: Low gas = check engine light

lreddiablo
05-04-09, 04:16 PM
I have read other posts where some people have reported wierd things happening when gas is almost out. Yesterday I was at a shoping center and turned on the car to go next door to get gas since I was about on fumes. The check enging light came on and I got the typical reduced power. I have a code reader so I checked it and it was a Camshaft Sensor 2 Malfunction. I reset the code. Since then drove over 100 miles, no problem. Could this have just been a case of wierd errors on low gas or could this be an issue?

WillySTS
05-04-09, 08:32 PM
I have read other posts where some people have reported wierd things happening when gas is almost out. Yesterday I was at a shoping center and turned on the car to go next door to get gas since I was about on fumes. The check enging light came on and I got the typical reduced power. I have a code reader so I checked it and it was a Camshaft Sensor 2 Malfunction. I reset the code. Since then drove over 100 miles, no problem. Could this have just been a case of wierd errors on low gas or could this be an issue?

No, low gas has nothing to do with it. If your car is a V6 you may be developing a problem with the timing chains stretching. Or if the engine is low in oil the actuator may throw a code.

lreddiablo
05-04-09, 10:55 PM
It's a V8 STS4, oil level is fine, although I am in need of a change which I plan on doing in the next week or two