: Hello! Just getting my 80' CDV back after winter killed it... Maintnence tips?

durrk johnson
05-06-09, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone...

Its been a while...

My car died in winter and the brakes went out. I didnt have enough money to fix it so it stayed in the shops lot for like... 4 months.

People are telling me to sell my car... But i dont want to.. Because I love it.

(It was my first car, I bought it in mint condition with 76,000 miles on it... 4 years later, the paints all chipped and theres a huge dent in the rear quarter panel. But I still love it. :cloud9:)

The shops said my master cylinder and everything need to get replaced and its coming out to over 1000$ to fix everything with the brake system.

I wasnt keeping up with maintnence due to having short funds...

But I now know that I need to maintain my car and fix what I have destroyed.

What kind of maintnence should I perform that I can do myself so that i can save money and not destroy my car?

Spark plugs? ehh...fluids? Sorry, Im ridiculous when it comes to fixing cars. :cookoo:

csbuckn
05-06-09, 10:54 AM
It depends on the type of mechanic you are. You can start with an oil change. Master cylinder isnt hard but you have to bleed the system after

durrk johnson
05-06-09, 11:17 AM
im not any type of mechanic... but I know how to do some things...

csbuckn
05-06-09, 12:32 PM
If you want to start working on your car a little then you might as well. Its mainly nuts and bolts and remembering where they came from. There is alot of stuff that takes knowledge, special tools and experience but there is alot of stuff that you can do also. Then when you get done you'll be like "the shop wanted 200 to do that" Oil changes, plugs and wires, fuel filter all sound like a good place to start

cadillac_al
05-06-09, 01:37 PM
You are at a crossroads in life. Do I want to learn to fix my own cars or pursue a lucrative career so I can pay other people to fix them for me at astronomical prices? I started fixing my own cars when I noticed auto mechanics didn't appear to be all that intelligent and I wondered if I couldn't do things better myself. Now I see that auto repair can be a very lucrative career if you're not bogged down with morals and a conscience. Honest mechanics are hard to come by so if you ever meet one treat him nice and buy him a beer or a doobie once in a while and you may be able to avoid the astronomical prices.

CaddyshackCadillac
05-06-09, 02:08 PM
honestly i wouldn t bother fixing it ide sell it to me for a really great deal.....haha just kidding honestly keep it man these things are becoming more and more rare your car is 29 yrs old ...fix a bit here a bit there maybe a friend of a friend can help ya out and save ya some cash but def dont sell it and if ya do pm me first...p.s. post some new pics so i can see it

durrk johnson
05-06-09, 02:11 PM
Hmmm... Thanks for the responses fellas!

Do you guys think you could help me put a list together of things I should do as far as maintenence goes?

^^haha i wont be selling it... Ive decided that Im gonna try to save up some cash to restore it... It was so great at a time, Id like to bring it back to life... :) I have some old pics of it... No new ones tho... :/

durrk johnson
05-06-09, 02:20 PM
Heres some pics of Blue at the lake 3-4 years ago in this thread... Sadly he does not look as pretty as he once did. :( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/73272-big-blue-lake-few-pics-my.html

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-06-09, 04:14 PM
Buy yourself a Factory Service manual. I have one for each of my cars and they were like $25 on Ebay. It gives very detailed, step by step instructions on how to fix stuff and you need very little mechanical background. I am pursuing a career as a mechanic myself but I still wind up taking my car to a shop now and then simply because I don't have the tools. The last big thing I had done was the water pump. I had to bring it in because you have to jack the motor out of the car to replace it.

Many auto repairs can be done yourself in your driveway with nothing more than a basic tool set and a floor jack. Brakes are fairly easy once you learn how to bleed them. The pipes require no special tools to bend, just some patience and careful handling.

Unfortunately with the age of the car you are passed the point where maintenance will save you lots of money. Things will break and they will need to be replaced. The only thing maintenance will really protect are the engine and trans, but an oil change is really all you can do and even then things can still go boom. Even changing the sparks is not maintenance, it's repairs because the only time you have to replace them is after they are already worn out.

durrk johnson
05-07-09, 12:05 PM
^^ Hey I do have a chilton book for my car, and I do use it from time to time... Theres just alot of stuff I cant do... I dont have any tools... a place to fix my car... etc.

So should I at least get a tune up?

plugs... wires.. timing..

IS there anything I need to worry about with the wheels? Such as bearings or something?

And ehhh... I dunno... Theres gotta be more stuff I should check out...

BRICKS
05-07-09, 03:37 PM
he means a service manual from the factory not a book with pics that leaves most of the shit to the imagination.

i work at a shop myself but started really working on my own shit when i got my first slant back. all the shit is pretty easy as long as you pay attention to the what an where. as far as a list goes

tranny flush, brake flush, coolant flush, brake pad and shoe check, new plugs, wires, oil change, new filter, fuel filter check, upper and lower radiator hoses, belts. etc

just go through the engine and check things out. easier to see and work on it if u clean it first tho.

1980coupe
07-12-09, 02:09 AM
hey nice blue coupe, I own a 1980 Cadillac Coupe too; it's colonial yellow with a matching top and leather interior in Sierra Saddle code 603, If you need any help regarding anything I have those service manuals they mentioned here; it's like the size of a phonebook, also got a electrical troubleshoot manual, and wiring diagrams. Just stuff I bought on eBay a few years back. Hope you still have the car and let me know if I can be of some help. Thanks

1980coupe
07-12-09, 02:11 AM
hey nice blue coupe, I own a 1980 Cadillac Coupe too; it's colonial yellow with a matching top and leather interior in Sierra Saddle code 603, If you need any help regarding anything I have those service manuals they mentioned here; it's like the size of a phonebook, also got a electrical troubleshoot manual, and wiring diagrams. Just stuff I bought on eBay a few years back. Hope you still have the car and let me know if I can be of some help. Thanks

:thumbsup: