: Cadillac Should Give Us Option on Performance Shocks

sefa01
07-13-04, 06:13 PM
On the 2005s, the performance shock package is a $1,260 option. Yet I know that some dealers are quoting $1,800 or so to install these on 2004s (like I have).

I sent an e-mail to Cadillac to query them about this. Any thoughts?

StealthV
07-13-04, 06:22 PM
The V will continue to evolve in standard features, options, etc. To expect the same cost, let alone retrofitability, for essentially an '05 option for an '04 seems a bit unreasonable. What options will be out in '06? Will they even work on our cars?

To put it in a different context, when the optional redline comes out in a few months, should it cost an '04 owner $900 to have the car repainted?

Work with your dealer, they should be able to swing a ~$1300 install including the shocks and everyone is happy, eh?

sefa01
07-13-04, 06:50 PM
Stealth V:

You're talking apples and oranges. since the shocks are dealer-installed and the installation is the same for the 2004 and the 2005, why shouldn't it be the same price?

miscreant
07-13-04, 07:10 PM
On the 2005s, the performance shock package is a $1,260 option. Yet I know that some dealers are quoting $1,800 or so to install these on 2004s (like I have).

I sent an e-mail to Cadillac to query them about this. Any thoughts?Here's the thing. Cadillac added the performance shock absorber package as an option, kinda like if they came out with a 16" brake package or something (I know it wouldn't fit, but bear with me :rolleyes: ). To increase the performance above the stock performance. They are not saying the FG2 is a replacement for the suspension, or even saying there is anything wrong with the stock CTS-V. We've obviously discussed this before and there are people on both sides. GM whether right or wrong, will not admit that the stock suspension has any failings, so to GM the FG2 is a performance *option*.

Subsequently, when ordered *with* the car, it's $1260 and GM reimburses install time to the dealer. When ordered *after* the car, the price is slightly higher (MSRP) as is normal with just about any *after* purchase accessory, but not by much. Where the additional cost comes in is the cost to install it, as it's *not* reimbursed by GM.

Until GM admits the stock suspension is a problem, they aren't going to pay to install an item which they consider a performance option.

Rich H
07-13-04, 09:17 PM
GM whether right or wrong, will not admit that the stock suspension has any failings, so to GM the FG2 is a performance *option*.

There is no need for GM to admit that there is anything wrong with the stock suspension. All they need to do is to offer the stiffer shocks as a factory installed option dependent upon buyer preference. From everything I've heard, these stiffer shocks could be mounted at the factory with virtually no increase in cost to the buyer.

Also, GM and/or the dealers can't be making much profit on the installation of these shocks. Aren't the dealers keeping track of the number of these FG2 packages that are ordered to inform GM whether this should be a factory option? This is merely a customer satisfaction issue.

miscreant
07-13-04, 11:13 PM
There is no need for GM to admit that there is anything wrong with the stock suspension. All they need to do is to offer the stiffer shocks as a factory installed option dependent upon buyer preference. From everything I've heard, these stiffer shocks could be mounted at the factory with virtually no increase in cost to the buyer.
Indeed. I think you'll find that will be the case at a later date. If I had to guess "why" it would be that Cadillac probably contracted for a certain amount of the original suspension shocks from ZF Sachs, and probably need to exhaust these before they can enter into a different contract for less so that they can then offer the FG2 from the factory. And probably the reason for the higher than expected $1260 price would account for this...

globed70
07-14-04, 10:01 AM
Agree with all that this should be a factory installed option. Other than miscreant's supply-chain reasoning, it is possible that Caddy didn't want to deal with unhappy owners accusing them of fixing wheel hop for 05 customers (seeing as the 04 was only out for 6 months).

For those alarmed by the cost, I believe the American companies will catch-on to the Europeans in offering base cars at a "competitive" price than "jacking" us on the options. Porsche is the worst offender (as a previous owner I know). It must be the market, as BMW and Mercedes offer almost unlimited options in Europe, but still do some packaging over here. I'd rather pay a bit more for only the options I want, then to have crap I don't need.

StealthV
07-14-04, 12:14 PM
FG2 is not the be all, end all cure for wheel hop. It helps, but is not a fix.

TBDAugs
07-14-04, 01:48 PM
Just placed my FG2 shock package in the classified section on this forum.

Here's the link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=171

Ricky Flak