Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Howto: Disable Horn Honk on Lock/Unlock?

17K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Natedog 
#1 ·
Okay, I've done some serious searching and I can't find an answer to this:

My '05 CTS-V honks twice when unlocking and once when locking, or the reverse, don't exactly remember. I want to turn this off.

I've disabled "Horn Sounds at Lock" in the Nav personalization menu and there is no change.

Do I have an aftermarket alarm perhaps? Just bought the car a few days ago, but that's all I could think of. I don't have a special remote though, just the standard Caddy one as far as I can tell. How would I go about figuring this out, short of pulling the kickpanels etc. and looking for an alarm box?

Another thing that makes me think I have an aftermarket alarm: the other day I closed the trunk (I had previously locked the car with the remote) and the horn honked about 5 times, then stopped. Sort of like a shock sensor had been triggered....

#4 ·
It sure sounds like it.

I just went out and messed with it a bit in the parking garage.

Two honks: unlock
One honk: lock

I located where the lock/unlock horn is, and it looks like there are two horns, located just inside the front grill, outside the radiator, sort of mounted to the inside of the bumper. You can just see the top one through the grill, with the lower one below that. They are about 18" towards the passenger side of the car center-line. Are these stock? The wiring to them looked pretty stock (black wrapped with proprietary connectors.)

#5 ·
I think only one is stock but it would require me walking to the garge to look to know for sure.

#6 ·
You have two horns stock and those are in fact the stock horns. I know because when I flooded my car I got water in both of those horns and now have none. I need to buy a couple new horns one of these days. I actually want my car to honk when it locks lol Hey just send me your horns and we can kill two birds with one stone! Mine will honk and yours wont!

#7 ·
I've disabled "Horn Sounds at Lock" in the Nav personalization menu and there is no change.
I used the nav to disable mine, #1 remote has horns and #2 does not...

thats weird that yours doesn't work. do you still have a warranty? bring it in and let them deal with it

#8 ·
Okay so I'm out of town away from my car, but I remember that when I change things in the menu I always have to remember to push something else like "save settings" or something like that after I change things otherwise it will never change. Try changing it again and see if there is something that says "save" or something like that on the side of the screen. I'm not aware of any aftermarket alarms that work with the factory remotes so if you're using the factory remote you don't have an aftermarket alarm.

#9 · (Edited)
but I remember that when I change things in the menu I always have to remember to push something else like "save settings" or something like that after I change things otherwise it will never change.
I'll try that. Otherwise, I guess I'll have the dealer look at it when I'm getting my plates put on....

Does anybody's car honk at both lock and unlock? The Nav personalization setting seems to indicate that it honks only at lock which I wouldn't mind. I really don't want it to honk at unlock though, especially twice.

#10 ·
my 07 honks once at lock... nothing at unlock... the #2 key fob doesn't honk at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.