: Camaro SS recalled for battery cable issue

Blackout
05-06-09, 12:17 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5242445/camaro-ss-recalled-for-battery-cable-issue

Camaro SS Recalled For Battery Cable Issue
By Ray Wert, 10:45 AM on Wed May 6 2009,

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/05/Camaro_Break_Down.jpg
Days after we first learned of a battery cable issue that caused the first reported Camaro crap-out, we're now told GM's officially issuing a recall for the problem on the Camaro SS. UPDATE BELOW.

Although we're told it only takes about 30 minutes to fix, we're being told GM's now issued a voluntary "official recall" on the 2010 Chevy Camaro SS over the battery cable issue that caused one Camaro5 member's new Bumblebee-yellow mullet-mobile to die less than 40 miles from the dealership. We're also being told GM's asking for the Camaro SS to be flat-bed hauled back to the dealership rather than driven there under its own power. More coming shortly.

UPDATE: We've just posted a gallery of pages from the technical service bulletin below so you can see how you'll be affected if you own a Super-Sporty version of the new Chevy Camaro. Sorry for the pages being a little bit out of order. Blame the interns. And by interns we mean us.

V-Eight
05-06-09, 06:28 PM
At least they're doing something about it right away.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-06-09, 07:33 PM
I have seen two this week. Both were bright red, one was the SS, one was the LT RS.

V-Eight
05-06-09, 09:21 PM
Lucky, I'm still waiting to see some

iowasevillests
05-07-09, 12:14 AM
Haven't seen one yet either....and although the battery cable is a rather embarrassing issue to have, if its the biggest fault in these cars over the first couple years I'd say that's pretty good.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-07-09, 01:37 AM
Oh GM, why do you shame me so?

Jesda
05-07-09, 02:28 AM
Good thing they got to it now! Man...

Blackout
05-07-09, 06:12 AM
Haven't seen one yet either....and although the battery cable is a rather embarrassing issue to have, if its the biggest fault in these cars over the first couple years I'd say that's pretty good.

So far the Camaro's list of issues consists of the battery cable, the mysterious wheel weights on the brake calipers, the mediocre performance results, the handling, and the cracking grille's. So three issues and they're not even out in mass numbers yet. GM is messing this cars launch up more and more

The Tony Show
05-07-09, 02:29 PM
So typical.

The "cracking grills" is ONE PERSON who took the car up to 150mph for a photoshoot who claims that the high speed caused the cracks- not exactly what I'd call an epidemic. And what's wrong with the weights on the calipers? Other than a bunch of internet detectives getting in a huff because they can't figure out what they're for, who gives a crap? If the theories are true that they were put there to stop squealing, I give them points for actually addressing the issue (as opposed to having everyone bitching about squealing brakes).

I suppose I should have expected it though- now instead of whining because the brakes are noisy, people whine about the fact that they fixed it. :doh:

Blackout
05-07-09, 03:26 PM
So typical.

The "cracking grills" is ONE PERSON who took the car up to 150mph for a photoshoot who claims that the high speed caused the cracks- not exactly what I'd call an epidemic. And what's wrong with the weights on the calipers? Other than a bunch of internet detectives getting in a huff because they can't figure out what they're for, who gives a crap? If the theories are true that they were put there to stop squealing, I give them points for actually addressing the issue (as opposed to having everyone bitching about squealing brakes).

I suppose I should have expected it though- now instead of whining because the brakes are noisy, people whine about the fact that they fixed it. :doh:
Wheel weights on a caliper is the most bogus way of "fixing" an issue. GM knew they had a problem so instead of properly fixing the issue they rigged it up to kinda work. And if you honestly think the adhesive on a wheel weight is going to withstand the kinda temperatures brake calipers get up too and still stay on there then you're only fooling yourself. Hell the wheel weights are lead and there's a possibility that they could actually melt all over the caliper.

V-Eight
05-07-09, 03:32 PM
So far the Camaro's list of issues consists of the battery cable, the mysterious wheel weights on the brake calipers, the mediocre performance results, the handling, and the cracking grille's. So three issues and they're not even out in mass numbers yet. GM is messing this cars launch up more and more

I wouldn't say 400+HP and 0-60 in 4.6 is mediocre.

Blackout
05-07-09, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't say 400+HP and 0-60 in 4.6 is mediocre.

Well seeing that the mustang GT with over 100 less hp and damn near 100 less tq does it in 4.9 then yeah it is kinda mediocre.

The Tony Show
05-07-09, 03:50 PM
4.6 is far from mediocre, and kills the current crop of Mustangs. The 2010 is about .4 faster to 60, but still trailing the Camaro while carrying a higher price.

Albertan
05-07-09, 03:58 PM
Blackout. FYI lead melts at 620F, brake fluid boils at 400F when new and fresh. After about 3 years it is around 300F. The lead weight melting will be one of the last concerns of the driver if the caliper gets that hot. Also remember that the outside of the caliper is in fresh air so it probably doesn't get over 200F. I know when I tracked my car I could always touch the calipers with out burning myself.
Try looking at the positive side of issues, it brightens one's day!

Blackout
05-07-09, 04:17 PM
4.6 is far from mediocre, and kills the current crop of Mustangs. The 2010 is about .4 faster to 60, but still trailing the Camaro while carrying a higher price..3 seconds is hardly killing anything. If you gave the Mustang a better exhaust and intake there's your .3 seconds if not more and that's hardly a 100 hp gain. And since when is the Camaro cheaper then the Mustang? According to Chevy's website the SS starts out at $31k while according to Ford's website the Mustang starts out at $28k. Even the top of the line GT premium starts out at $31k while the top of the line Camaro starts out at $34,225.

Blackout. FYI lead melts at 620F, brake fluid boils at 400F when new and fresh. After about 3 years it is around 300F. The lead weight melting will be one of the last concerns of the driver if the caliper gets that hot. Also remember that the outside of the caliper is in fresh air so it probably doesn't get over 200F. I know when I tracked my car I could always touch the calipers with out burning myself.
Try looking at the positive side of issues, it brightens one's day!Either way the adhesive won't be able to withstand those temps. A guy on another forum I am on used to do R & D work with Nissan and he claims that when Nissan started offering Brembo brake packages that he was far from impressed with the way they would fix issues. This is what he said

I was less than impressed by Brembo in my time at Nissan. They like off the shelf solutions, rather than doing any real design.Which sounds exactly like the wheel weights on the brake calipers.

V-Eight
05-07-09, 04:27 PM
.3 seconds is hardly killing anything. If you gave the Mustang a better exhaust and intake there's your .3 seconds if not more and that's hardly a 100 hp gain. And since when is the Camaro cheaper then the Mustang? According to Chevy's website the SS starts out at $31k while according to Ford's website the Mustang starts out at $28k. Even the top of the line GT premium starts out at $31k while the top of the line Camaro starts out at $34,225.

The Camaro starts at $22k. And if you gave the Camaro better exhaust and intake then we'd be right back at square one

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-09, 04:35 PM
Most of the pony car sales are in the V6 versions, in which instance the Camaro easily blows the Mustang and Challenger away.

Blackout
05-07-09, 04:37 PM
The Camaro starts at $22k. And if you gave the Camaro better exhaust and intake then we'd be right back at square one

Were talking V8's not V6's and you're wrong about them starting at $22k

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/FastSpecV/untitled-4.jpg

FYI: Mustang's start out at $21k

Blackout
05-07-09, 04:39 PM
Most of the pony car sales are in the V6 versions, in which instance the Camaro easily blows the Mustang and Challenger away.

Who cares. Only women and men who can't afford the V8 drive the V6 versions. And after the last gen we can easily see that performance does not dictate sales

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-09, 05:09 PM
The Camaro's V6 makes just 10 less horsepower than the Mustang's V8.

Blackout
05-07-09, 05:19 PM
Well that just goes to show that the SS is mediocre. The base model V6 Camaro makes 10 less hp then the Mustang's V8 and the V8 Mustang is within a half a second of the Camaro in damn near every performance category and the Mustang with it's solid rear out handles an IRS Camaro. So with all of this being said how exactly is the SS so much better then a Mustang? It's just going to get worse for GM once Ford throws the new 5.0 V8 in the Mustang

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-09, 05:46 PM
The new Camaro won both comparison tests in this month's issues of Car and Driver and Motor Trend. Pretty rare for a car to do that, much less a GM.

gary88
05-07-09, 05:56 PM
The new Mustangs are definitely a huge step for Ford, but 0-60 times aren't the end-all of judging a car's performance. The Mustang is still stuck in 1964 with a shitty live rear axle while all the Camaro models have IRS. You know why the Camaro costs more? Because it's better.

Blackout
05-07-09, 06:00 PM
The new Camaro won both comparison tests in this month's issues of Car and Driver and Motor Trend. Pretty rare for a car to do that, much less a GM.

The other thing I have been noticing that nobody really seems to be mentioning is that in damn near every shootout with the Camaro SS they usually pit it against the Challenger and Mustang. But why is it that we have yet to see the top dogs go at it? The Camaro SS is the top of the line so why not have the GT500 in there?

Blackout
05-07-09, 06:01 PM
The new Mustangs are definitely a huge step for Ford, but 0-60 times aren't the end-all of judging a car's performance. The Mustang is still stuck in 1964 with a shitty live rear axle while all the Camaro models have IRS. You know why the Camaro costs more? Because it's better.

The 1964 live rear axle handles better then the IRS Camaro. The proof is in the pudding. Just look at every shootout done so far. The Mustang out handles the Camaro in them all. Once the track packs start coming out it's going to be game over for the Camaro's once people start auto crossing them

V-Eight
05-07-09, 06:46 PM

Wow..........$1k more expensive than I said. GTFO.

The other thing I have been noticing that nobody really seems to be mentioning is that in damn near every shootout with the Camaro SS they usually pit it against the Challenger and Mustang. But why is it that we have yet to see the top dogs go at it? The Camaro SS is the top of the line so why not have the GT500 in there?

Right, lets compare a supercharged car to a naturally aspirated SS

93DevilleUSMC
05-07-09, 06:48 PM
The Camaro has much better fit and finish than the new Mustang. Arthur St. Antione was able to feel wind in his face with the windows all the way up in a hardtop 2010 Mustang during a test drive comparing that car against the new Challenger and Camaro.

93DevilleUSMC
05-07-09, 06:54 PM

Wow, a $1K difference? :shhh:

Blackout
05-07-09, 07:13 PM
Wow..........$1k more expensive than I said. GTFO.I've had my balls busted on here for far less.

Right, lets compare a supercharged car to a naturally aspirated SSTop of the line is top of the line. The ZR-1 is super charged so should that only be compared to F/I cars?

Blackout
05-07-09, 07:17 PM
The Camaro has much better fit and finish than the new Mustang.Have you been in both? Have you driven both? But that kinda is the complete opposite from everything I have been reading. Every body has basically agreed that the Mustang's interior is leaps and bounds beyond the Camaro's. One publication (can't remember which one of the top of my head) went as far to say they would prefer a base model Mustang's interior versus that of the Camaro's.

Arthur St. Antione was able to feel wind in his face with the windows all the way up in a hardtop 2010 Mustang during a test drive comparing that car against the new Challenger and Camaro.If that's the guys name from the MT review then the answer is obvious. They're the first people out there to have a window cave in or whatever it was they said it was. So you can chalk that up with the cracked grille from the Camaro with it affecting one car so far, but some guy on another forum I am on claims others have also had their grilles being cracked as well but I have yet to see anything else about it other then the one unit

V-Eight
05-07-09, 07:21 PM
I've had my balls busted on here for far less.

Top of the line is top of the line. The ZR-1 is super charged so should that only be compared to F/I cars?

No I'm saying they aren't comparable cars. First, SHELBY, means that its tuned by another company. Secondly, you should compare the supercharger z/28 that they are holding off releasing due to their financial situation.

93DevilleUSMC
05-07-09, 07:25 PM
Have you been in both? Have you driven both? But that kinda is the complete opposite from everything I have been reading. Every body has basically agreed that the Mustang's interior is leaps and bounds beyond the Camaro's. One publication (can't remember which one of the top of my head) went as far to say they would prefer a base model Mustang's interior versus that of the Camaro's.
If that's the guys name from the MT review then the answer is obvious. They're the first people out there to have a window cave in or whatever it was they said it was. So you can chalk that up with the cracked grille from the Camaro with it affecting one car so far, but some guy on another forum I am on claims others have also had their grilles being cracked as well but I have yet to see anything else about it other then the one unit

Whether or not I have been in both is totally irrelevant, but since you raise the point, have you? I doubt it.

V-Eight
05-07-09, 07:31 PM
Whether or not I have been in both is totally irrelevant, but since you raise the point, have you? I doubt it.

As well, I'd rather have a cheaper looking interior than leaking windows.

Blackout
05-07-09, 07:48 PM
No I'm saying they aren't comparable cars. First, SHELBY, means that its tuned by another company. Secondly, you should compare the supercharger z/28 that they are holding off releasing due to their financial situation.You're acting as if it's a Saleen. The car was made in conjunction with him and is a Ford product. It's an SVT product at the end of the day that just so happens to have a Shaleby badge on it to help sell it.

I have yet to drive them but I have been in both of them and the Mustang's interior is much nicer and of higher quality compared to the Camaro.

Blackout
05-07-09, 07:49 PM
As well, I'd rather have a cheaper looking interior than leaking windows.

Well I'd rather have leaking windows then having my front fascia fall apart because I drove fast

LS1Mike
05-07-09, 07:49 PM

I have! Sat in one last night! Very nice car.

One thing I want to point out is the SS is not the top car anymore.
It was only true from 98 to 02.
They are doing it like they originally did. The SS was below the Z28.
Not sure why they did it that way unless the firgure the average car guy knows that.

The Rally Sport (RS) appearance package brought deluxe interior trim and hidden headlights with it, and the high-performance Super Sport (SS) package had its own distinct decoration (including a domed hood with simulated vents, "bumble bee" stripes encircling the nose and the iconic SS badges), a heavy-duty suspension and larger D70-series tires on 14-inch wheels. Beyond that, the SS-350 model also offered a new 350-cubic-inch small-block V8 rated at 295 horsepower — Chevy's first 350. The Rally Sport and Super Sport packages could also be ordered together to form the most lavishly equipped Camaro of them all, the RS/SS. And it was an RS/SS convertible powered by a 396 that Chevy provided as pace car for the 1967 Indianapolis 500.

Almost outside the regular Camaro line was the race-oriented Z/28. Introduced in December 1966, the Z/28 was powered by a special high-compression 302-cubic-inch V8 whose displacement was achieved by matching the short-stroke crank of the 283-cubic-inch version with the big-bore block of the 327. Rated at 290 horsepower and built to rev, the radical powerplant was matched to a more aggressive suspension.

LS1Mike
05-07-09, 07:52 PM
I have yet to drive them but I have been in both of them and the Mustang's interior is much nicer and of higher quality compared to the Camaro.

That is pure opinion. I feel exactly the opposite.

gary88
05-07-09, 07:52 PM
I thought they axed plans for the new Z28?

93DevilleUSMC
05-07-09, 08:46 PM
The Z/28, according to MT, was put on hold, not axed.

The Tony Show
05-07-09, 09:44 PM
.3 seconds is hardly killing anything.

This coming from the guy who wets himself every time the GT-R shaves another second off their
ring time. If one whole second over 3.2 miles is a big deal to you, how is .3 seconds over 1/10th of a mile not impressive?

If you gave the Mustang a better exhaust and intake there's your .3 seconds if not more and that's hardly a 100 hp gain.

:histeric:

Yes- because we all know that an exhaust is good for 3/10ths of a second 0-60 (or more, according to you). I'm sure Ford could have made the Mustang a 4.6 second car by changing the mufflers and slapping a cone filter on it, but decided not to out of the kindness of their hearts. :rofl: Have you been hanging out with ricers lately or something?

Eric Kahn
05-07-09, 09:45 PM
I sat in one today, and as car & driver said, it is designed for short people, so that leaves me only the challenger I can fit in.

iowasevillests
05-07-09, 10:19 PM
Yes .3 of a second may not sound like much, but it depends on what times you're working with. When one car runs 0-60 .3 seconds faster but it takes 8 seconds to get there oh well...not that big of a difference....but when you're 3/10ths of a second faster from zilch to 60 and thats under 5 seconds that is a bigger deal. The percent different is more important than the time difference, and once you get under 5 seconds you're starting to get into the relm of declining returns.....1k in mods to a 5 sec car generally doesn't make nearly as much of an improvement as 1k on a car that runs 0-60 in 7 seconds...so you either get creative with how you tweak power out or shell out more and more cash.

V-Eight
05-07-09, 10:28 PM
I sat in one today, and as car & driver said, it is designed for short people, so that leaves me only the challenger I can fit in.

How tall are you?

Eric Kahn
05-07-09, 10:31 PM
6'6"

V-Eight
05-07-09, 11:19 PM
Would a 6'3" be ok in there, or still pretty tight?

iowasevillests
05-07-09, 11:24 PM
Well I have an issue with saying that a car is designed for a "short person" when the height of the reviewer is 6'6" which is in the roughly 98% range for Caucasian(assumption on my part) males in the US....aka taller than 98% of other males, taller than roughly 99.9% of the population if you factor in females. Generally speaking its only feasible to design items(desk, chairs, clothes, cars) for the 5% to 95% range, outside of that the variation gets so large that its just not feasible to design to insure that the range of adjustability incorporates ergnonomically correct distances for the people that are on each tail of the bell curve.....if it works out that it can be done its often done, but its normally not considered a design constraint/requirement.

Hence why we have Big & Tall stores, why you can special order chairs when you're taller than average etc.

Rodya234
05-08-09, 07:41 AM
^Like big and tall stores, the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham was also made for tall folks. :lol:

CIWS
05-08-09, 07:57 AM
OMG a brand new car from a brand new design is having some minor issues :dammit: WTF is the auto world coming to ?

Actually it just reinforces the fact that if you buy the first year model of a new design you had better expect there will be some issues that need to be addressed. If all you're going to do if complain about it then do yourself a favor and wait a year or buy something else. Like a 90K Nissan GT-R "supercar" after all they don't have any issues . . .

LS1Mike
05-08-09, 08:00 AM
OMG a brand new car from a brand new design is having some minor issues :dammit: WTF is the auto world coming to ?

Actually it just reinforces the fact that if you buy the first year model of a new design you had better expect there will be some issues that need to be addressed. If all you're going to do if complain about it then do yourself a favor and wait a year or buy something else. Like a 90K Nissan GT-R "supercar" after all they don't have any issues . . .

:thumbsup:

Blackout
05-08-09, 09:26 AM
That is pure opinion. I feel exactly the opposite.
For the most part the reviewers have agreed with my opinion

Blackout
05-08-09, 09:33 AM
This coming from the guy who wets himself every time the GT-R shaves another second off their
ring time. If one whole second over 3.2 miles is a big deal to you, how is .3 seconds over 1/10th of a mile not impressive?Because driving 3.2 miles flawlessly is a much harder thing to do then driving perfectly for 1/10th of a mile. If you can't go 1st-2nd-and possibly 3rd without f'ing up then you need another car.

:histeric:

Yes- because we all know that an exhaust is good for 3/10ths of a second 0-60 (or more, according to you). I'm sure Ford could have made the Mustang a 4.6 second car by changing the mufflers and slapping a cone filter on it, but decided not to out of the kindness of their hearts. :rofl: Have you been hanging out with ricers lately or something?Stranger things have happened. With just a crappy exhaust on my Mark VIII I dropped .4 seconds off of my ET and improved my 60' by .3 seconds so ya never know. There are aftermarket companies (Tubi as an example) that makes performance exhausts for Lamoborghini's so if a Lamborghini can get noticeable differences in performance from an exhaust then why couldn't a Mustang?

Blackout
05-08-09, 09:36 AM

Exactly. First year cars usually suck but in GM's case they have been developing it over 4+ years. There should be nothing at all wrong let alone having a recall right out of the gate. The new Mustang wasn't being developed over 4+ years but amazingly we haven't heard anything weird about them like mystical wheel weights on the calipers, or wiring harnesses that need to be replaced before you even pick the car up from the dealer. The only issue so far is the test car from the MT test about the window, other then that can anybody else come up with anything?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-08-09, 09:45 AM
Challenger FTW! :hide:

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/2009-dodge-challenger-srt-8.jpg

The Tony Show
05-08-09, 10:31 AM
Because driving 3.2 miles flawlessly is a much harder thing to do then driving perfectly for 1/10th of a mile. If you can't go 1st-2nd-and possibly 3rd without f'ing up then you need another car.

My point exactly. A second less on the 'ring requires not only improvements to the car, but also must be attributed mostly to the driver (not the machine). There's so many variables on the 'ring that (as you pointed out in another thread) a Cobalt SS can turn a better time than cars 4 times its price. Since 0-60 is so easy, credit for any superiority must be given to the car.

Stranger things have happened. With just a crappy exhaust on my Mark VIII I dropped .4 seconds off of my ET and improved my 60' by .3 seconds so ya never know.

Got a link for that exhaust? If I can shave .3 0-60 with an exhaust, I'm buying one for my LSC today (and yes, I'm serious).

Blackout
05-08-09, 12:41 PM
Got a link for that exhaust? If I can shave .3 0-60 with an exhaust, I'm buying one for my LSC today (and yes, I'm serious).
http://www.meineke.com/ there's one around the corner from where I work and I heard they do performance exhausts for a nice price. I tried to get them to do a true dual exhaust but they weren't that skilled. Geno from http://www.lincolnmotorsport.com/ has a true dual exhaust setup that's very nice but at the time was outta my price range. But I went to Atco bone stock in my non LSC Mark VIII and the best it ran was a 15.2 with a 2.4 60'. After I got the exhaust done from Meineke it ran a 14.921 and it's 60' went down to 2.103. FYI: Not too many people seem to know this about the Mark VIII's but in order to get the best 1/4 time out of them you gotta turn the traction control off, turn O/D off, and manually row the gears. Best time I ever got out of it while leaving it in drive was a 15.4 versus 14.9 damn near a 14.8 with manually rowing the gears.

gary88
05-08-09, 02:15 PM
If it's endorsed by George Foreman, you know it's quality :thumbsup:

YouTube - MEINEKE commercial with GEORGE FOREMAN

Blackout
05-08-09, 03:34 PM
Oh and unless you have a cool guy who is willing to take some of the cat's off then it's going to sound more like a V6 then a V8. They wouldn't take my cat's off so I know

CIWS
05-08-09, 06:00 PM
Exactly. First year cars usually suck but in GM's case they have been developing it over 4+ years. There should be nothing at all wrong let alone having a recall right out of the gate. The new Mustang wasn't being developed over 4+ years but amazingly we haven't heard anything weird about them like mystical wheel weights on the calipers, or wiring harnesses that need to be replaced before you even pick the car up from the dealer. The only issue so far is the test car from the MT test about the window, other then that can anybody else come up with anything?

Almost any new design takes years to develop, and everyone of them has some kind of issue(s). We've simply been hearing about the Camaro for 4 years.

Blackout
05-09-09, 10:36 AM
Almost any new design takes years to develop, and everyone of them has some kind of issue(s). We've simply been hearing about the Camaro for 4 years.When they have been hyping up this car for so long and trying to get it in movies, tv shows, commercials, etc. for so long before it comes out it's going to get people to wonder wtf is taking so long. This has been GM's diamond in the rough for years now and when out of the gate there's recalls that's not a good sign. Hell even the first year for the new redesigned Malibu doesn't have any recalls!

Blackout
05-09-09, 10:56 AM
Just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who's up in Massachusetts visiting his mom this weekend. He stopped over at Herb Chambers Chevy and Pride Chevy/Pontiac and was checking out new Camaro's and he couldn't believe the markups that were tacked onto them. Both places had the same markups on them but V6's have a $5000 markup, V8 1SS have a $8000 markup, and V8 2SS have a $13k markup. The one Camaro he was looking at was a hair over $45k and then he went to a Ford dealership and they have a new GT500 on sale for $42k.

The Tony Show
05-09-09, 01:00 PM
Strike while the iron's hot, eh? You can bet that they'll probably sell them for that too, as there's always people out there willing to pay the money to have the first one on the block.