: Check Engine Light

HexWarrior5
05-07-09, 11:31 AM
I've had my 05 STS V8 for about a year now, and strangely, about 2 weeks after I installed my Corsa exhaust, my check engine light comes on and off randomly...it will stay on for about a day, then go off for a week or 2 at a time...I don't think this has anything to do with the exhaust (or at least it shouldn't) but I was wondering if anybody experienced this before and if there any solutions out there...

trackmasterdlb
05-07-09, 01:28 PM
I've been experiencing the same thing (no exhaust installed). I took the car in for service this weekend and the tech told me that the codes relate to a vacuum issue that Cadillac is researching, but as of yet there is no fix for it...

Angus Young
05-07-09, 01:44 PM
My check engine light stays on constantly, both cat's are reporting low Efficiency P420 and P430, dealer wants 2 Grand to replace the cats, its not that they are clogged as the car has been over 140 +. Car doesnt overheat ever and I run about 17.7 to 20 MPG, with the light on it will not remote start amoung other things.....

EChas3
05-07-09, 08:34 PM
My check engine light stays on constantly, both cat's are reporting low Efficiency P420 and P430, dealer wants 2 Grand to replace the cats, its not that they are clogged as the car has been over 140 +. Car doesnt overheat ever and I run about 17.7 to 20 MPG, with the light on it will not remote start amoung other things.....

You'd hate for something more serious to trip the SES light & have it go un-noticed. Unless you've used leaded gas, used a junk fuel additive or in some other way poisoned the Cat's, they should be covered under your Emissions Warranty. Did you report the problem before 72,000 miles?

If you've got high miles, you might try a variation of the old baseball bat trick. I had a car with a plugged Cat one time at beat it with a bat. It freed the exhaust up for another few months. No way to treat an STS!

Didn't I read the Cat's are incorporated into the exhaust manifold? I wonder if anyone knows any good tricks?

Maybe it's the sensor's and not the Cat's. Try another delaer? Anyone know how these codes get set?

Is EWill3rd around?

:crying2: