: Need Help, Car Will not "turn on"

MaineWater
05-06-09, 08:14 AM
I was driving down the highway when all of a sudden the car shut off, now I thought it was the battery, but all lights work and power seats. I go to turn the ignition switch and nothing happens. Is it a fuse, relay, fusible link if so wher could it be?

jayoldschool
05-06-09, 09:09 AM
When you turn the key, do the lights go out?

MaineWater
05-06-09, 11:55 AM
When I turn the ignition "on". There are no dash lights,chimes, at all, no radio. The door lights come on when i open the doors. or if I put my headlights on. If I press the radio the clock shows, but it seems like my igniton is disabled or like there is some fuse or fuse relay that is shorted.

jayoldschool
05-06-09, 12:55 PM
That's not what I meant. If you have lights on, do they go out when try to start the car, and come back on when you release the key?

MaineWater
05-06-09, 02:20 PM
The lights do not do anything when i turn the ignition and try to crank

MaineWater
05-06-09, 03:23 PM
I also remembered this car has a remote starter, would that have an effect on this?

jayoldschool
05-06-09, 06:33 PM
I would bet it is the remote starter. I had to disable one for a co-worker to get his car to start...

Of course, check all your fuses first!

MaineWater
05-06-09, 07:37 PM
The fuses were the first thing I checked, I also tried to use the remote to start it, still no go, so maybe it does have something to do with that. I will investigate further.

1990CaddyBrougham
05-06-09, 11:36 PM
Id check that remote start BS.... those things suck.

May 17th, Cadillac Day at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum....

Be there, or drive a Lincoln....

MaineWater
05-07-09, 09:22 PM
Figured out my problem, a wire from the battery burnt out. I spilced in a new one and it is back again, hopefully it will not happen again.

jayoldschool
05-07-09, 09:25 PM
:thumbsup:

My_favorite_Brougham
05-07-09, 10:41 PM
Just the other day, I had almost identical problems on my '83 Oldsmobile. I replaced the battery cables but it still didn't fix it. Turns out the bolt that holds the positive battery cable onto the starter had come loose. Weird.