: Passing power at high speeds/Ricer

carguy16
07-13-04, 10:34 PM
How well are the 4.9 ltrs at passing on high way speeds? I finally got up to some pretty fast high way speeds today.

I drive a 2000 Ford Taurus, 3.0 ltr V6, 24V DOHC, 200 HP, 200 torque.

The only real power on the car is going from 0-60, you get a big power kick when you punch it at 20 mph, it builds, then around 45 MPH, power peaks around there and it takes off.

Today, I was on the interstate, its only been my 2nd time on there. Well, Im doing about 70 MPH, and I typically have the cruise set. For some reason, I kept getting stuck behind all the morons, that like to slow down, brake, slow down, etc...

I get tired of this, I put on my indicator, get in the left lane, smash the gas and pass them!:want: :devil: There were also a couple times where I got stuck behind a semi, and rule of thumb is you pass them as FAST as you can, so again stomp the gas and pass. There was also another instance where the interstate merges, from I-275 to I-75, the road forks and Im right next to a semi trailor, I floor it again and start passing as fast as I can. But, I have noticed at 70 MPH, when I floor it the RPM's hit 4,000 RPM, I know at one point I hit 90 MPH, fastest Ive ever been with my foot to the floor, and I was at 90 MPH.

I was very suprised how low the RPM's were for passing with my foot to the floor, I guess next time I will shift into over drive, so it shifts down from 4th to 3rd gear and gives you a bit of a power boost.

Another thing that annoys me, at lower speeds, lets say 30-45 MPH, some times you get stuck behind these people that accelerate dead slow. I guess the car is in a higher gear, which explains why when you accelerate nothing happens, but the further you push the gas pedal down nothing happens, then the car wakes up, it shifts down, and roars to life and takes off like a rocket, and at this time the pedal is at least 2/4 to 3/4 to the floor.

I just hope the 4.9 ltr isnt like this. I have driven a 1999 Saturn wagon before, and man it take for ever to accelerate on the interstate, I drove it once, and have since never drove it again, I also hate the fact on the Saturn when you take your foot off of the gas the car begins slowing down rapidly.

About those Ricer's, one thing I hate about 4 cylinder cars, they are so rough! Anything with a V6 or V8 seems to be smooth, anything else is really rough. I have seen those cars where they put rims on, tint the windows, change the head lights, and put those ugly spoilers on the rear, all they do is make noise. And most of them do weave in and out of traffic, or on a 2 lane high way you see them pass one car, only to be stuck behind another car, they seem to have no logic.

But, I am anxious to know how good the 4.9 is. The only time I really concerned about power, is getting on the interstate which is WOT, only if there isnt a car infront of me putting along, WOT when passing on rural roads and the interstate, WOT pulling into heavy traffic. Other then that, I am very easy on the gas, and follow the speed limits.

But, I am going to be happy with 4.9 ltr, because when I upgrade I am going to try and get another Cadillac with the Northstar, it will be something to look forward to. It would be boring to have a N*, then upgrade the car to another N*, at least with the 4.9 ltr I have something to look forward to, it will be one hell of a change.

-Byron

Elvis
07-13-04, 11:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to V8 effortless power. I drive a 4-banger now, and it does a really hard downshift whenever I punch it. In the wintertime, you can feel a little bit of power. In the summer when the A/C is running, you can forget it. The car makes a lot of noise like it's really trying, but there's just nothing left. It's a combination of hot air vs. cold, and parasitic drag of accessories.

illumina
07-13-04, 11:26 PM
a stock 4.9 is a decent passer on the highway, but not quite as powerful as the northstar.

carguy16
07-13-04, 11:39 PM
lol, try having the A/C on, and 5 people in a car with a 4 cylinder engine. Best thing to do is shut the A/C off when you want to accelerate. When you punch the gas when the A/C is on, the compressor will generally cut off, if you put your hand up to the vents you can feel the air not being cool. But, even though it cuts off, you still lose power unless you flip it OFF.

There is no way I would want a 4 cylinder car, unless it was a Subaru WRX. :)

Vesicant
07-13-04, 11:56 PM
We made a roadtrip in my bro's 4-Door Mercury Mystique with a 2.0 Zetec VCT... did great at 80-90 mph ... but you had to turn the a/c off when accel'ing hard, twas a rule lol. For only 125 hp and 5 people in the car INCLUDING a moderate amount of luggage... it did "better than expected"- we could pass cars nicely.

If we didnt have an alternator problem (was already occuring before the trip) i spoke of earlier in the forms, id say it was a great success... but we made it back fine after a fustrating change out. Brings to mind another problem with 4 cylinder cars, they package them too tight.

carguy16
07-14-04, 10:47 AM
Woops, I meant 5,000 RPM at 90 MPH, at 70 MPH when you punch it, RPM's start at 4,000 and build slow.

Spock
07-14-04, 09:37 PM
You hit 90 and the flux capacitor didn't kick in at 88?! You know that's broken!

:rolleyes2 (Isn't the bijillionth time he's made the joke)

RBraczyk
07-15-04, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't know if my flux capacitator kicked in, my redline is 4000 and max safe speed is 85.

Adam
07-24-04, 07:13 AM
I have a 4.9 ltr. in my Lincoln Continental (which doesnt have any suspension at the moment) and that thing would just fly. hit the gas and you were in the back seat. it did lug a little between 30 and 45 but other than that it was fast as hell, i have had it up to 120 on the interstate. i passed a highway patrolman and he didnt do nothin. i guess he figured he couldnt touch me from a dead stop.

LacSeville
07-24-04, 03:25 PM
:hmm: how'd that 5.0 to 4.9 swap go? i bet you meant 5.0...

pontiac and a 6cyl ford are the only other 4.9s i know...