: Bad head gasket without any symptoms???

maeng9981
05-06-09, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone :)
I recently got my car back from the shop, and they said I might have bad head gaskets. I know it's very common in 97-99 n*s.

But my question is, my car doesn't show any symptoms of failed HG.

It is not overheating, coolant temp stays in 195~215, no white smoke from exhaust, no smell of coolant, idling is fine, no coolant and oil mixing, runs just good (except some noise from unknown place - probably you know if you read my previous threads.)

Is there any possiblity, it could be bad head gaskets?

STSS
05-06-09, 01:59 PM
I wouldnt fix anything that isnt broken, unless you plan to pull the engine for another reason.

Even if the heads go in 2 months, it wont cost you any more money to get them fixed. It would be different if the heads blowing ment you did more damage to the engine.

You can always buy the home kit, I think you can get it for under 30 bucks online, or 50 at napa, and test it for exhaust gasses in the coolant yourself. Either that, or I think you can pressure test the cyliders as well.

STEVEHO
05-06-09, 03:08 PM
Many years ago I worked at a VW garage. The service manager would wait till a customer was ready to leave and he would casually say "you know about the front brakes don't you?" The customer would became concerned and you would not believe the number of unnecessary brake jobs he would get just by causing worry and frightening customers. Keep driving it till you get symptoms and enjoy it.

zonie77
05-06-09, 05:12 PM
Did you ask them why they "thought" you had bad HG's? Their kid need braces? Vacation time? They need new tires?

If they didn't tell you why they "thought" that then ignore them...and start wondering if they are the shop you should be going to.

Ranger
05-06-09, 10:05 PM
Are you using coolant? That is the only thing you left out. If not, then relax.

maeng9981
05-07-09, 02:16 AM
They said they ran a coolant test.

No, it's not using coolant. So I guess I can just ignore..

Thank you guys.

zonie77
05-07-09, 12:06 PM
If you want to double check them go to a radiator shop that does coolant tests. Radiator shops are cheaper and usually do it while you wait.