It's possible that there is a connection issue somewhere on the BlueSTAR PCB. If you'd like to try and swap it out for a new board, just drop me an email, and i'll arrange an RMA.
Thanks and sorry for the troubles.

And what options might you have that are different than Capt. Dan? I don't think its an 05-06 thing...

liqidvenom
05-27-09, 04:24 PM
Hey chris my issue most of the time is similar to what Birdman has. once i get an intial call to connect the following ones would work fine. but i have not been able to get the mirror buttons to properly accept a call. aside from that issue i just come up with work around which i dont mind doing ( also since i have to look at the phone to see who is calling anyway).

But my one gripe i cant get past is the spotty 1st or 2nd call i get which will connect and mute the radio and turn down the fan speed... but then it would kick the call or drop it and i have to take the call from the phone. if it wasnt for that issue I would be able to make use of this flawlessly even without the mirror buttons.

Also why doesnt the phone button answer and hang up on phone calls? it seems logical to just push the phone button once to answer and once to hang up instead of pressing the onstar button x# of seconds.

But i'm down to work with you since i like the overall product. I am also local if you want to take a reding of my vehicle as well.
Will

capt. dan
05-27-09, 10:15 PM
Used the Blustar today and when it worked it worked great. I dropped a couple of calls. The first call worked great and the dropped the 2nd and 4th. I hope a fix can be found because when its working it is great.

BirdmanTamu
05-29-09, 11:32 AM
FYI Bluestar Operation Update:

Every once in a while the kit will grab the first call received and not drop it if I answer from my phone. However, If I step in the car and try to place a call it's been taking exactly three tries. The first two calls will connect, the radio mutes initially, but then the radio unmutes while the call is still connected. Sometimes the call drops in a couple seconds, sometimes it just stays connected and I can only hear radio. I've confirmed with the people I was trying to call and they can hear my radio. This also happens intermittently on the first call received. Same as liqidvenom, once I get a call connected properly there aren't any problems for the rest of that driving session.

Fiddled with the rearview mirror controls some more and still get the same thing. Only the mute button works as advertised, but I'm OK with this.

I've got a Blackberry Curve 8330 I'm taking to the store today to get a sorely needed software update. Maybe that will help, I'll let you guys know.

liqidvenom
05-29-09, 12:01 PM

Every once in a while the kit will grab the first call received and not drop it if I answer from my phone. However, If I step in the car and try to place a call it's been taking exactly three tries. The first two calls will connect, the radio mutes initially, but then the radio unmutes while the call is still connected. Sometimes the call drops in a couple seconds, sometimes it just stays connected and I can only hear radio. I've confirmed with the people I was trying to call and they can hear my radio. This also happens intermittently on the first call received. Same as liqidvenom, once I get a call connected properly there aren't any problems for the rest of that driving session.

Fiddled with the rearview mirror controls some more and still get the same thing. Only the mute button works as advertised, but I'm OK with this.

I've got a Blackberry Curve 8330 I'm taking to the store today to get a sorely needed software update. Maybe that will help, I'll let you guys know.
This is basically my experience so far. its little things to work around but it adds something to my vehicle in a very clean fashion. Just wished it worked 100% of the time.

JimmyH
05-29-09, 12:16 PM
FWIW; when Reed was working on this solution with Radios&More, it was found that the data bus in the CTS-V (and CTS also, I imagine) is very different from the data bus in any of GM's other cars and trucks. I don't think they ever figured out why.

In the box that Radios&More made, I believe it accesses the data bus only to mute the radio, and put the amplifer in On-Star mode. It DOES NOT send any other data through the system. You had to unplug (or tap into) the audio leads going into the amplifier to use the car's speakers (or else you could just use the car-kit supplied speaker), and you had to use the microphone supplied with the car kit (not the Onstar microphone). You also had to the use the control buttons supplied with the kit (not the onstar buttons on the mirror--they were non-functional).

I do not know the specifics, but I know the above is all true, because despite Reeds warnings, I DID NOT unplug onstar, and the system still worked. However, I did not use Onstar either.

I hope all of this makes sense. I believe I still have my schematic from when I installed it, I will try to find it and dig it out later.

capt. dan
05-29-09, 12:50 PM

Mine has not been that consistant. Same curve 8330. It will randomly loose the call (music turns on). Most the time on the first connection but not every time. Today the light next to the buttons on the mirror quite working. Crazy, I will give it another few days see if anything changes.

bpm
05-29-09, 01:08 PM
Same here. I have Curve 8330 and i'm getting dropped calls and background static. I'm not sure if its because the Bluetooth is in the trunk and the signal gets disconnected so I stared tossing my phone in the back seat when i get a call. As for the static I have no clue how to fix that.

RustyBlazerDude
05-29-09, 11:01 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry to hear of all the difficulties. I think Jimmy H might be on to something as these problems seem to be related to the CTS-V's. I might need to take you up on the offer, Will, of a quick scan to see what's happening.
Contact me somehow and let me know how local you are.

thanks, and hang in there, I'll do my best to get it 100% for you guys.

bpm
05-30-09, 12:43 AM
Hi Guys,
Sorry to hear of all the difficulties. I think Jimmy H might be on to something as these problems seem to be related to the CTS-V's. I might need to take you up on the offer, Will, of a quick scan to see what's happening.

PM me and let me know when is good for you.

liqidvenom
05-30-09, 04:38 AM
Hi Guys,

i live 6miles from the george washington bridge. shoot me an email wno2@njit.edu

DisposableHero
05-30-09, 05:44 AM
can someone try another phone besides a curve? Everyone here with problems seems to be using the same phone.

jpoole
05-30-09, 12:10 PM
I have the same basic problems described above using my Moto Q.

liqidvenom
05-30-09, 04:12 PM
actually chris i'm going to be in europe for 2wks and you are free to spend all day, heck weeks with it at the shop if you want while its getting some appearance mods done to it. let me know and i can let them know to expect you stopping by.

liqidvenom
05-31-09, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnW5Hnjho6Q&feature=player_embedded

it seems to work well in a normal 04 cts. im not sure if this is the first call he placed or what and i never had my mirror buttons work that well for me

liqidvenom
05-31-09, 05:25 PM
i take it back he commented saying he is having the same issues we are

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1894613-post262.html

EasternPA
05-31-09, 06:03 PM
i take it back he commented saying he is having the same issues we are

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1894613-post262.html

Hey liquid, thanks for pulling me over here. Yup, I'm having the same issues described in this thread, but on a regular '04 CTS. I called it "dropping out of OnStar mode", but its the same as what you guys are calling unmuting. I know that additional phone models were already introduced, but I'm on a Blackberry Bold. I'm with you guys, too, in that I want this to work so bad. I'm in NJ (and now Philly!) all the time and need a good hands free solution.

liqidvenom
06-05-09, 08:26 PM
well i'm going on vacation tomorrow, it would be cool to see something happen while im away.

nickr28784
06-21-09, 09:41 AM
has any progress been made?

I bought the unit and installed it last week. It connects instantly getting in/out of the car and dials outgoing calls perfectly. However, I cannot seem to get it to work right for incoming calls. Also, sometimes the rearview mirror buttons do not control what they're suppossed to.

I just updated my iphone software and it seems to act a little better, but not perfect. The unit is a really good and useful product, But I would love for it to work flawlessly.

liqidvenom
06-21-09, 12:33 PM
yeah i just got back to my car from being on vacation and nearly forgot about this ( i didnt have my phone with me with i went out)

VforMe
06-21-09, 12:49 PM
:food-snacking:

VforMe
06-24-09, 09:41 PM
yeah i just got back to my car from being on vacation and nearly forgot about this ( i didnt have my phone with me with i went out)

Anymore about this kit? I'm thinking about getting it but I don't wanna do it if the kinks haven't been worked out.

Jbawden
06-25-09, 10:42 AM
I just returned my GMLAN unit to Chris. It appears to be a high quality product and Chris is as good as it gets when it comes to customer service. But, I could not get consistent connections with bluetooth as others have reported (Curve and my wifes G1) and as a sales rep, I can't afford technical issues durnig my calls. I agree, it's a great concept and I would buy it back if the issues are worked out. Like Chris said, some folks have no issues, so it may be worth a try on your V/phone combo.

liqidvenom
06-25-09, 11:31 AM
had chris mentioned anything about a work around of fix in line for us?

JimmyH
06-25-09, 12:15 PM
Once again, it is not his unit that is the problem. It is the highly complex data system in the CTS. A workaround is not likely.

liqidvenom
06-25-09, 01:54 PM
not saying his unit is the issue, but if he ever got a decent idea on how we could curb most of the issue we are having. I would like to keep this in my car but if im getting close to my 60 day return window and no fix is ever on the horision i would like to know.

Jbawden
06-25-09, 10:52 PM
Once again, it is not his unit that is the problem. It is the highly complex data system in the CTS. A workaround is not likely.

I'm not suggesting it's the CoStar unit, but it seems hard to believe (but plausible) that the CTS-V onstar (and related electronics) would be significantly more complex than other GM units. Keep in mind, some folks have absolutely no issues with the device, others do. Chris did not mention a fix was on the immediate horizon, but presumably he has an interest in coming up with one.

bpm
06-26-09, 11:12 AM
I think the dropped call issue its because the bluetooth is in the trunk and it looses signal. Try putting your phone in the back seat and see if it drops.

BirdmanTamu
06-26-09, 11:14 AM
I'm not suggesting it's the CoStar unit, but it seems hard to believe (but plausible) that the CTS-V onstar (and related electronics) would be significantly more complex than other GM units. Keep in mind, some folks have absolutely no issues with the device, others do. Chris did not mention a fix was on the immediate horizon, but presumably he has an interest in coming up with one.

It's not just the V, EasterPA is having the EXACT same issues with a regular CTS. I haven't reread the older posts in this thread, but does anybody on this forum have a BlueStar installed that works perfectly as advertised? I don't recall ANY of us V's saying theirs worked right.

I'll be keeping mine regardless.

liqidvenom
06-26-09, 12:51 PM
I think the dropped call issue its because the bluetooth is in the trunk and it looses signal. Try putting your phone in the back seat and see if it drops.

how does that go about helping the mirror buttons to work, but aside from that i would run it if my calls never dropped from it.

JimmyH
06-26-09, 05:59 PM

All I can say is I know for a fact that the bus in the CTS is unique from the bus in all other GM cars. It was problem Radios&More ran into when they were working on this project. I believe I mentioned it in this or another thread, but that is one reason they wound up using the bus ONLY to put the amp into onstar mode (muting the radio, and routing call audio through the amp). Everything else (microphone, call buttons etc) was handled externally by the car kit.

I would bet the few who are not having problems have a kit that just happens to not be interfering with the network. They should count themselves lucky.

EasternPA
06-27-09, 12:19 PM
I also wanted to pop in with the note that when my head unit unmutes, the phone stays in bluetooth mode, and the phone is still picking up the audio from the cabin mic. When it dropped out while leaving test voicemails, the audio was never interrupted while leaving the message, and I would manually switch the phone to handset mode and then back to bluetooth mode, triggering the BlueSTAR to return the head unit to OnStar mode. In my case, on an '04 CTS 3.6L w/Nav, the phone absolutely does not leave bluetooth mode, no matter where I keep it up front -- cup holder, door pocket, coin pocket (ex ashtray). Its the BlueSTAR that doesn't hold the head unit in OnStar mode, again, backed up by the fact that my test voicemails still hear audio from the cabin mic, including hearing the radio or music CD resume.

JimmyH
06-27-09, 04:18 PM
^^sounds more like your phone to me. some phones just do not like to play nice with bluetooth.

and remember guys; your phone is not actually connecting to the bluestar; it is connecting to the motorola car kit (I believe that is the kit they provide) which handles all the switching of headset to handset mode on your phone.

the bluestar only handles the connection of the audio, and I guess the data for the call end button as well, from the car kit to the onstar interface.

It might behoov some of you to perhaps try a different car kit (Parrot, nokia, etc) in place of the motorola unit. Maybe that might alleviate some of the problems. I have an extra CK3000 sitting in my garage. If someone wants to borrow it to try and interface with the bluestar to see how that works, pm me. It will have to be someone with good technical knowledge though, because I really don't have the time (or the desire anymore) to be troubleshooting and solving wiring problems. I already went through all this, and I am pretty much done with it :)

yonexsp
10-01-09, 09:35 AM
^^sounds more like your phone to me. some phones just do not like to play nice with bluetooth.

and remember guys; your phone is not actually connecting to the bluestar; it is connecting to the motorola car kit (I believe that is the kit they provide) which handles all the switching of headset to handset mode on your phone.

the bluestar only handles the connection of the audio, and I guess the data for the call end button as well, from the car kit to the onstar interface.

It might behoov some of you to perhaps try a different car kit (Parrot, nokia, etc) in place of the motorola unit. Maybe that might alleviate some of the problems. I have an extra CK3000 sitting in my garage. If someone wants to borrow it to try and interface with the bluestar to see how that works, pm me. It will have to be someone with good technical knowledge though, because I really don't have the time (or the desire anymore) to be troubleshooting and solving wiring problems. I already went through all this, and I am pretty much done with it :)

Is the conclusion then, that BluStar is not a viable product for the CTS-V?

As reading through this thread, it looks like CoStar will not be developing a version that is more compatible with the CTS OnStar system.

Pity, I was ordering a system today until I double checked the forums. I guess I will have to make do with a Bluetooth headset instead.

EasternPA
10-04-09, 12:58 PM

Haven't checked this thread in 3 months. I'm not sure how far up you are referring, but it looks like you're referring to my post immediately before yours. I may not have been clear with the description of what was happening. The phone doesn't drop bluetooth. The bluetooth link stays intact between my phone and the Motorola side of the CoSTAR kit. In fact, the audio path from the in-cabin mic all the way through the bluetooth to my phone stays intact throughout, even when it appears that a call has been dropped.

What's happening is that the CoSTAR custom electronics are not always able to hold the head unit in OnStar mode, thus allowing the head unit to return to whatever audio it was playing in the cabin. The only thing that never fails is the bluetooth connection between my phone and the Motorola module, including the audio path from the cabin mic to my phone over bluetooth. Definitely not the phone.

That being said, I kept my unit past the 60 days and still use it virtually every time I'm in the car. It "unmutes" only once every 5-7 calls. Unfortunately the last time it happened I was OTP with 911 having seen the results of a Benz go flying off the NJ Turnpike in the rain.

I am still strongly considering following your howto to mount the Parrot up front. I've been inching closer to really wanting A2DP and I upgraded my wife's Blackberry to do the same. I wonder which would win out if I added the Parrot kit -- would a call on my phone override audio playing from an iPod Touch via A2DP or would the music keep playing through the Parrot? Hmm.

JimmyH
10-08-09, 04:21 PM
What's happening is that the CoSTAR custom electronics are not always able to hold the head unit in OnStar mode, thus allowing the head unit to return to whatever audio it was playing in the cabin. The only thing that never fails is the bluetooth connection between my phone and the Motorola module, including the audio path from the cabin mic to my phone over bluetooth. Definitely not the phone.

One thing I can say with certainty, is that you CAN lose your audio on the bluetooth connection without losing the connection itself. I have seen it happen before. On my boss' G35; his Blackberry will not send the audio over the bluetooth connection, even though both his phone and the car show as being connected to each other. Whereas my sony phone works just fine in his car.

bpitas
12-15-09, 01:53 PM
I think this is definitely an issue with the head unit not picking up the BT unit correctly, not a failure with the units themselves. I have the same issue with my GMSIR-1 kit, and had it with XM occassionally before that. Something like 20% of the time I start my car, the head unit doesn't "see" the Sirius tuner, and so I don't have the XM1 and XM2 channels available. When it doesn't work, 25% of the time, I can hit the memory button to select #2, and if memory 2 has the Sirius tuner available, then when I go back to memory 1, it'll now have it too. The rest of the time the only way to get Sirius back is to power cycle the car, which when you're driving means pulling over, shutting off the car, opening the door (to shut off the delayed accessory power or whatever it's called) and then restart the car. Pretty embarrassing... :-(

I'd bet money it's some sort of timing issue on the initialization of the head unit - it's getting too many signals for it to process at once or something, and the Bluetooth module or Sirius/XM unit doesn't broadcast it's handshake message long enough for the head unit to get around to receiving it. That's my theory anyway... Does anyone know enough about the cars bus to be able to actually tap into it and SEE what messages are being broadcast when all this happens? Would be good if we could datalog the bus right at the head unit and see what happens that way...

Also wouldn't surprise me if it's something to do with the V-specific firmware release on the head unit. We already know we can't show our trouble codes through the V-version of the head unit, and if you "don't tell the nav unit it's a V" (which I assume means injecting some firmware somewhere) then you can't go into competitive driving mode. I'll bet there's something weird about the V-version of the head unit firmware that causes occasional timing issues.

toberting22
12-15-09, 03:24 PM
Has anyone tried this solution?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/CarPortal%E2%84%A2/KOS-V500

Temptone1
12-15-09, 04:18 PM
The only thing is, if you have ONSTAR you must give it up...It's kind of nice but how useful is it , really ? I would love my Phone to be that way in the car and all for a one time charge...BUT , as I get older I like the things that OnStar does...but expensive as putting a bluetooth system in every year you have it.
If anyone has experience please write in and explain the advantages you have seen for either plan.

JimmyH
12-15-09, 10:14 PM
Has anyone tried this solution?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/CarPortal%E2%84%A2/KOS-V500

Looks like an interesting unit. I wonder if it automatically switches modes and senses inputs.

nmaier2201
12-16-09, 08:25 PM
So I take it that the bluestart still has issues with the V then eh? but if it's just the radio coming back on.... I can live with that...

JimmyH
12-16-09, 11:23 PM
I remember reading that some people had great success with the Bluestar. Others had nothing but problems. It's a crapshoot I guess. If it were me, at less than $300, I would give it a shot.

JimmyH
12-16-09, 11:48 PM
There is a simpler option.

You can install just a parrot bluetooth kit. The CK3000 is $100 at http://www.quickconnectproducts.com.

My install writeup is here:
http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/files/ck3x00-ctsv.pdf

It will not mute the radio, you would have to do that yourself. And you will have to get an external speaker. You can find them on ebay. Just search for parrot speaker, or nokia speaker. The nokia speaker, you have to cut off the mini-phono plug and strip back the wire, and splice them into the parrot wiring. Instructions on how to do that are in my writeup. The advantage to this method is you are not tapping into the car's electronics at all, except for splicing into the 12V power. And you can still use Onstar.

I still have an old Nokia speaker lying around if anyone needs it.

If you do want it to mute the radio, that is possible also. You need to get a simple relay. You would splice into the power lead feeding the amp in the trunk, and connect that to the parrot's mute lead. I can writeup some instructions on how to do that if anyone is seriously interested. That is how I wound up doing it in my V. I also spliced the audio for the parrot kit into the left front and center speakers. So when a call came in, the parrot would cut power to the amp, in essence muting all the speakers, and then send its own call audio to the two front speakers.

JimmyH
12-17-09, 12:00 AM
And I just remembered: I still have one of Reed's Onstar interface boxes here. I don't remember why I took it out of the V. I had intended on putting it back in at some point, but never got around to it. Now that both my CTSs are gone, I have no need for it.

This is the box:

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/onstar.jpg

You would still need either a parrot or motorola handsfree kit. I made a comprehensive writeup for this also:

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/files/ck3x00-onstar-ctsv.pdf

And here is the link to the thread containing Reed's writeup (which offers a slightly different installation method than mine):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/105273-bluetooth-interface-order-now.html

This box uses the onstar interface to simulate onstar's handsfree calling using the parrot or moto kit. When a call comes in, it puts the radio and amp into onstar mode so any music is muted, and the call comes through the cars speakers just like the onstar call would. It also lowers your hvac fan speed if it is set high, and will pause the CD if one is playing. You connect the parrot's mute lead to this box, and the parrot's call audio to the onstar audio leads on the amp. The disadvantage to this is the same as all the other bluetooth solutions out there: you MUST disconnect onstar. So if you use onstar, this will not work. But my post above will.

If anyone is interested in this box, pm me.
Nikon and CTSV_Rob both have this setup in their Vs.

nmaier2201
12-17-09, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jimmy. I think I'll give the bluestar a shot and see what happens. If not I've got something to tinker with as an alternative... Thanks again for the info

Syclone354
12-17-09, 11:27 PM
I just picked up a cheap $50 Scosche bluetooth speakerphone from walmart and it is aboslutely awesome. I put almost 5k miles on my v the first month I had it. I drive over 30k miles a year just for work, and am constantly on the phone in the car. It paired up instantly, holds a charge for ever, comes with usb and car charger adapters, and most importantly its very loud!

Dont waist your time trying to jury-rig some crap into your car. Buy one of these very simple little visor mounted speakerphones. In these cars the interior noise is nice and quite, so you can hear the unit perfectly. I have no trouble hearing people even doing 85mph on the highway, and they have no trouble hearing me and cant tell if im on the phone or the speaker.

JD03Cobra
12-18-09, 08:29 AM
Like this? Not a bad idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1ZQmBXukU

silver02stang
12-18-09, 09:04 PM
nice if you don't have an iphone or don't care about playin' your tunes through your stereo. i have a parrot set up for my iphone and have had nothing but issues with it since i bought it.

Jon
12-18-09, 09:42 PM
I don't think anything is going to help those of us with the B&B setup.

JimmyH
12-18-09, 10:32 PM
nice if you don't have an iphone or don't care about playin' your tunes through your stereo. i have a parrot set up for my iphone and have had nothing but issues with it since i bought it.

which parrot kit? I have always had great luck with the CK3000. It's the MK kits that I have had issues with.

galaxy1000
12-21-09, 03:15 PM
There is another solution to try, it's called the Galaxy 1000 and is available at www.galaxy1000.com

You simply unplug 2 plugs from the Onstar unit and plug them into the Galaxy 1000. No splicing, tying up a seperate unit etc. They are made in America, install in less than 5 minutes and carry a complete 100% satisfaction guarantee!

liqidvenom
12-21-09, 03:56 PM
There is another solution to try, it's called the Galaxy 1000 and is available at www.galaxy1000.com

You simply unplug 2 plugs from the Onstar unit and plug them into the Galaxy 1000. No splicing, tying up a seperate unit etc. They are made in America, install in less than 5 minutes and carry a complete 100% satisfaction guarantee!

Like i PM'd you about a week or so ago... if you want people to think your product works, find someone here to test it for you and do a proper write up on it. We have seen one to many companies hoping to add bt to our cars with nothing to show for it but lost money.

JD03Cobra
12-21-09, 05:23 PM
According to the Galaxy website it says the CTS is compatible...for what its worth.

JimmyH
12-21-09, 06:53 PM
No, they show the gen1 CTS as compatible. The gen2 they show as a product is coming soon.

Saleen09
12-21-09, 06:59 PM

If it is indeed availablem, I am ready to pull the trigger on this and evaluate for the community with a full install/write up/review.

I will contact you through the email on your site as well.

Thanks in advance.

liqidvenom
12-22-09, 12:30 AM
good luck if it works then its a good thing.

JD03Cobra
12-22-09, 08:46 AM
No, they show the gen1 CTS as compatible. The gen2 they show as a product is coming soon.

Gen2...what is that? I'm posting in the Gen1 forum.

nmaier2201
12-25-09, 03:59 PM
my bluestar just showed up, so after the holiday madness dies down I'll put it in and test it out.... I'm hoping it is not flaky like a couple of others on here.... we'll see

nmaier2201
12-28-09, 06:00 PM
got the bluestar in.... once the call is up and running the unit is fine... but the lag getting the head unit to start ringing almost always sends the call to voicemail before you can answer via the mirror. It's best to answer on the phone and then give it a second to transfer over to the car. I have a phone that deactivates the bluetooth when you put it on speaker, so it's easy to switch back and forth... if only the car would pick it up faster.

I have had it flake on and off when establishing a connection. other than the delay it's not a big deal

JimmyH
12-29-09, 12:49 PM
That's right. The delay is what most people were complaining about. I would guess it has to do with the data system in the car looking for some kind of data from the onstar box and not finding it.

However it's interesting; Reed's onstar interface box never had this delay. The speakerphone kit would cut the radio and start ringing at the same time the phone itself did. Though that could be because the box was not emulating onstar; it is simply telling the amplifier to switch to the onstar audio.

jnrandall
01-04-10, 05:40 PM
Any more on the Galaxy 1000 device?

Saleen09
01-06-10, 11:30 AM
Any more on the Galaxy 1000 device?

Never heard back from my email/VM. Going to call again today.

shadybx7
01-06-10, 11:41 AM
:pop2: my friends have been riding on me about the lack of blue tooth in a 40k car.. my buddy just bought a 22k colbalt SS and it had Bluetooth standard

jnrandall
01-06-10, 12:06 PM
I'm going to be trying out the new BlueSTAR 2010 next week at the CoStar Tech office, which is located just 30 minutes from me in Long Island. Chris, at CoStar, is very interested in trying out this device on the V1 model. I'll report back, in detail, next week!

jnrandall
01-06-10, 12:07 PM

Thanks Man!

bpitas
01-06-10, 02:46 PM
I'm going to be trying out the new BlueSTAR 2010 next week at the CoStar Tech office, which is located just 30 minutes from me in Long Island. Chris, at CoStar, is very interested in trying out this device on the V1 model. I'll report back, in detail, next week!

Definitely report back - would make a ton of people happy if someone figured out the connection issues!

Saleen09
01-06-10, 05:48 PM

Just got off the phone with Fred from Galaxy1000. Fred is fairly certain it should work fine, but wasn't 100%.I ordered one up which should be here by monday or prior. I will get it installed and let y'all AND Fred know.

NOTE : Fred was extremley helpful and courteous. When I asked about the return policy should the Galaxy1000 not work for the V's he said he' send a return label and give a 100% refund including shipping. Gotta love customer service, especially nowadays.

Saleen09
01-18-10, 05:15 PM
Just got off the phone with Fred from Galaxy1000. Fred is fairly certain it should work fine, but wasn't 100%.I ordered one up which should be here by monday or prior. I will get it installed and let y'all AND Fred know.

NOTE : Fred was extremley helpful and courteous. When I asked about the return policy should the Galaxy1000 not work for the V's he said he' send a return label and give a 100% refund including shipping. Gotta love customer service, especially nowadays.

Quick update, my order got hosed in shipping (not fault of Galaxy1000). Reordered today and should be here prior to the end of the week.

jnrandall
01-18-10, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the update. If you haven't been following my recent thread, my V is on a lift in Long Island waiting for the GMPP claims adjuster to decide if my oil pump or entire engine gets replaced. I hope to have my ride back by the end of the week and then I will be going over to meet Chris at CoStar to get my BlueStar 2010 installed.

Sorry to hear about the problem. That sucks.

nmaier2201
01-18-10, 06:06 PM
interested to see how this works out......

fstshrk
01-18-10, 07:15 PM
Hi

How hard is the BlueStar 2010 to install? Is it in the trunk or the rear parcel shelf?

liqidvenom
01-29-10, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the update. If you haven't been following my recent thread, my V is on a lift in Long Island waiting for the GMPP claims adjuster to decide if my oil pump or entire engine gets replaced. I hope to have my ride back by the end of the week and then I will be going over to meet Chris at CoStar to get my BlueStar 2010 installed.

Sorry to hear about the problem. That sucks.

once you get it installed, let me know so maybe we could meet up so i could see it in action.

jnrandall
01-29-10, 11:32 AM
once you get it installed, let me know so maybe we could meet up so i could see it in action.

Ok Will. I just spoke with Chris this morning and he is still patiently waiting. I am hoping for late next week or early the week after. GM approved a replacement motor for me and it arrives next week. Before it is installed, my new heads and cam will be added to the motor. :thumbsup:

Coincidently my mechanic is in the same neighborhood as BlueStar. As soon as I pull my car out of the garage, I will visit Chris.

Saleen09
02-05-10, 02:10 PM
I FINALLY was able to get time to get the Galaxy1000 installed last weekend and have used it all week and can give a good report/review of it's function and operation.

INSTALL :

Install was VERY easy. The OnStar module is located on the passenger side of the trunk. To access you just need to remove 6 screw down fasteners that hold down the trim peice that is on the rear most part of the trunk and side trunk liner. After that, you can pull away the trunk line on the passenger to access the OnStar module and wiring. To install the Galaxy 1000, you unplug the only two connectors that go into the OnStar unit ( both are white AND are different shaped/keyed so NO WAY to get them confused/connected wrong) and plug them into the Galaxy1000 unit.

Mounting the unit is going to be an owner by owner decision. For me, I found that I could "wedge" the Galaxy 1000 between the trunk floor and the OnStar unit/wiring very solidly. I placed a peice of adhesive on the top/bottom of the Galaxy1000 where it would contact the trunk floor and OnStar unit. After 1 week, I last night checked on the unit. Still solidly in place. No rattles or otherwise were heard at all during normal operation so I am happy with this solution. Others may choose use the mounting tabs formed into body of the Galaxy 1000 case (3) or otherwise.

SETUP :

This was an absolute breeze and the Galaxy comes with excellent included instructions as well as being available to print from their website.. Hold down the OnStar key for 5-10 second to put unit into paring mode. Go into your cell phone and find the unit labeled "ARGUS GALAXY" and connect. Password is "1234". Done and Done.

OPERATION :

I am an IT consultant/technician and am in/out of my car all day. Galaxy 1000 powers up/connects when I start the car, turns off/disconnects when i shut off the car. Have had ZERO issues this week and I talk a good 500 mins or so in the car on average per week. I had a Motorola T305 ( VERY nice external solution) and find that the Galaxy outperforms it in all aspects. I REALLY enjoy how it lowers the music volume when a call comes in (sometimes I crank out my Alice in Chains a bit loud :) ) and turns off the music when a call is accepted. Had to do this manually with my Motorola external unit. Same goes for turning the Motorola unit on/off when I got in/out of the car. Alot of times I stay within range of the bluetooth and when I would pick up a call onsite, it would transfer to my phone and I'd have to change over before talking to the client. PITA at times. The integrated OnStar microphone seems to be excellent. My car has a Corsa exhaust and not one person has complained or mentioned any increase/decrease from my previous setup. Most people say I sound better when comparing it to my Motorola unit.

At this time, I have not a solitary negative thing to say about the Galaxy 1000. I wish it was cheaper (isn't that true of every modification) but for me, it's was 249.00 WELL SPENT. Would not hesitate to buy it again. I will be ordering another unit for my wife's Tahoe.

JimmyH
02-05-10, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the writeup. I think alot of people have been wanting to know about it.

I would suggest you start a new thread with your write up to give it better exposure. And perhaps also start one in the regular CTS forum, as there have been plenty of guys in there who have been asking about it.

Oh, and $250 is not alot of money for something like this. A basic parrot kit is $125, and involves ALOT more wiring.

MVP
02-05-10, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the report....I will have to try this out.
I would also be interesting to see what model years are having inssue with the other units.
I have an 05 with the analog Onstar. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Saleen09
02-05-10, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the writeup. I think alot of people have been wanting to know about it.

I would suggest you start a new thread with your write up to give it better exposure. And perhaps also start one in the regular CTS forum, as there have been plenty of guys in there who have been asking about it.

Oh, and $250 is not alot of money for something like this. A basic parrot kit is $125, and involves ALOT more wiring.

JimmyH, will start a new thread.

I agree 100% on the price of the unit. Worth every penny and priced well for it's capabilites/design.

deedubb
02-05-10, 03:43 PM
Thank you for your input. I was one of those waiting to hear :D

JimmyH
02-05-10, 04:14 PM
I installed my first speakerphone back in the days of the bag-phone. Back in 1993. When you had an analog phone and a 3watt booster with a massive external antenna. I have been evolving with handsfree ever since. I don't think I could live without it. And I only make one or two calls a week :D

Slithering_Joe
02-05-10, 07:50 PM
This is good news. Thanks Saleen09.

I installed my first speakerphone back in the days of the bag-phone. Back in 1993. When you had an analog phone and a 3watt booster with a massive external antenna. I have been evolving with handsfree ever since. I don't think I could live without it. And I only make one or two calls a week :D

Those were the days....
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/1985%20Mercury%20Topaz/IMG_00008.jpg

fstshrk
02-05-10, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the update.

I see a Galaxy 1000 in my immediate future.

JimmyH
02-05-10, 10:59 PM
This is good news. Thanks Saleen09.

Those were the days....
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/1985%20Mercury%20Topaz/IMG_00008.jpg

that's it baby!

I had the bag with the booster under my seat, the handset was on a hang-up-cup on my console, and there was coaxial cable going from the bag to a monster through-glass antenna on my back window.

Remember the great thing about analog phones? Sure, you would get lots of static as you went through dead zones, but never a dropped call.

jnrandall
02-06-10, 08:56 AM
Great review and thanks Saleen09! Don't count out the CoStar BlueSTAR 2010 yet. I haven't been able to test it because my ride is in the shop for repairs. I am hopeful that I will get my car back this week and should be testing the BlueSTAR sometime right after Valentine's Day.

Stay Tuned!:pop2:

Saleen09
02-06-10, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the report....I will have to try this out.
I would also be interesting to see what model years are having inssue with the other units.
I have an 05 with the analog Onstar. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I emailed Fred on this matter as several people have inquired about it as well. Just further proving Fred's customer service, he emailed me back. Here is what he came back with.

"When you say the older analog 2002 and up are fine. It actually allows people to use hardware that has otherwise become outdated and useless. Anything older than that we’re just not positive, GM has been so uncooperative in supplying any information. If they have a class 2 data bus then it should work but we have only listed years and models that we have been able to physically try ourselves. That being said if anybody wants to try one we will refund their purchase price including the shipping and send them a return label. That’s our 100% risk free money back guarantee"

JimmyH
02-06-10, 09:03 PM
analog or digital should not matter. That difference is in the onstar unit itself. All the data bus in the CTS does is switch the amp over to the onstar inputs and grab the audio signals.