: Wheel bolt pattern TROUBLES..... Please Advise....

DTS_BOI
05-06-09, 04:31 PM
I had an interesting adventure yesterday. By pure luck, I found and purcahsed a set of 20 inch wheels and good tires for my STS for only $500. I thought I hit the jackpot.

I installed the wheels in my garage and they fit on nicely. I noticed one tire was a little worn, so I went to Discount Tire to get 2 new 20 inch tires....

After waiting an hour, the manager came out to me and told me that the wheels were 5 X 4.5 and not 5 X 115 and that even though they fit on, it was a chance they could come off while driving. I said hell no, and told him that I put them on in my garage just fine, and I wanted them installed back on my Caddy immediately. He told me that my 5 X 4.5 wheels would fly off my car one day and kill me. He said he had many HORROR stories or people getting hurt by putting the wrong wheels on their cars....

He practically begged me not to have him do it for liability reasons, and finally he told me that he would GIVE ME THE SET OF 20 inch TIRES FOR FREE if I just took them and left!!! I was like wow man, are you serious???????

He told me to just take the 20 inch tires for free and leave without filing any complaints or anything. We were not arguing or anything so I dont know why he thought I would file a "complaint". So then, I took my free tires and went home.....

BUT...

I was scared as hell to put the 20's back on my car because he scared the crap out of me with his horror stories. He must have been realy serious since he GAVE me free tires just to leave..... I kept thinking about my rims flying off on the freeway or something and me getting hurt or wrecking my car. I got nervous so I decided to just put them on craigslist and sell them...

I put the 20's on craigslist at 9 p.m. and someone came with cash and picked them up exactly 2 hours later. I was happy to get my money back fast....

Anyways,

Will a 5 X 4.5 wheel be ok on my STS or should I stick with a 5 X 115???? Will I crash and die if I use a 5 X 4.5 wheel???

ifmracin
05-06-09, 05:07 PM
A quick search of the board will fill you with opinions an reading for you to be able to make your decision, been discussed many times.

EChas3
05-06-09, 11:04 PM
As a distinterested party (I like my stock 18's just fine) I think there is some danger. Lugnuts are designed to hold the wheel on but that force is not what keeps the wheel centered. The beveling of the nuts and the shape & position of the holes in the wheel does that job well. Without that mating of surfaces to keep the wheel centered, it seems logical that the studs, wheels & lugnuts would be stressed outside of their design. It might be fine but it is not as designed.

If one stud breaks, the rest are further stressed. Under heavy stress, "You picked a bad time to leave me...", imagine DW getting another chance to sing.

The only argument I've read that mitigates that position is that it may be possible to install a fitting between the hub and the wheel to mate the dissimilar patterns. Maybe I misunderstood. I do that!

Is it worth the chance of losing a wheel in a car that can exceed 150 MPH?

Someone you love might be be in the car. I think you did the right thing. You probably didn't even lose money.