: Right Rear Grinding Noise

dan1166
05-03-09, 01:18 AM
This is a new problem. The other day, I was pulling into a parking spot and had to make a sharpe right turn. I heard an awful grinding noise, like metal to metal from the right rear of the car. So I went to an open area and made sharpe right and left hand turns. I heard the noise both ways. This is at low speed of course.(under 5 MPH).

Has anyone on this forum experienced this type of noise? The car is a 2006 STS rear drive with only 18,000 miles on it. Brakes are good, but it sounds like a worn out disc pad grinding on the rotor. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan, the STS Man

EChas3
05-03-09, 02:29 AM
Hi Dan,

Have you had the rear seal re-call done (assuming it applies)?

Do you have the limited-slip differential?

If you're handy, check the rear-end lub level & fill as necessary. Any shop could handle this if you're dealer-averse. Check the manual for the proper lubricant.

Get someone else to drive & make the turns while you listen outside to be sure of the source of the noise.

One of these steps should provide further direction.

Good Luck!

Lifer
05-03-09, 05:09 PM
I had this noise - from a sticking right rear piston in the caliper. 2006 STS V8 JE5 brakes, 30,000 miles. Seems the rears are platic material and the fronts are steel. Why the difference or the failure I don't know.