: need rebuilt short block-Northstar

APM
07-13-04, 10:53 AM
Can anyone tell me if there are any providers of rebuilt short block for the northstar engine. Having trouble because mechanic is telling me that boltholes were stripped out and aluminum block can not be repired. Helicoil fix was unsuccessful. What would it cost?
Thanks,
Dwayne

mastertech
07-13-04, 12:08 PM
They don't sell short block Northstars, and your mechanic's knowledge level is higthly suspect. There is a process called Time-serting, which is a thread repair specifically for the Northstar. Suggest you contact your local dealer.:)

ShadowLvr400
07-13-04, 01:24 PM
Why not buy a used motor? Maybe even a slightly hotter one. :) My Eldo's going to the junkyard, so the motor will be available, been serted n so forth, ported n polished heads, etc.

zonie77
07-13-04, 05:59 PM
Shadow...what happened to your Eldo?

STS
07-13-04, 11:49 PM
we helicoil at my dealership. haven't had a problem that i know of yet.

ShadowLvr400
07-14-04, 01:44 AM
Bounced off 1 tree, wrapped around another. Visit my car domain site, page 1 has a quick descrip, page 6 has pics. Thread about it in the General Discussion.

APM
07-14-04, 12:43 PM
Do you do the above mentioned Time-serting or are you using regular HeliCoil?
thanks,
D

kcnewell
07-14-04, 11:38 PM
we helicoil at my dealership. haven't had a problem that i know of yet.

Hopefully you are using the correct TIMESERTS and not helicoils..... Helicoils will NOT hold the Northstar headbolts. They are not a one piece solid insert and they are not long enough.

kcnewell
07-14-04, 11:41 PM
Can anyone tell me if there are any providers of rebuilt short block for the northstar engine. Having trouble because mechanic is telling me that boltholes were stripped out and aluminum block can not be repired. Helicoil fix was unsuccessful. What would it cost?
Thanks,
Dwayne

You should have your "mechanic" buy you the engine. If he had used the correct Timesert insert kits for the Northstar head bolt holes the engine is easily repairable. Helicoils are specifically NOT recommended for repairing the Northstar head bolt holes as the helicoil style repair threads are not a solid insert design that distributes the load of the bolts and the helicoil inserts are not available in the correct length. Timesert has the correct length and design insert for repairing the head bolt holes. Specifically called out in the GM service literature and on Timesert's website. Your mechanic should have researched this...or at least bought the service manual so as to know how to correctly repair the engine.

dkozloski
07-31-04, 02:23 AM
Heli-Coil kits found at your local auto store are one thing and specialty Heli-Coil inserts designed and manufactured for high stress aerospace applications are a completely different kettel of fish. I managed an aircraft engine overhaul shop for over ten years and we used hundreds if not thousands of Heli-Coils to repair damaged threads and to replace inserts that were installed by original manufacturers and never had a failure if the correct inserts, tools and techniques were used. Some of these were ultra high strength bolts threaded into magnesium and tightened to several hundred pounds feet torque. The idea that they can't handle a head bolt for a Northstar is ludicrous. Heli-Coil inserts are sold in a mutitude of lengths, fits, and materials. Some are designed for tight fitting studs, others are free running for capscrews and screws. They have an engineering department that can help you select the right application for your repair.