: Performance Brakes?

IML726
05-03-09, 11:50 PM
I have a 2004 SRX V8 AWD. My question is how does one determine if they have performance brakes or not?

My vehicle does not have the sport package, which makes me think I don't have performance brakes. However, it does have the luxury and towing package. Any help is appreciated.

conedoctor
05-04-09, 12:39 PM
Define Performance brakes?

Do you mean larger calipers, rotors or pads.

I don't think the SRX came with brake options.

Your best bet to improve your brakes is pads, hands down. Don't get part store pads, get good pads.

The Hawk ceramic pad is fantastc or if you want a bit better go with the HPS, they only make front pads but most braking is done up front.

If you want to match pads front rear then Porterfield makes a really nice pad R4-S, these you can get front and rear.

The Hawk ceramic will not dust and work very well, the HPS and R4-S will dust but not any more than a stock pad.

I have had the Hawk ceramic on all my cars and love them, I will be going R4-S this summer when it is time to change.

IML726
05-04-09, 09:29 PM
I was looking online for rear brake pads and a couple of sites had choices for pads w/ performance brakes and pads w/o performance brakes. When I logged into alldatadiy.com for more info, they listed part numbers for pads w/ and w/out performance brakes.

I called my local cadillac dealer and found out that GM makes only one kind of pad for the SRX, they did however have a couple of different caliper designs. Thus, my 2004 Cadillac SRX N* V8 AWD has performance brakes.

conedoctor
05-05-09, 11:57 AM
Interesting.

I did lots of research into this but all what FMSI# they have.

I did not find an option for the SRX V8 or V6 so I would say the brakes are standard, if you want to call them performance I guess you could but there is no upgrade that I could find.

FMSI#1019 Front
#1020 Rear

IML726
05-05-09, 11:27 PM
I dont think there was an option for different kinds of brakes. The gentleman from the parts department asked for the last 8 #'s of my vin to determine which type of pad would be required, b/c there were a couple of different options (performance or non performance).

Here is the infro from alldatadiy.com
Rear Pads OEM Part # price
Without Performance Brake 89047758 $142.96
With Performance Brake 89047757 $96.44

USAFRET
05-06-09, 03:36 AM
Some Cadillac's have a "Performance Brake" option. On my son's 2005 STS is was RPO J55.

I'm not sure the SRX actually has this "option".

IML726
05-06-09, 03:49 AM
I dont think there was an "option" to select performance brakes. The person from the parts dept said that there were a couple of different options when it came to the brake pads and needed the last 8 of the vin to see which were the correct pads.

He also said that GM only makes one kind of pad but designed a couple of different calipers for the SRX and that's where the choice b/w performance and w/out performance?

What other reasons would there be for 2 different part numbers for brake pads.

George Ware
05-07-09, 09:58 PM
Some Cadillac's have a "Performance Brake" option. On my son's 2005 STS is was RPO J55.
Really? WOW I have that option on my 88 & 08 Corvettes.
On the 88 it's larger rotors.
On the 08 it's larger crossdrilled rotors.
My 04 V8 NS SRX has the JE2 Brake Lining Perf Driving.

George Ware