: 1996 STS Engine seized again what could be wrong?

johnnieboy13
05-06-09, 09:29 PM
LostDoubt you all remember me but last august my motor seized up on me when I was on the freeway and I got the low oil pressure mesage but it was too late for me to prevent the motor from locking. Anyway I was having transmission problems and my internal speed sensor was bad and it was running kinda hard at high speeds and didn't sound like I was switching gears. Well I found a new engine and trans and got it installed and was having the same trans problem. What's the odd of that with a different trans? It wasn't throwing the code anymore though so I kept driving with it like that and when I go about 85 I was almost redlining. Well sunday my engine locked up yet again and I haven't even had that one for a year. Sucks I know. The car started to overheat but before it enen got to the next line over half on the temp gague I pulled it over but before I stopped it cut off and now its seized again so I'm kinda lost and I don't kno what's causing my engines to lock up. There was plenty of oil, trans fluid and coolant in there so I'm stumped. I don't want to get a loan and get another engine/trans and have the same problems. Any ideas anyone?

Ranger
05-06-09, 10:26 PM
Describe "locked up". Anytime you put a used engine you are playing Russian Roulette. You should have had the heads pulled and Timeserted before having it installed. More costly? Yes, but you'd never have to worry about the head gaskets going. Not saying that is your problem. Need much more info.

johnnieboy13
05-06-09, 10:38 PM
Describe "locked up". Anytime you put a used engine you are playing Russian Roulette. You should have had the heads pulled and Timeserted before having it installed. More costly? Yes, but you'd never have to worry about the head gaskets going. Not saying that is your problem. Need much more info.

When I say locked up I mean it wouldn't turn when we tried to turn the crankshaft. Yes I agree I should have redid the head gaskets but I was low on funds and really needed the car and the motor ran very good in the beginning. Any ideas on the trans problem?

Ranger
05-06-09, 10:53 PM
Pull the plugs and try turning it. If coolant comes out of the plug holes, the head gaskets are gone and the engine is hydrolocked. Did the engine "lock" while driving or next time you tried to start it?

johnnieboy13
05-06-09, 11:19 PM
Pull the plugs and try turning it. If coolant comes out of the plug holes, the head gaskets are gone and the engine is hydrolocked. Did the engine "lock" while driving or next time you tried to start it?

It locked while it was in motion and wouldn't start when I let it cool down and attempted to start it. Checked the starter too.

Ranger
05-06-09, 11:35 PM
If it "locked" while in motion, meaning the motor abruptly stopped as opposed to just died, then you are screwed. Most likely bent rods and the engine it toast. It will need a visual inspection.

johnnieboy13
05-07-09, 12:18 AM
If it "locked" while in motion, meaning the motor abruptly stopped as opposed to just died, then you are screwed. Most likely bent rods and the engine it toast. It will need a visual inspection.

Preciate the response. I will try the plugs and see if I can turn it.

Submariner409
05-07-09, 08:11 AM
If your OP means anything, then you have some sort of transmission control problem that's losing 4th gear and TC lockup. Running the car, on a used engine, all day at freeway speeds ("redline at 85 mph" ???) is your problem. This time around, you'll need to repair the transmission problems in order to save the new engine.

93eldodave
05-07-09, 11:16 PM
You say is locks up after going 85 with tac a redline?? HELLO!!!! car is not shifting into proper gears and it's so quiet and your in a hurry you not noticeing it ...DOE!!! If it was a jo gibbs built engine you would be ok but really? The first enging went because of the trans trouble so you stuck a nother highdollar engine to the same bad trans?
Look im not knocking you at all but if you paid someone to fix this ...Man would i be pissed!!!
Next time go to the salvage yard and look at the donor , if it looks good (in nice,car looks taken care of)other than the rear bumper is in the back seatBuy the motor and trans together , Not much $$ difference and easer to change whole complete set than just the power plant...Just me thinkn..

Submariner409
05-08-09, 07:42 AM
He installed a used engine and transmission and had the same TCC and 4th gear fault.

johnnieboy13
05-08-09, 02:46 PM
Yea different engine and trans. I just don't want to buy another engine and trans and have the same problems I've been having. Could it be something else causeing these trans problems?

Submariner409
05-08-09, 03:54 PM
For 1996 there are two Northstar engine packages: The 300 hp (?) VIN 9 and the 275 hp (?) VIN Y. The PCM (Powertrain or Engine Control Module) is programmed for your car serial number, that long one in the windshield corner. The type engine/transmission must match the 8th character in that number. Your car uses the higher hp engine and a 3.71 final drive, so you need a VIN 9 package. Not saying you didn't, but a thought.........I have no idea of what the consequences would be of trying to run a VIN Y engine on a VIN 9 PCM/ECM.

johnnieboy13
05-08-09, 04:00 PM
For 1996 there are two Northstar engine packages: The 300 hp (?) VIN 9 and the 275 hp (?) VIN Y. The PCM (Powertrain or Engine Control Module) is programmed for your car serial number, that long one in the windshield corner. The type engine/transmission must match the 8th character in that number. Your car uses the higher hp engine and a 3.71 final drive, so you need a VIN 9 package. Not saying you didn't, but a thought.........I have no idea of what the consequences would be of trying to run a VIN Y engine on a VIN 9 PCM/ECM.

I used a engine and trans that came out of another sts and it was the 300 hp vin 9 one.

Submariner409
05-08-09, 04:33 PM
So much for that idea. :hmm:

dkozloski
05-08-09, 11:21 PM
Are you sure you put motor oil in the engine? I know a guy that had trouble like yours when he put salad oil in the motor.

Krashed989
05-09-09, 02:02 AM
So the question is, what's causing your tranny to kill your engines, since it's probably not the tranny itself doing the job....

Hmmmm... A few things go through my mind;
-stuck brake switch (would cause your TCC to not engage and your brake lights to always be on but is not very likely)
-Bad PCM (much more likely, but it might mean $$ so you'd want to be sure)
-Sticking shift solenoids (could be both trannys were sticking and not shifting right... Not as likely as the PCM, but I've seen weirder things.)

There's probably a lot of things I'm looking over here, but those are what pop into my head.

Mark C
05-09-09, 08:58 AM
If the engine is truely running at redline at 85 mph then theres more of an issue than the TCC not engaging, the transmission itself is not shifting out of second gear (maybe first gear). Could be sticking solenoids, incorrect adjustment on the shift linkage, no (really low)transmission fluid or something similar. Since its done it on two consecutive transmissions its more than likely something external to the trnsmission.

johnnieboy13
05-09-09, 05:30 PM
So the question is, what's causing your tranny to kill your engines, since it's probably not the tranny itself doing the job....

Hmmmm... A few things go through my mind;
-stuck brake switch (would cause your TCC to not engage and your brake lights to always be on but is not very likely)
-Bad PCM (much more likely, but it might mean $$ so you'd want to be sure)
-Sticking shift solenoids (could be both trannys were sticking and not shifting right... Not as likely as the PCM, but I've seen weirder things.)

There's probably a lot of things I'm looking over here, but those are what pop into my head.

If I buy another engine/trans combo is there anyway i can test the trans before I install it in the car?

Krashed989
05-09-09, 10:13 PM
Not that I know of... sadly... there may be a way, but I haven't seen it.

From my experience, transmissions are a trial and error sort of thing. If you don't fix it right, you wont know till you have it put back together again and in the car.

Superjim
05-10-09, 10:52 AM
If I read this right...
You are running 85 MPH and the tach is at redline.

On my VIN 9 car...that means that I am still in 2nd gear.
At WOT, mine shifts to 3rd at 85.

If you ran it very far that way...thats probably why your engine is locked up again.

zonie77
05-10-09, 03:35 PM
It is not that unlikely to have bad solenoids in two trans that old.

If you decide to replace the engine/trans I would recommend replacing the shift solenoids before installing. The kit costs around $50 (you need the bracket that comes in the kit!) and a couple of hours to install. There are threads with the install instructions, probably in tech tips section.

Then if it doesn't shift you start with the external controls.

No shifting (85mph at redline) is almost always solenoids.

johnnieboy13
05-10-09, 03:54 PM
It is not that unlikely to have bad solenoids in two trans that old.

If you decide to replace the engine/trans I would recommend replacing the shift solenoids before installing. The kit costs around $50 (you need the bracket that comes in the kit!) and a couple of hours to install. There are threads with the install instructions, probably in tech tips section.

Then if it doesn't shift you start with the external controls.

No shifting (85mph at redline) is almost always solenoids.

What external controls should I troubeshoot?

Ranger
05-10-09, 05:11 PM
If I read this right...
You are running 85 MPH and the tach is at redline.

On my VIN 9 car...that means that I am still in 2nd gear.
At WOT, mine shifts to 3rd at 85.

If you ran it very far that way...thats probably why your engine is locked up again.
Nah, It will run forever at WOT without any problems. During testing it was run at WOT for 300 hours (12.5 days).

zonie77
05-11-09, 01:05 AM
Ranger,

it might have been using oil and ran dry?:stirpot:

Hogg
05-11-09, 07:49 PM
Nah, It will run forever at WOT without any problems. During testing it was run at WOT for 300 hours (12.5 days).

Held at redline on an engine dyno, not pinging off the rev limiter.

peace
Hog

l306x
05-16-09, 03:54 PM
I think 93-95 was the years for the bad shift solenoid setup. PCM's can do some crazy things if they are bad. check the pcm first