: Help..Fob programming please

rnkath08
05-09-09, 12:52 AM
I recently got my sts(06) which came with one key and one fob. I ordered another fob from Kadillak on ebay. The reprogramming instructions were okay, I got the fob set and it worked well. Unbeknowst to me, I found later that the original fob that came with the car now isnt' working, so I'm guessing that since I only ran the new fob thru the programming it took the place of the other?? I possibly should have run them both? Does anyone know? I will try to do both tomorrow and see if it works, but just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. Thank god for the key, as I was then totally stupid and left said working fob in the console, went to the movies and realized I'd locked myself out, without the key I'd have been sunk! So, the moral of the story here is I really have to rethink a lot about this push button and not leave the fob in the ride. (duh moment #332)
Also, was going to order another key from the same seller, hoping the reprogramming goes easier or is there something else I ought to know first....help, please......I feel quite dumb at the moment, thanks for any info....ps...both fobs have "2" on them, would that be an issue or not so much?

AllWheelEric
05-09-09, 01:02 PM
It's hard to say without knowing what instructions you followed. If you ran a 45-minute procedure with a few 10 minute waiting periods, then, yes, you deleted your other fob. Go into your user manual where you can find a different procedure to add a fob.

The number stamped into the back of the fob is only for human convenience. The electronics inside are the same. You determine which is fob #1 by using it first in the programming procedure.

rnkath08
05-09-09, 02:52 PM
Eric, that was exactly the instructions...waiting for my owners manual to show up (came without that and without the nav cd)...gotta love ebay though, will use the book method as soon as it gets here. Thanks again for the help!!!

EChas3
05-09-09, 09:53 PM
Well, you probably wouldn't have been pleased with the 'Add a FOB' procedure anyway... One of your car's FOB's has been lost but still consumed a 'memory postion'. You new one would have gone into memory location 3 (max of 4). Only the first two are tied to the customized driver settings or do remote starts. Try the procedure again but program both remotes. Pick the one you want for driver 1 and mark it (or otherwise keep track).

Here's a write up I got from the forum. Your version obviously works, just match both remotes! :)

Method 2 - Erasing/Adding Key Fobs (No Known Fob Available)
This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single key fob or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good key fobs within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 2. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 2 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.
The vehicle must be OFF.
Place the new/replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.
Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
At the end of the 30 minute cycle, a beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
Important: Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the UNLOCK button of each key fob programmed will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

Press the UNLOCK button on each key fob that was programmed to finalize the programming and confirm system operation.

rnkath08
05-10-09, 01:08 AM
got both fobs to start the car and to do the seat/steering preset, but one of them isn't picking up the side view mirror set, am I missing something that makes that sych???

EChas3
05-10-09, 08:34 PM
Side Mirror is not a FOB-matched feature. The switch position governs it because both drivers may park on either side of a one-way street!

EChas3
05-10-09, 08:37 PM
Oops, I'm not thinking. I assumed you were asking about the 'mirror parking assist' feature. Please ignore my previous post.

steelhrd
05-11-09, 11:22 AM
On this note i have lost my keys but have a fob is it possible to order new keys from the dealer with the vin #.

trackbait
05-22-09, 02:11 PM
Well, you probably wouldn't have been pleased with the 'Add a FOB' procedure anyway... One of your car's FOB's has been lost but still consumed a 'memory postion'. You new one would have gone into memory location 3 (max of 4). Only the first two are tied to the customized driver settings or do remote starts. Try the procedure again but program both remotes. Pick the one you want for driver 1 and mark it (or otherwise keep track).

Here's a write up I got from the forum. Your version obviously works, just match both remotes! :)

Method 2 - Erasing/Adding Key Fobs (No Known Fob Available)
This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single key fob or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good key fobs within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 2. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 2 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.
The vehicle must be OFF.
Place the new/replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.
Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Repeat steps 5-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
At the end of the 30 minute cycle, a beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
Important: Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the UNLOCK button of each key fob programmed will result in that fob being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is require to ensure transmitter operation.

Press the UNLOCK button on each key fob that was programmed to finalize the programming and confirm system operation.

In my 2008 manual, it seems to indicate the long 30 minute procedure is for CANADA Immobilizer. The manual shows a more simplified procedure for just a new remote #3 or 4. ??

I have #2 but not #1. If i get a #1 off ebay, do I still have to have the dealer reprogram #1 again?

EChas3
05-22-09, 10:25 PM
Yeah the manual is written poorly. The simple procedure is for adding FOB's. The long procedure resets all FOB's. You need that for both FOB's to store driver settings and work the remote start. The numbers imprinted on the FOB's are for info only.

I need to do it on my wife's car but have procrastinated because I'll be in trouble if I mess up and have to have it towed. (Even if it would be covered!)

trackbait
05-22-09, 11:01 PM
Well... Has anyone actually risked this procedure? That is resetting ALL the FOB's again? Will this work doing 1 and 2 from just any ole STS Remote (not shown on the top as 1 or 3 or matching part numbers or FCC freq's? And what about the acc/ign swith on all this time without going to auto powerdown mode? Then what?

Sure enough -- Here it is - right out of the owners manual... Seems to agree with post above.

http://www.c5dreamer.com/my-sts/FOBmanual.JPG
http://www.c5dreamer.com/my-sts/FOBmanual1.JPG