Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone Ever Had To Replace Air Bag Control Module

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gsloecher 
#1 ·
The dealership gave me part #19124390. Said it is under passenger seat. Wants $750 to replace, the part is listed at $461. Anyone have any ideas on whether this is easily replaced? Places to get part? Can it be repaired?

I dont like driving around with an air bag light on but this seems really high. Please offer input and suggestions. Thanks in advance. RB

#2 ·
Mine was replaced last week under warranty.
My service manager told me that the module and sensors come as an integral part of a new seat bottom frame, and that the upholstery had to be taken off the old frame and put on the new one.
I didn't hang around to watch the operation, but it's fixed.
Part was $475 IIRC.

#3 ·
What code did they find? There are a lot of things we could be talking about here.

The primary air bag module or SDM is located under the center console. Those rarely, if ever, fail.
I have replaced many of them under the old recall but that should certainly have been done by now.

It sounds like we might be talking about the PPS module, "passenger presence system"
It is located under the passenger's front seat and is actually serviced by replacing the seat bottom cushion, sensor, and module. The codes for these would be very different.
If it is the PPS module then it is fairly easy to replace but it requires some upholstery skills, a few tools, and when it is done it has to be calibrated using a scan tool.

I can't tell you much more without knowing the actual codes and what they found.
The PPS can be pretty expensive to replace and I have seen a few of them go bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.