: UltraView Roof Safety Issue/Maintenance!

Paulie Walnuts
05-04-09, 11:53 AM
Long time forum reader - this forum has saved me $$$ - my turn - checked Ultraview Threads already but maybe I missed - sorry if ever mentioned before.......

2004 SRX N*- AWD 102,000 miles - yesterday at 60MPH my Ultraview developed severe wind noise and rattle so badly as I accelerated onto the freeway I pulled over.

What I found was the Torx Screw/Bolt holding the driver side front hinge down had come out on it's own - not stripped or broken - just out and laying in the channel - in such good shape I limped over to an Autozone - borrowed a T25 size torx tool and reattached in a couple of minutes - holding just fine right now.

However - please check all four corners of yours tonight! If this happened at the 75-80MPH I usually cruise to Tampa Florida at - I would have - best case lost only the roof - worst case - injured someone with a flying Ultraview, a thought that still makes my heart stop.......

Good news is it's fixed and the Tampa Bay Rays beat Boston without me missing a pitch.

Please check out your "under pinnings" soon.

G32006SRX
05-04-09, 09:26 PM
I read this somewhere before but the owner said they were loose after having the glides just replaced. I think I'm going to take mine out and put them back with some blue locktite.

Paulie Walnuts
05-05-09, 07:14 AM
that's a very good idea - I'll be doing the same this weekend

Habu
05-05-09, 10:28 AM
I had a similar incident about 3 weeks ago. I went to open the roof and as it began to open I started to hear a loud rachetting sound and the glass froze after only opening about 6-8 inches. We were about to head onto the interstate so I attempted to close it. It made the same noise and would not close completely-it stayed open about an inch or so. We proceeded home and I kept the speed under 60 as I was concerned about the integrity of the roof in this position. I found one of the roof hold down bolts- the same one mentioned in the first post, sitting in roof channel. It was impossible to access the bracket to reinsert the bolt so I sealed up the roof with duct tape and brought it to the Caddy dealer the next day.
It ended up needing a new motor, track and numerous other parts. I imagine that when I opened/closed the roof I ended up stripping the track. Anyway, it was covered under the certified warranty program. Parts and labor were over $1800. I suggest that you all check those attachment bolts.

dmannscaddy
05-05-09, 01:12 PM
my front torque screw just came out on mine but how did you get your back in becuase my sunroof is stuck almost closed and i cant seem to be able to reach it

The Wrench
05-05-09, 08:01 PM
Yep. I posted here awhile back; my '08 had one come loose when it was less than a year old. Luckily I just happened to find it before it came out.
Get the roof in just the right position, about 6 inches open, and you can insert the proper torx bit. Use blue Locktite and torque to about 80 In/lb.

DG

USAFRET
05-05-09, 08:21 PM
A couple of questions:

1. Can someone post a photo os these bolts
2. What size Torx is needed
3. What is the proper torque (if any)

Thanks in advance

Tom

George Ware
05-05-09, 11:18 PM
A couple of questions:

1. Can someone post a photo os these bolts
2. What size Torx is needed
3. What is the proper torque (if any)

Thanks in advance

Tom

Please? and what type of maintenance do you perform on this roof?

TIA George Ware

Paulie Walnuts
05-06-09, 06:26 PM
Torx size is T25 - I was able to access it easily when just partially open - tricky aligning the holes - but a 10 minute job with my wife in the car and the Autozone clerk standing by - for $8 bucks he "loaned" me what I needed - Love Autozone!!!!!

Jake's SRX
05-06-09, 06:50 PM
While browsing the forms one nigh I came across a link to a library and downloaded some items that may be of interest to you. I had the dealer clean ours before delivery
Hope this helps...
Jake's SRX

USAFRET
05-07-09, 08:30 AM
While browsing the forms one nigh I came across a link to a library and downloaded some items that may be of interest to you. I had the dealer clean ours before delivery
Hope this helps...
Jake's SRX

That's good stuff, I've saved these for a "rainy day". My 09 did make a loud "popping" noise (which sounded more structual) the very first time I took it for a test drive and was leaving the dealers lot that had a few "speed bumps" I took at a slight angle. I pointed this out and it was "corrected" prior to deliver but the work order is cryptic in what was done.

However I still a slight noise with the roof closed in/around the passenger side of the roof, can't tell if it's the roof or Sun Shade. Guess I'll have the wife drive while I sit in the passenger seat and try and locate the noise. It's very pronunced since the cabin is otherwise as silent as a bank vault.

Thanks for sharing these tech doc's.

Cheers

Tom

Jake's SRX
05-07-09, 08:21 PM
I looked for the post that I found those from. For the rainy day reading search the posts by lusterblade and the post is titled,
Service Manuals Online in tech tip forum.
See the reply by jeffrsmith for the link. I pasted it here but not sure if it will work but here you go...

http://www.sjcpls.org/content/databases

Then go to the auto repair reference section.

Thanks to jeffrsmith for the link...

George Ware
05-07-09, 08:31 PM
Thanks so much Jake!

George Ware

USAFRET
05-08-09, 06:48 AM
Thanks so much Jake!

George Ware

DITTO and Book Marked. Of course 2009 isn't listed yet, but I'm sure 2008 data will be almost the same.

Cheers

Tom

jpmanring
06-30-10, 04:34 PM
It is shocking to see that others have had this issue and Cadillac/Gm still contends that it was a rock that broke it. It happened to me yesterday and there wasn't anyone near me to throw up rocks. Traveling at 70MPH and having the sunroof explode on you is scary stuff. I am so thankfully that my children weren't in the car. I field another incident with the NHTSA. If enough people do then it might force GM to change their position.

It is really hard to break safty glass. I've hit side windows with a hammer and they did not break so I wondering where GM gets off saying a rock flew up and smashed it.

iJay
07-04-10, 09:34 AM
Mine shakes really bad when it is closing, some times while reversing, no road noises tho I am going to check this out now. Car is scheduled for servicing tommorow, I saved those PDF's thanks I ll forward it to the dervice dept as they work on the other issues.

smithb
07-04-10, 02:35 PM
Shaking or chattering should only require lubrication. GM says to use their SuperLube (I bought from the dealer) that has PTFE in it.

iJay
07-04-10, 11:53 PM
Ok cool, after taken a look at the 4 bolts they are all on there and secure. The vehicle is going in tommorow @ the dealership its under waranty so I will have them take a look at it.