: newb question about tune-ups

Mizugori
05-04-09, 01:01 AM
What exactly is involved in a tune-up for a cadillac and about how much should this cost?

I'm looking at a 1994 eldorado, owner says it needs a tune-up and that's all, it has 117k miles on it, seems to be in decent shape from the pics. How will I be able to tell if this is a bs excuse and it really needs something major? How will it show that it "needs" a tune-up?

Anything else I should look for?

thanks!

Submariner409
05-04-09, 09:59 AM
If you're contemplating a 15 year old car, your best bet would be to pay the $250 to a local mechanic or Mom&Pop shop and have them go over the car. There's just too much to do for a half-hour tire kick.

"All it needs is a tune up" may well expand to brakes, shocks, radiator/hoses, transmission work, whatever. The car is right in the ballpark where accessories and options begin to fail. Once you're sitting in it, key in hand, common sense and objectivity go out the window.

Mizugori
05-04-09, 10:38 AM
you mean $250 = analyze the car for me before I purchase it? just looking at it not doing any actual work?

Ranger
05-04-09, 11:37 AM
That seems a little high to me, but then I really don't know what a mechanic would charge for that.

A "tune up" technically is plugs and maybe wires. On the Northstar A/C Delco plugs should run about $40 and wires $125 (as best as I can recall) from http://www.rockauto.com. If it needs a tune up it would likely have a misfire. What symptoms is this car exhibiting that makes him say "It needs a Tune up"?