: The Eight Worst New Car Features

Ralph
07-13-04, 03:54 AM
Do you agree with these?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7288

tru504187211
07-13-04, 04:51 AM
Radar Guided parking...what ever happened to learning to drive!

Auto-locking doors...doesn't my '93 have that or is this something different?

majax
07-13-04, 05:51 AM
I love autolocknig doors, in case I forget to lock them when I get in.

:worship:

airbalancer
07-13-04, 08:30 AM
I think DRL make the roads safer. Mostly on country roads at dawn and dusk

Sandy
07-13-04, 10:14 AM
My 60 Spcl has some of them & my Townie has all but the Laser speed control, and I love them all. I don't think any of them are silly. Especially like the reverse warning sensor, it allows me to back up in very tight spaces, and never risk touching the back fascia against a wall or whatever, and yet go all the way back to within 3 inches. Especially now with cars not having bumpers.
The thing that I think is really stupid is on some high-line Lexus LS430s. The doors (2 front & 2 back) can be power closed, from the driver's seat. WHEN would one ever need this? Passengers exit and you yell at them, 'DON'T push the doors shut!!! " Then you can yell, "WATCH THIS" !! Who Hoo, show 'N tell" time, lookie what I got.

Msilva954
07-13-04, 10:30 AM
It is the same as the automatic Trunk pull down that we have......the other day I had to yell at a friend "DONT SLAM THE TRUNK"........he slammed it anyways..

Caddy Man
07-13-04, 12:14 PM
i think the backup sensor is a great idea...it always helps me back into tight spaces when i had my DTS. the dts is a big car, and im glad it came with it, made parking so much easier in city environments. Its not that you dont know how to drive, its that sometimes there are very tight spots. i live in the city, and belive me they work. But the DRL annoy the hell outta me. as a young person, sometimes you need to kill your lights for various reasons (nothing illegal) and i hate how i do not have control over the vehicle because of that.

Sandy
07-13-04, 01:51 PM
The gadget that I really miss is the one that allows you to drive with your High Beams "ON" and then senses oncoming traffic and dims your High Beams to low (or normal) beam, until the oncoming car(s) pass, and then returns the headlights to High Beam. It was called Guidematic on Cadillac, Safety Sentinel on Imperial and Automatic Beam Changer on Lincoln. I am not talking about Twilight Sentinel Lighting (G.M.). THAT is the one that leaves your lights ON for a pre-determined time length, and then shuts them off. THAT'S a whole other option.
On a dark night, it's VERY dark around my area, and many deer in the frequent woods. I wish they had neve discontinued that smart headlamp changer. I also remember Oldsmobile 98s having it in the 80's.

Caddy Man
07-13-04, 02:02 PM
The gadget that I really miss is the one that allows you to drive with your High Beams "ON" and then senses oncoming traffic and dims your High Beams to low (or normal) beam, until the oncoming car(s) pass, and then returns the headlights to High Beam. It was called Guidematic on Cadillac, Safety Sentinel on Imperial and Automatic Beam Changer on Lincoln. I am not talking about Twilight Sentinel Lighting (G.M.). THAT is the one that leaves your lights ON for a pre-determined time length, and then shuts them off. THAT'S a whole other option.
On a dark night, it's VERY dark around my area, and many deer in the frequent woods. I wish they had neve discontinued that smart headlamp changer. I also remember Oldsmobile 98s having it in the 80's.
yea my 91 towncar had that option. never really used it though.

majax
07-13-04, 02:36 PM
It is the same as the automatic Trunk pull down that we have......the other day I had to yell at a friend "DONT SLAM THE TRUNK"........he slammed it anyways..
Those pull down things are useless, just something more that will break.

Caddy Man
07-13-04, 03:33 PM
Those pull down things are useless, just something more that will break.
what an automatic trunk pulldown? what cars have it?

Sandy
07-13-04, 03:53 PM
Lexus LS / Mercedes S-Class / BMW 7-Series / Infiniti Q & the 2003/2004 Town Car. I have it on my Town Car. It was an $800.00 option - but standard on the T.C. Limited. It works from either your key fob -or- from a button on the driver's door panel. It will motorize pull your trunk lid from the fully opened posistion all the way down, kiss the latch, and then pull down to closed/locked pisistion. People go nuts when they see it. It also includes another necessity: A built into the trunk insulated removable picnic basket with build in bottle opener and handles on each side, and when closed forms a bench for two people to sit on. It's finished in material to match the trunk "carpet". When installed in thetrunk it's not noticeable at all.

Caddy Man
07-13-04, 04:23 PM
Lexus LS / Mercedes S-Class / BMW 7-Series / Infiniti Q & the 2003/2004 Town Car. I have it on my Town Car. It was an $800.00 option - but standard on the T.C. Limited. It works from either your key fob -or- from a button on the driver's door panel. It will motorize pull your trunk lid from the fully opened posistion all the way down, kiss the latch, and then pull down to closed/locked pisistion. People go nuts when they see it. It also includes another necessity: A built into the trunk insulated removable picnic basket with build in bottle opener and handles on each side, and when closed forms a bench for two people to sit on. It's finished in material to match the trunk "carpet". When installed in thetrunk it's not noticeable at all.
oh wow...i didnt know they had those, i kno about the minivans have the self closing rear hatch...but whats the point of the trunk system? cant u just get out and shut it? i mean anytime u are goin to use the trunk u are right there anyways. :confused:

Sandy
07-13-04, 06:54 PM
It's basicaly a show-off toy, but at times, it does come in very handy.

Example:
My son went out to my car to get his computer tower out of the trunk. He forgot to take the key. I went to the window & popped the trunk for him. With his arms loaded with computer stuff, I then click it closed for him.

Another time I freaked out the neighbors with their (Oh so wonderful) Lexus GS. It was right after I got the Townie, and they walked over to see it. With key fob in pants pocket & finger on the button, I faced the car in our driveway and spoke aloud: "TRUNK OPEN" and it opened. Then I did "TRUNK CLOSE" and pushed the button in my pocket, and of course...it closed. I then told them it was a Voice operated trunk, and could "learn" up to 3 different voices!

I think they went home & kicked the GS !

Caddy Man
07-13-04, 10:29 PM
It's basicaly a show-off toy, but at times, it does come in very handy.

Example:
My son went out to my car to get his computer tower out of the trunk. He forgot to take the key. I went to the window & popped the trunk for him. With his arms loaded with computer stuff, I then click it closed for him.

Another time I freaked out the neighbors with their (Oh so wonderful) Lexus GS. It was right after I got the Townie, and they walked over to see it. With key fob in pants pocket & finger on the button, I faced the car in our driveway and spoke aloud: "TRUNK OPEN" and it opened. Then I did "TRUNK CLOSE" and pushed the button in my pocket, and of course...it closed. I then told them it was a Voice operated trunk, and could "learn" up to 3 different voices!

I think they went home & kicked the GS !

LOL that sounds great...i'd like to see that.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
07-14-04, 01:01 AM
I dont see any of those features as being bad.....especially the seat belt one, the worst new feature on cars is voice control that doesnt work

Ralph
07-14-04, 03:46 AM
My '91 Caddy has the trunk pull down. Sandy is right, it's great to impress people, except when it creaks a little performing its magic.

I heard a story about Mercedes (I think) having those door closers, and a test drive in the winter here. Apparently someone tested a new Benz with that feature and the battery was low or something, and everytime they came to a red light, they had all the doors swing open, and they had to grab them to keep from freezing. :D

Ralph
07-14-04, 04:14 AM
what an automatic trunk pulldown? what cars have it?

Are we confusing "trunk pulldown" with "trunk closer?" Aren't they two different things?

On my car, you have to lower the trunk until it clicks, then the motor does the rest. (trunk pulldown?)

I know the Lincoln Navagators advertize the hatch open and closing power feature. I also like how the 3rd row seats are power operated and completely fold away, unlike Escalade as far as I know.

Ralph
07-14-04, 04:22 AM
Auto-locking doors...doesn't my '93 have that or is this something different?

Your 60 is probably just like my '91 in that as soon as you shift from park to drive, the doors lock. I like this better than my cousins Chrysler Dynasty which locks the doors only after you have achieved a certain pre-determined speed (around 10 mph). What's the point of your doors locking when you are already going that fast? If the mugger can keep up on foot, maybe he has earned the right to the money in your purse or wallet :D

Sandy
07-14-04, 10:09 AM
Trunk Closer incorporates Trunk Pull-Down to use your above terminology. Trunk Closer automaticly brings the fully opened posistion trunk lid all the way down, until it makes contact with Trunk Pull-Down to secure & lock it. My Town Car also has a semi automatic hood opener. After pulling the lever under the dash to pop the hood, you lift the hood about 6 inches, and then it takes over and lifts its own hood the rest of the way up in the air.

RERM
07-14-04, 10:45 AM
I for one, think radar park assist is the best thing since cruise control, I just wish my Seville had it for the front bumper as well.

ShadowLvr400
07-14-04, 11:16 AM
I agree with all of it, except, the seatbelt, and auto lock features. I do kinda like those being there. The DRL was eating up my bulbs in the Eldo. I'm kinda surprised that iDrive isnt listed, hehehe. And Evil Evil traction control.

Msilva954
07-14-04, 11:46 AM
Idrive is great for cars the the Bimmer 7/5/6......but with a 3 or any other car without all the technical crap I would forget about it....its ALOT easier to use then the old fart jurnalists claim it to be...and BMW takes at least an hour to walk you through the process.

I cant stand that throttle by wire/ braking by wire.....Mercedes already had a recall and they claim it wont be in redesigned models because of expense......when I drive I like to feel the MECHANICAL LINKAGE between my foot and the pedal......why bother driving an appliance??

Ralph
07-15-04, 04:05 AM
Idrive is great for cars the the Bimmer 7/5/6......but with a 3 or any other car without all the technical crap I would forget about it....its ALOT easier to use then the old fart jurnalists claim it to be...and BMW takes at least an hour

I heard BMW lost many potential customers because of I Drive, and that's why, supposedly, they made it more simple for 2004.

I don't agree with the Express down window opinion of the author. I like that feature when I am fumbling for my key to open the parkade, etc. Someone also made a good point about back-up sensors on the front of the car, but then how would it work? It would have to be programmed somehow to differentiate between parking and driving down the street in "Drive" and not going off.

Sandy
07-15-04, 01:58 PM
The front ones (Audi A8 / BMW 7 & M-B S-class) only "work" at speeds UNDER 5 MPH.

brougham
07-15-04, 02:10 PM
I agree with the backup alarm. You don't need to have a Toyota beeping like a truck. That would just annoy people. One of our Fords does that seatbelt thing but if the guy who wrote that actually read the owners manual he'd see that you can disable it. Plus you're supposed to wear a seatbelt when you drive so if you are it's not going to beep at you anyway :suspense: And those auto down windows don't always have that problem that he talked about.

"what an automatic trunk pulldown? what cars have it?"
Pretty much all Cadillacs have it. I like it on my Brougham D'Elegance. Its pointless but it's cool to see the trunk close by itself like that :)

Caddy Man
07-15-04, 02:42 PM
I agree with the backup alarm. You don't need to have a Toyota beeping like a truck. That would just annoy people. One of our Fords does that seatbelt thing but if the guy who wrote that actually read the owners manual he'd see that you can disable it. Plus you're supposed to wear a seatbelt when you drive so if you are it's not going to beep at you anyway :suspense: And those auto down windows don't always have that problem that he talked about.

"what an automatic trunk pulldown? what cars have it?"
Pretty much all Cadillacs have it. I like it on my Brougham D'Elegance. Its pointless but it's cool to see the trunk close by itself like that :)
ive seen the auto trunk latch, we used to ahve it on our 91 towncar, you would push the trunk down and when it would latch, it would pull itself shut...what sandy was talkin about was the feature where the trunk is fully in the open position and with a remote, it completly shuts by itself. I dont think the old broughams had that option...correct me if i'm wrong.

brougham
07-15-04, 06:23 PM
ive seen the auto trunk latch, we used to ahve it on our 91 towncar, you would push the trunk down and when it would latch, it would pull itself shut...what sandy was talkin about was the feature where the trunk is fully in the open position and with a remote, it completly shuts by itself. I dont think the old broughams had that option...correct me if i'm wrong.

No they don't. But that's what the original post you replied to was about. It was before Sandy started talking about his trunklid.

Ralph
07-16-04, 04:29 AM
Rainsense wipers? Are these really necessary?

Msilva954
07-16-04, 10:01 AM
Rainsense wipers? Are these really necessary?

Oh yea...im soooo cought up driving......I cant flick my wrist and turn the wipers on.......Cmon give me a brake. Next thing will be snow sense tires that automaticly convert to chained tires.

Chuck C
07-16-04, 10:17 AM
"Belt Minder": ...Wearing a seat belt is a fine idea. But it's not the automaker's business to play the role of Mommy.

This is a very absurd conclusion. Q: In today's corporate culture, who gets sued first when something goes awry? A: The guys with the most money (i.e. Ford). It's important to provide some level of social responsibilty in the products one creates hence the reason why after certain car ads, car companies will typically say "always wear your seatbelt". The "belt-minder" device may be a little excessive, but it's something innovative that promotes car safety which is an objective of many car companies.

One-touch power windows This one is definitely annoying but to certain degrees. In my car, one holds the down button for 2 seconds before the window automatically rolls down. In my dad's STS, it's so touchy for up and down that mastering the art of window opening/closing has become annoying.

juiceE
07-16-04, 02:12 PM
ONE DAY UR GONA HEAR BOUT SUM KID GETTIN HIS FINGERS CRUSHED IN THE TRUNK LID FROM AUTO CLOSE, AN THAT WILL B THE END OF THAT FEATURE... I ALWAYS HAVE TO REMIND PPL NOT TO SLAM MY TRUNK...I DONT THINK THE FEATURE WAS MENT FOR THE LAZY...MORE SO TO KEEP THE QUIETNESS OF THE LAC

Oh yea...im soooo cought up driving......I cant flick my wrist and turn the wipers on.......Cmon give me a brake. Next thing will be snow sense tires that automaticly convert to chained tires. MY FRIENDS 97 PARK AVE HAS THAT, AND I THINK ITS STRAIGHT TO HAVE UR WIPERS ADJUST FOR U....JUST A LIL MORE LUXURIOUS

...lol magically popping on chains on the tires would be too "demolition man"ish:bighead:

Msilva954
07-16-04, 02:54 PM
Id rather see higher quality interiors out of alot of companies (buick) rather then crap like rainsensing wipers.....the most convient of them all is the Auto Air Conditioning....the best thing to ever happen to cars.

Caddy Man
07-16-04, 04:40 PM
Oh yea...im soooo cought up driving......I cant flick my wrist and turn the wipers on.......Cmon give me a brake. Next thing will be snow sense tires that automaticly convert to chained tires.
i had them on my dts...dont mean to sound lazy...but it was great when i was in a storm and rain would get heavier and softer very quickly and instead of my goin through tryin to find the best setting it did it for me.

Jesda
07-17-04, 10:18 AM
I hate DRL, auto-locking doors, and right now radar cruise control is flaky. Backup cameras with screens are confusing to me -- I'm too used to just turning my damn head and looking. But when parallel parking I suppose it could be useful (I simply dont parallel park anymore, and havent in years).

Features I do love and couldnt live without are:
Automatic climate control

I wouldnt mind having:
Rain-sensing wipers
All four windows with one-touch up
Also, automatic volume leveling works really well on the new 2005 Ford Focus (thank goodness, that POS is hideously loud on the freeway). but it was overreactive on a Panasonic system in tried in a 96 Miata -- always too loud or too quiet.
Automatic volume leveling for my MP3s

My two 1988 Mazda 929s and my 1995 Mazda 626 all had motorized oscillating vents. I miss that feature. :(

-Jesda

fastball
07-18-04, 02:51 AM
I haven't had DRLs yet, but I'll be getting a CTS in due time..... and the first thing I'll do when I sign the papers is remove the fuse (or relay if I have to) for the DRL circuit.

And that goes for anyone here who hates daytime running lamps (they are the worse idea since electronic speed limiters :) )

Just locate either of your fuse boxes (the low current box inside your dash or the high current box with master relays is under the hood). Pull the fuse marked DRL or daytime lamps or similar. Pretty much any car with these lamps have a sepparate circuit for DRL and parking/headlamp system, so removing the fuse should not affect lamps when you actually need them .

DRL should stand for Driving Rather Lost! :D

Adam
07-18-04, 05:31 AM
that one touch power window i think is a good idea. the guy that wrote that was right about a few thinks but he is an idiot if he hasnt figured out that if you hit the button down and hit it to go back up it will stop at wherever you want; it doesnt hurt the motor or anything if thats what he is thinking.

Ralph
07-23-04, 09:59 PM
I think nightvision is not necessary. If you need an aid to drive at night, perhaps one shouldn't drive at night? Personally, I'd rather have more safety features for all the drunks out there like thicker steel beams in my doors if they run a red light. If nightvision was such a necessary item, wouldn't it be optional on all cars? Like AC, or stereos.

I know this is far off but I'd like to see a type of radar or something that would keep a tailgator off your ass by using some sort of technology that slows them down if they are dangerously too close to you. I know some cars have this in the cruise control, (like Jesda mentioned) but I'm thinking more along the lines of safety, rather than convienience. (even at city speeds)

I was against day time running lights when they came out in 1990. Now I'm for them because when you are passing a semi on the highway, it sure makes it easier to see an oncomming car if the lights are on.

unclefred
08-01-04, 12:20 PM
Seat warmers!!
I drove leather seats for quite a time, I don't want to overheat my ass - hell that aint even kosher! I want heat in my lungs so I don't catch a cold! Grrrr

And then, those clowns at cadillac wouldn't listen to me and lincoln or some other fools, I hear they've stolen my ass air conditioners (I think my **** ***** (&#^$ 668 )*%&%)& 666 )$(* 045760'd ex 5057ing ex wife stole it and then had it stolen from her)

Someone has power doors now... grrr.... That was also my idea. No use in them flying open, they should just move WITH you, like a self propelled kirby vacuum.

And then pull shut when they click - just as a caddy trunk does.

see!

Nightvision, I love the idea.. I could put my own switch in, to bypass the headlights / brake lights - and that way if I was looking for someone, or following someone, they'd not see me..

Caddy Man
08-01-04, 02:34 PM
Nightvision, I love the idea.. I could put my own switch in, to bypass the headlights / brake lights - and that way if I was looking for someone, or following someone, they'd not see me..
i had nightvision, and if your headlights are off, its not possible to drive with just the nightvision, unless you want to get in a wreck.

Msilva954
08-01-04, 04:16 PM
Pretty soon none of us will need arms or legs to drive........we will float down the road like magic carpets, except we can have stubs.

El Dobro
08-01-04, 05:38 PM
I'm not too nuts about the auto-dimming mirrors. You get blinded when there's some a**hole behind you with his highbeams on during the day because there's no way to make them stay dark.

The express window stops where you want it to when you hit down a second time. It's in the owner's manual.

Ralph
08-01-04, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't have thought about those idiots with their brights on in the daytime. Otherwise I love that feature.

I would rather have cooled seats like in the new Devilles, rather than heated. Even in -59 C weather we had, your butt warms up the seat soon enough under a minute, but it's a hellish minute. :p I like the idea of little fans blowing air on my back (like Mercedes S class) and I don't even think I would need AC if I had this feature.

Who has this feature, and how cool does it get? How powerful is the breeze?

Msilva954
08-01-04, 07:46 PM
Next thing will be an in seat beverage holder.......pour your beverage in the hole in the head rest then sip as you please from the handy rubber straw hanging from the roof.

barge master
08-01-04, 08:23 PM
The auto locking doors are the worst. If that sucker ends up on fire or whatever, I want out FAST!!! The last thing I want to struggle with is doors that are jammed shut and locked besides. If I want the damn doors locked I can do it myself.

Ralph
08-01-04, 11:27 PM
Next thing will be an in seat beverage holder.......pour your beverage in the hole in the head rest then sip as you please from the handy rubber straw hanging from the roof.
How long before they start putting toilets into seats. :D People want to watch movies while they drive, they may as well feel right at home. :shhh: Ah heck, throw a towel rack in there as well.

Regarding power windows and stuff, I love them, but I've always wondered what if you have a light to moderate head-on collision and the battery cracks and leaks acid out. Meanwhile, the car starts on fire so you have to kick out the windows (hard to do with a broken leg) and you are also locked in the car! Often on the highway, I unlock my doors in case someone has to get me out if I'm unconscience, etc. What do I need my doors locked for at high speed anyway??

Fantom Infinity
08-02-04, 01:15 AM
Personally, I like the DRL on the CTS, they give it that extra look I guess. I think they're cool, but, to each his own.

airbalancer
08-02-04, 09:06 AM
I haven't had DRLs yet, but I'll be getting a CTS in due time..... and the first thing I'll do when I sign the papers is remove the fuse (or relay if I have to) for the DRL circuit.

And that goes for anyone here who hates daytime running lamps (they are the worse idea since electronic speed limiters :) )

Just locate either of your fuse boxes (the low current box inside your dash or the high current box with master relays is under the hood). Pull the fuse marked DRL or daytime lamps or similar. Pretty much any car with these lamps have a sepparate circuit for DRL and parking/headlamp system, so removing the fuse should not affect lamps when you actually need them .

DRL should stand for Driving Rather Lost! :D

DRL are not for you!!
It is like Ralph said, I was against day time running lights when they came out in 1990. Now I'm for them because when you are passing a semi on the highway, it sure makes it easier to see an oncomming car if the lights are on.

airbalancer
08-02-04, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't have thought about those idiots with their brights on in the daytime. Otherwise I love that feature.

I would rather have cooled seats like in the new Devilles, rather than heated. Even in -59 C weather we had, your butt warms up the seat soon enough under a minute, but it's a hellish minute. :p I like the idea of little fans blowing air on my back (like Mercedes S class) and I don't even think I would need AC if I had this feature.

Who has this feature, and how cool does it get? How powerful is the breeze?

Because of frighing rain, we have not had summer yet. I like heated seated.
I would like them in my GMC SLE cloth seats

Msilva954
08-02-04, 09:33 AM
How long before they start putting toilets into seats. :D People want to watch movies while they drive, they may as well feel right at home. :shhh: Ah heck, throw a towel rack in there as well.

Regarding power windows and stuff, I love them, but I've always wondered what if you have a light to moderate head-on collision and the battery cracks and leaks acid out. Meanwhile, the car starts on fire so you have to kick out the windows (hard to do with a broken leg) and you are also locked in the car! Often on the highway, I unlock my doors in case someone has to get me out if I'm unconscience, etc. What do I need my doors locked for at high speed anyway??

I always thought about the toilet thing tooo, but I guess they cant think of a way to not leave a ring around the @$$.

Ralph
09-17-05, 10:53 PM
Has anyone else seen the automatic windows that the new G6 has when you lock the doors and close the drivers door? If you leave the window down a bit, it puts it up for you AFTER you close the door! Is this a good thing?? What if you want to park your car with the window down a bit, like if you have a dog waiting in the car for a few minutes, etc...

addison_ii
09-17-05, 11:00 PM
Your 60 is probably just like my '91 in that as soon as you shift from park to drive, the doors lock. I like this better than my cousins Chrysler Dynasty which locks the doors only after you have achieved a certain pre-determined speed (around 10 mph). What's the point of your doors locking when you are already going that fast? If the mugger can keep up on foot, maybe he has earned the right to the money in your purse or wallet :D My 95 Intrepid was like that. The doors locked after you were between 10-15 mph. My Dad's 00 Intrepid does the same thing.

Ralph
09-17-05, 11:04 PM
My 95 Intrepid was like that. The doors locked after you were between 10-15 mph. My Dad's 00 Intrepid does the same thing.

No opinion on the G6 window closers?

Ya, my cousin's '88 dynasty did that too. My '91 does it as soon as you put the car in "park" (unlocks) or "drive" (locks) and because of the sound of the locks moving they think I'm "being too rough with my car!" :bigroll:

addison_ii
09-17-05, 11:17 PM
Auto Windows Closers/Openers can be useful.My friend has a 97 Maxima that he installed an aftermarket alarm that has that feature. It came in handy on very hot days. He could adjust the opening amount of the window. The closing came in handy when you get out the car and someone forgets to roll up the window. But they can be troublesome when an accident occurs.

ben72227
09-18-05, 01:16 AM
I ALWAYS HAVE TO REMIND PPL NOT TO SLAM MY TRUNK...I DONT THINK THE FEATURE WAS MENT FOR THE LAZY...MORE SO TO KEEP THE QUIETNESS OF THE LAC

The feature was actually so that old men (the demographic for Cadillac owners) wouldn't have to break their backs trying to slam the trunk closed. I believe there is a spring under the trunk so it doesn't matter if you slam it or not, it will catch itself...I actually had to take it apart and fix it on my Cadillac because the plastic part that holds it together had fallen apart...

Mazda 626 all had motorized oscillating vents. I miss that feature.

I remember that on my Mom's old 626, and remember the Mazda's had the motorized seat belts?:lildevil: Both of those features seemed pretty pointless though, mainly for you to show off. I remember the vents on ours stopped moving for 5 years, and then when they reset the computer for something else, they just started back up again. Pretty weird.:rolleyes:

Night Wolf
09-18-05, 02:13 PM
GM's always-on parking lights. When I was in high school, the sure brand of a loser wanna-be was the guy driving around the lot in his clapped-out '77 Camaro with Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks out back and the parking lights turned on in the middle of the day. So cool, man. General Motors installs the same basic deal on several new cars, including the '04 Corvette, which has pop-up style headlights and so can't really deploy the also-annoying (and unnecessary) Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs) that keep the headlights burning whenever the car is running. But the Cadillac CTS, Camaro/Firebird, and some other GM models are equally afflicted - bestowing upon their owners all the cachet of a notice-me-please teenager cruising the shopping mall parking lots in his glass-packed 15-year-old Civic, hoping it'll impress the girls.

Well, this isn't "keeping the parking lights on"

it is DRL, but in a different way.

See, old school cars have dual element parking lights in the front, when the parking lights are on, the light is on dim, when the turn signal is used, the light gets brighter.

Notice on all GM cars with yellow DRL, that when the turn signal is used.... the light goes off? they are already at maxium intensity.

So it is just a different type of DRL, and not "driving with parking lights on"

My moms 1984 DeVille had the auto locking doors when in park/drive... that isn't new.

Dodge sets up their vehicles to lock after 10-15mph, just like VW and others, I guess if you have to move the car in a driveway or something, you don't have to deal with the doors locking and unlocking.

psykiv
09-22-05, 04:20 AM
I do agree with the seat belt minder.

The company that my dad works for uses all Ford Cars. Once in a while we use his company car to go out, and my dad drives. You see, my dad is a rather large person and most seat belts do not fit him comfortably. So he can not put on the seatbelt, so the freaking sensor is always going off and beeping because he doesn't have his seat belt on (IT DOESNT FIT!!! CANT YOU STUPID COMPUTER CALCULATE THAT??)

God damn, that is easily the most annoying thing ever in a car. If I hav to go out in his car again, im pulling the wiring diagrams for whatever car he may happen to have that day and connecting that siren to 220v, hopefully itll fry or melt.

5 also pisses me off.

the rest dont bother me

Sandy
09-22-05, 09:44 AM
Ralph, you credit Mercedes with the seat coolers with the little fans, BUT it was SAAB who had it first, SAAB who invented it and SAAB who sold the technology TO mer-SAY-dees!

Regarding heated beverages, along that same line, Saab has a cooled-to-40 degrees glove compartment. Granted, it's killed when you shut the engine. It's not for daily commutes, but for long drives, such as driving from Florida up to South Carolina. It can chill a hot can of soda in 40 minutes, and keep stored cans cold. It holds 4 cans.

As soon as BMW or Mercedes COPIES it, it will get notority and Mercedes will get credit for something else it didn't design.

mccombie_5
09-22-05, 01:17 PM
Ralph, you credit Mercedes with the seat coolers with the little fans, BUT it was SAAB who had it first, SAAB who invented it and SAAB who sold the technology TO mer-SAY-dees!

Regarding heated beverages, along that same line, Saab has a cooled-to-40 degrees glove compartment. Granted, it's killed when you shut the engine. It's not for daily commutes, but for long drives, such as driving from Florida up to South Carolina. It can chill a hot can of soda in 40 minutes, and keep stored cans cold. It holds 4 cans.

As soon as BMW or Mercedes COPIES it, it will get notority and Mercedes will get credit for something else it didn't design.

Yup my Vectra has the colled glovebox, and a cooled centre armrest.

And underneath the Saab 900/9-3 is a *dadaa* Opel Vectra.....

GM is utilising this on other models

Ralph
09-22-05, 07:03 PM

Interesting.

I think it's also smart that Volvo puts that little cooler in the back seat. Everycar should have that option.

mccombie_5
09-22-05, 07:13 PM
Interesting.

I think it's also smart that Volvo puts that little cooler in the back seat. Everycar should have that option.

Alto fo cars do now, you can get them on a ford mondeo

addison_ii
09-22-05, 11:56 PM
I don't know if a cooler in the back seat would be a good idea. I mean it would make the beer too accessible. Or the ice and popsicles when getting a little freaky:D I'm calling for a ban on backseat coolers. They will lead to a population boom. BAN BACKSEAT COOLERS NOW!! :D

Ralph
09-22-05, 11:58 PM
I don't know if a cooler in the back seat would be a good idea. I mean it would make the beer too accessible. Or the ice and popsicles when getting a little freaky:D I'm calling for a ban on backseat coolers. They will lead to a population boom. BAN BACKSEAT COOLERS NOW!! :D

Come to think of it, you're right! It could be a safety issue reaching all that way into the back seat from the drivers' seat! Move the cooler to the FRONT seat and everyone will be able to get their beer much more safely while keeping their eyes on the road. ;)

addison_ii
09-23-05, 12:16 AM
Come to think of it, you're right! It could be a safety issue reaching all that way into the back seat from the drivers' seat! Move the cooler to the FRONT seat and everyone will be able to get their beer much more safely while keeping their eyes on the road. ;):histeric: LMAO I move that a condom dispenser be installed in all backseats as well.

Ralph
09-23-05, 12:18 AM
:histeric: LMAO I move that a condom dispenser be installed in all backseats as well.

That's what the little storage bin is for on the back dash, just ask Stoney. ;)

addison_ii
09-23-05, 12:27 AM
That's what the little storage bin is for on the back dash, just ask Stoney. ;) True but you have to fumble around to open it. With the Addison_II Backseat Prophylactic holder it not only dispenses them, it also gives you a condom based on usage data. (Hey pal that Magnum XL will slip off) or(she likes the chocolate one and etc.), and it even opens it while dispensing. So no more embarassing mishaps or expired condoms. If you are misfortunate enough to have your stash expire the AIIBP will recycle them for you and turn them into balloon animals. Talk about versatility. Not getting any @$$ turn those condoms into cash.:histeric:Used and endorsed by party clowns everywhere!!

Ralph
09-23-05, 12:30 AM
True but you have to fumble around to open it. With the Addison_II Backseat Prophylactic holder it not only dispenses them, it also gives you a condom based on usage data. (Hey pal that Magnum XL will slip off) or(she likes the chocolate one and etc.), and it even opens it while dispensing. So no more embarassing mishaps or expired condoms. If you are misfortunate enough to have your stash expire the AIIBP will recycle them for you and turn them into balloon animals. Talk about versatility. Not getting any @$$ turn those condoms into cash.:histeric:Used and endorsed by party clowns everywhere!!

YOU'RE GOING TO BE RICH!!! Why you could probably sell that idea (after patent) to Lincoln owners!!!!! :lildevil: :shhh:

addison_ii
09-23-05, 12:41 AM
YOU'RE GOING TO BE RICH!!! Why you could probably sell that idea (after patent) to Lincoln owners!!!!! :lildevil: :shhh:speaking of Lincolns, my tissot is giving me trouble already. I'm not going to be a Lincoln owner for long. BTW buddy, a friend of mine who resides in Saskatoon and shall remain nameless has 89-91 Mercury(Lincoln)Grand Marquis(Town Car's little brother) who could that be?? :shhh: :lildevil:

Ralph
09-23-05, 12:44 AM
speaking of Lincolns, my tissot is giving me trouble already. I'm not going to be a Lincoln owner for long. BTW buddy, a friend of mine who resides in Saskatoon and shall remain nameless has 89-91 Mercury(Lincoln)Grand Marquis(Town Car's little brother) who could that be?? :shhh: :lildevil:

You don't have a Tissot!! :tisk: ;) Lincoln owners wear Timex. :cool:

p.s. it's a 1991 Grand M.

Jesda
09-23-05, 09:05 AM
Off to The Lounge.

Spyder
09-23-05, 01:36 PM
ok...only read the first page of this...one thing I HATE about many new cars is the unability to turn OFF all the lights at night. A friend of mine has an '01 Grand Am and I never did figure out a way to turn off the headlights and the running lights both, if it was dark outside. I don't think there's a way to do it if you're driving...

powerglide
09-23-05, 01:47 PM
Airconditioned seats. Best thing since sliced bread!

Beverage coolers: I have owned a couple cars that had them but I never used it. (one actually made ice!) The car has to be running....only useful for long trips where you don't stop.

Rain Sense: really cool to use. Blasting through the rain, wipers at max speed and as you roll to a stop at the light, the wipers slow down to match. Its useful for stop and go, where you have to slow it don when you stop and back up when you start moving.

autoleveling headlights: had them, dunno if they were ever 'useful'

pivoting (road following) headlights: never tried, may be better than I am imagining

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 04:20 PM
I manage to looks suspicious in my cars without needing to turn off the lights....

A black, left hand drive, Cadillac Deville on UK roads is suspicious enough with lights on, although my kids' friends think i am in the mafia.....

All those black cars LOL

Ralph
09-23-05, 04:33 PM
ok...only read the first page of this...one thing I HATE about many new cars is the unability to turn OFF all the lights at night. A friend of mine has an '01 Grand Am and I never did figure out a way to turn off the headlights and the running lights both, if it was dark outside. I don't think there's a way to do it if you're driving...

I don't like it when the inside lights stay on after getting into the car at night because everyone can see you and what you are doing as they walk by.

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 05:32 PM
I don't like it when the inside lights stay on after getting into the car at night because everyone can see you and what you are doing as they walk by.

Something that freaked me out when i first got my vectra is that the courtesy lights all come one as soon as you unlock tghe doors, which is fine, until you do it at night in a car park, and then anyone waiting can see which car has just been unlocked.... and how far away you are from it....

Im used to it now because most cars have this feature, but i didnt like it at the time.

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:36 PM
Something that freaked me out when i first got my vectra is that the courtesy lights all come one as soon as you unlock tghe doors, which is fine, until you do it at night in a car park, and then anyone waiting can see which car has just been unlocked.... and how far away you are from it....

Im used to it now because most cars have this feature, but i didnt like it at the time.

I guess it's a safety feature to see if someone is hiding in your backseat also...... :suspense:

powerglide
09-23-05, 05:36 PM

...so what are you up to, at night, alone in car, that you are hiding from the public :-)

ShadowLvr400
09-23-05, 05:40 PM
I agree with all on the lust, except the auto door locks. I like that feature. One that I couldn't believe they left off, was BMW's I-Drive. Such a difficult peice of garbage that thing is.
Tied in with the traction control too though, speed limiters. Might as well say "We built your car so that it can do 150+ mph, but, since we in the govt and auto industry think (in many cases correctly, but still) that drivers are morons and incompetant, you're only allowed to go 105 mph. Or 110, or 112, etc. Either, let the cars actually perform like they're built to do, or make the top speed of every car built 70 mph. Oh wait, we can't quite go that far, the Europeans would laugh at our slow a**es.

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:42 PM
...so what are you up to, at night, alone in car, that you are hiding from the public :-)

fumbling for my..........................keys. ;)

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 05:44 PM
I guess it's a safety feature to see if someone is hiding in your backseat also...... :suspense:

LOL

I remember once getting into my car (it was maybe 1982, because i had a Jaguar XJ at the time) and my wifes (fake) fur coat was in the rear footwell, i totally forgot and thought there was some sort of animal in my back seat....

That was odd....

She thought it was hilarious.

powerglide
09-23-05, 05:44 PM
fumbling for my..........................keys. ;)

I see.....keys....thats what they call it in Canada

:hide:

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:45 PM
the Europeans would laugh at our slow a**es.

They already do that with cars out there like Bugatti... :shhh:

I agree about I-Drive, although they supposedly simplified it last year or the year before. I read that it required an hour and a half on the driveway familiarizing yourself with it before one could fully understand it.

davesdeville
09-23-05, 05:48 PM
See the prophylactic holder idea above.

I really like:
-Heated (and cooled, although my car lacks the latter) seats. With a remote start they are awesome.
-Automatic climate control. Set it for 70* and it does the rest...
-Remote start, for those heated and cooled seats and automatic climate control.
-Trunk pulldown, it's just plain cool. Plus I don't have to slam the trunk anytime I get anything out at night so I don't wake people up.
-Automatic lights (twilight sentinal,) my street is well lit so I would forget the headlights a lot if it weren't for this feature.

Things I hate (or that should at least come with an easy way to disable)
-Traction control. I can turn it off through the DIC fairly easily, but it really should be completely switch controlled like on my friend's Mark VIII. It really takes the fun out of a burnout, what's the point of having 320hp if you can't smoke the tires.
-DRL should be optional. I don't have it but I've driven cars with it. Would be nice if you weren't forced to have the lights on all the damn time.

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 05:49 PM
Either, let the cars actually perform like they're built to do, or make the top speed of every car built 70 mph. Oh wait, we can't quite go that far, the Europeans would laugh at our slow a**es.

Just the Germans :p

and me

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:49 PM
LOL

I remember once getting into my car (it was maybe 1982, because i had a Jaguar XJ at the time) and my wifes (fake) fur coat was in the rear footwell, i totally forgot and thought there was some sort of animal in my back seat....

That was odd....

She thought it was hilarious.

LOL! I think SOME PEOPLE NEED the interior lights to stay on then. ;)

:cat: :kitty:

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:51 PM
I see.....keys....thats what they call it in Canada

:hide:

LOL! I'm going in 20 minutes with a friend to testdrive a new Charger, I'll writeup on it later......

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:54 PM
-Automatic climate control. Set it for 70* and it does the rest...
-Remote start, for those heated and cooled seats and automatic climate control.
-Trunk pulldown, it's just plain cool. Plus I don't have to slam the trunk anytime I get anything out at night so I don't wake people up.
-Automatic lights (twilight sentinal,) my street is well lit so I would forget the headlights a lot if it weren't for this feature.

The only thing I don't like about my auto climate control is that the fan blows at the same speed the whole time it's set a 70. THEN, it starts to blow cooler air and you get cold because it seems to change the temp instead of just reducing the fan speed.(which I would prefer.)

I love my auto headlights.

When people slam my trunk I get upset, but then I guess it's designed to take some abuse....hopefully.

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 05:55 PM
LOL! I think SOME PEOPLE NEED the interior lights to stay on then. ;)

:cat: :kitty:

Hey!

I forgot there was a coat there, thats all..

I dont like the lights on when i get in the car. I do however have the reading lights on when i drive, i dont know why, i just like a bit of light beind me

Ralph
09-23-05, 05:57 PM
I do however have the reading lights on when i drive, i dont know why, i just like a bit of light beind me

I think it's illegal here to drive with the reading lights on, or that might just apply to the driver....I'm not sure.

mccombie_5
09-23-05, 06:00 PM
I think it's illegal here to drive with the reading lights on, or that might just apply to the driver....I'm not sure.

In this country you arent allowed to drive with lights on in the front of the car, but the rear is fine, if you couldnt they wouldnt work on the move

Ralph
09-23-05, 09:47 PM
My buddy and
I just got back from testing a new Charger and a minty (60K) 1997 MK8 in
black with chromed rims. The new 3.5 Charger wasn't that powerful around town and there was a delay when you punched it. Choppy ride but I was very comfortable in it, and the steering was good, quick ratio. The Lincoln ($13,900) wasn't that much smoother than the Charger but it had every option. He'll think about
the Lincoln, and the best deal they wouyld give him was if he traded his
2003 Monte (52K) he would have to pay $1300. He told them, NO, I want an
equal trade because the Monte is newer. The Lincoln had a bad rattle in the pass. rear somewhere, like the window..

The option I liked in the MK8 was move the front seatback foreward and the whole seat moved foreward for easy entry to the rear. Lots of power when you step on it, comparable to a N*.

Stoneage_Caddy
09-23-05, 09:49 PM
ralph , one feature i bet you hate is consoles ....i bet your a bench seat man ....

i havent driven a new charger yet , hell i hadnt driven any of the new LX cars

Ralph
09-23-05, 09:52 PM
ralph , one feature i bet you hate is consoles ....i bet your a bench seat man ....

i havent driven a new charger yet , hell i hadnt driven any of the new LX cars

I like consoles. I think Dad's DTS is cool for the shifter, very sporty. On the Charger, if was a bit tricky because you could go full auto or manula by tapping left or right, but once in manual mode, to get out of it you had to quickly put it in neutral then back into "D" to override it. It displayed the gear you were in on the dash.

I had enough bench seat cars.

mccombie_5
09-25-05, 05:29 PM
Heres one. Windows that shut themselves when you lock the car.

Ive never really had a problem with this, until my brother (in law) and i were taking his dog to the beach this morning, and we stopped at the pub on the way back (dont worry at was 1pm) and we got out, as he locked his car the windows closed themselves, which meant we had to leave his car unlocked outside.......

I had the same car a few years ago and it never bothered me when i had one, but i can see it getting annoying....

Ralph
09-25-05, 08:40 PM
Heres one. Windows that shut themselves when you lock the car.

Ive never really had a problem with this, until my brother (in law) and i were taking his dog to the beach this morning, and we stopped at the pub on the way back (dont worry at was 1pm) and we got out, as he locked his car the windows closed themselves, which meant we had to leave his car unlocked outside.......

I had the same car a few years ago and it never bothered me when i had one, but i can see it getting annoying....

Yup, see post number 51. I don't think I like that idea, but it's good for forgetful people I suppose.

mccombie_5
09-26-05, 12:52 PM
So it is, i guess i didnt read that far back. Its a great idea and was ahead of its time when the car was built, but its just tedious because we had to elave quite an expensive car open..

Ralph
09-26-05, 08:59 PM
So it is, i guess i didnt read that far back. Its a great idea and was ahead of its time when the car was built, but its just tedious because we had to elave quite an expensive car open..

I keep thinking about pets on a hot day inside a car with the wondows closed.....

mccombie_5
09-26-05, 09:03 PM
I keep thinking about pets on a hot day inside a car with the wondows closed.....

Well that was the scenario, we had to leave the doors unlocked, which for the car art is current age (its 9 years old) is not so bad, but what about when these 70k autobahn cruisers were new? What happens if you wanted a Mercedes 600SEL and a dog? Apparently the Germans say "das ist night possible" "das hund its leder kaputten!"

Ralph
09-26-05, 09:05 PM
Well that was the scenario, we had to leave the doors unlocked, which for the car art is current age (its 9 years old) is not so bad, but what about when these 70k autobahn cruisers were new? What happens if you wanted a Mercedes 600SEL and a dog? Apparently the Germans say "das ist night possible" "das hund its leder kaputten!"

They give fines and tickets to vehicles here on a hot day if there is a vehicle parked with a pet in it and windows up! Often, the police will break a window and ticket the person..

mccombie_5
09-26-05, 09:09 PM
They give fines and tickets to vehicles here on a hot day if there is a vehicle parked with a pet in it and windows up! Often, the police will break a window and ticket the person..

Yeah it has been known, i dont know if fines are given, but i think they break windows. I NEVER leave my animals in the car for more than 10 minutes to half an hour, if youre going to take your dog with you WALK IT!

They go in the Range Rover, and i can leave the windows open in that, and infact the doors wide open if i wanted, and noone would steal it if my dogs were in, when i had an SEL, i had a Range Rover then too, and thats why i never noticed about the windows, i never actually took my dogs in the sedan.

It was only when my brother did yesterday that i realised what a design flaw it is.

Ralph
09-26-05, 09:11 PM
Yeah it has been known, i dont know if fines are given, but i think they break windows. I NEVER leave my animals in the car for more than 10 minutes to half an hour, if youre going to take your dog with you WALK IT!

They go in the Range Rover, and i can leave the windows open in that, and infact the doors wide open if i wanted, and noone would steal it if my dogs were in, when i had an SEL, i had a Range Rover then too, and thats why i never noticed about the windows, i never actually took my dogs in the sedan.

It was only when my brother did yesterday that i realised what a design flaw it is.

A dog would be the BEST security alarm/theft prevention you can use!

mccombie_5
09-26-05, 09:14 PM
A dog would be the BEST security alarm/theft prevention you can use!

Agreed.

Stoneage_Caddy
09-26-05, 09:37 PM
i think rattlesnakes work beatter

powerglide
09-27-05, 12:46 PM
Back in NYC, there was this dude making deliveries in one of those doorless UPS-like truck/vans....you know what I mean? He'd have to drive, double park, run in to make delivery, all while the truck with no doors sat out there with delivery goods in the back.

His weapon of choice was a big black mutt (looks like a pitbull mutt) that sat on the center console like one of those hawaii hula dolls. He'd stare down passengers and start growling like a mad dog if you approached the van. I was pretty impressed. Its like having a security guard that you didn't have to pay!

mccombie_5
09-27-05, 12:48 PM
LOL thye have those UPS vans here too, they always close the door on them though :confused:

I also dont like Navigation on cars, i have it in most of my cars for my wife, but i do not use it wherever possible..

powerglide
09-27-05, 12:54 PM
really?
I am pretty hooked on navigation.....I don;t think I could have gotten around so efficiently when I first moved here without it. (I still rely on it alot)
Plus the 'cool' factor is pretty high with the LCD display and all!

mccombie_5
09-27-05, 01:01 PM
really?
I am pretty hooked on navigation.....I don;t think I could have gotten around so efficiently when I first moved here without it. (I still rely on it alot)
Plus the 'cool' factor is pretty high with the LCD display and all!

Its a good idea, just its too complecated, and the amount of people that drift out of their lanes because theyre fiddling with nav units is silly, if you could only operate it when stationary it would work.

Iv very rarely use my Navigation. I prefer a good old map

powerglide
09-27-05, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I also like using mapquest. Often I use both!
I dunno about the UK, but factory installed Navs usually don't let you fiddle with it while the car is moving. (as far setting destinations etc must be done while stopped or barely moving).....my voice recognition works amazingly well too. (I can mumble "Go Home" and 2 seconds later its got the route computed!)

mccombie_5
09-27-05, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I also like using mapquest. Often I use both!
I dunno about the UK, but factory installed Navs usually don't let you fiddle with it while the car is moving. (as far setting destinations etc must be done while stopped or barely moving).....my voice recognition works amazingly well too. (I can mumble "Go Home" and 2 seconds later its got the route computed!)

some of them let you, some of them dont.

Just a question, why do you need to get a Nav unit to take you home, dont you know the way :p

powerglide
09-27-05, 02:04 PM
Lol!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-28-05, 03:09 PM
I don't like the belt reminder.

Reverse sensors are good if it stops incapable drivers from hitting my car.
In fact I'm gonna get them fitted to the STS as it's a big car to park in narrow London streets.

Elvis
10-28-05, 03:16 PM
Forgive me for being old, senile, and having weak eyes.

I don't feel like reading this entire thread again, I honestly don't know or remember if this has been posted before:

I hate tire pressure sensors.

I like to keep my tires a few pounds low. It softens the ride a little, and gives you better traction if you need it in the winter.

But now that the nights are cold, my warning light comes on every morning, and doesn't go off until I've been on the road for about 10 minutes.

Ralph
10-29-05, 07:28 PM
Forgive me for being old, senile, and having weak eyes.
I don't feel like reading this entire thread again, I honestly don't know or remember if this has been posted before:
I hate tire pressure sensors.
I like to keep my tires a few pounds low. It softens the ride a little, and gives you better traction if you need it in the winter.
But now that the nights are cold, my warning light comes on every morning, and doesn't go off until I've been on the road for about 10 minutes.

Do you think it's wise to keep tires deliberately low on a huge, heavy vehicle like that? I thought that when tires are lower, they build up more heat and that's what ultimately led to all those Explorers having blowouts and Firestone taking the brunt of it.

It would probably handle better at the recommended pressure, and save fuel..

mccombie_5
10-29-05, 07:42 PM
Heres one I have issues with too. Auto headlamps, which are in many ways good, can also suck.

For example my (now half wrecked:() BMW 5 series, they cannot be turned off manually, so therefore it is impossible to act suspiciously.

Ralph
10-29-05, 07:46 PM
another issue I have with auto headlights is when I enter my parkade, they always come on. I don't need my taillights, etc. on just to park my car. Then when I arrive at the grocery store, they come on again. (probably will wear it out) I wish you could override it. Then sometimes when I go somewhere, they take forever to click off because it's cloudy outside and the sensor doesn't pick up as much light.

I can't believe all my bulbs are still original!

mccombie_5
10-29-05, 07:55 PM
Original bulbs!?

My lord, its a 1991 yes!?

You have 14 year old light bulbs Ralph!!

Ive had to replace the bulbs in my Vectra three times, twice the drives side headlight, once the rear passenger side

Ralph
10-29-05, 08:01 PM
Original bulbs!?
My lord, its a 1991 yes!?
You have 14 year old light bulbs Ralph!!
Ive had to replace the bulbs in my Vectra three times, twice the drives side headlight, once the rear passenger side

Yup, Dad never had to replace a bulb either. 57,000 kilometers now. On the 1980 Pontiac Phoenix that was mine, then later my ex-fiances, the bulb contacts were so old that you would change a bulb and the metal contact would break right off!! That's one thing I'm worried about with any old car is that the little metal tab being compressed against the bulb all those years is more prone to breakage.

I doubt Sandy ever had to change a bulb on the 60..

mccombie_5
10-29-05, 08:07 PM
Yup, Dad never had to replace a bulb either. 57,000 kilometers now. On the 1980 Pontiac Phoenix that was mine, then later my ex-fiances, the bulb contacts were so old that you would change a bulb and the metal contact would break right off!! That's one thing I'm worried about with any old car is that the little metal tab being compressed against the bulb all those years is more prone to breakage.
I doubt Sandy ever had to change a bulb on the 60..

Yeah, 1977 Jaguar XJ6C was 15 years old at the time, i got it, it was mint, and on original bulbs.

One went because i used it daily i loved it so much. I went to change it and the contact snapped off, luckily they were still making the sedna model so i went to a dealer and got a one brand new.

I think my Vectra has a fault with that drivers side headlamp, i obnly bought it in 2004.

Elvis
10-30-05, 12:36 AM
I can't believe all my bulbs are still original!

they'll all go at once! :histeric:

As far as my tire pressure goes, I'm talking about keeping them around 34 psi, rather than the recommended 36. That's not going to kill anyone.

Wednesday I pumped them up to 38 when they were warm. The light doesn't come on anymore and the ride is okay. But at 32 the ride is downright "spongy" (if that's a word) and very comfortable.

I'm trying to figure out how to disable the tire pressure monitor. Then I'm going to work on this pesky seat belt alarm. My first Ford didn't even HAVE seat belts. Don't tell me that with air bags and crumple zones I'm not safer in an Expedition!

Ralph
10-30-05, 05:10 AM
Oh ok, I thought you were putting them down to 30 psi or so!!:shhh:

davesdeville
10-30-05, 07:05 AM
Heh near as I could tell my 78 had the original headlights.

You know, I don't think anyone would mind these new "features" if you could disable them easily...

Ralph
10-30-05, 10:43 PM
Heh near as I could tell my 78 had the original headlights.

You know, I don't think anyone would mind these new "features" if you could disable them easily...

I guess the idea is to make everything as automatic and convienient as possible, especially when you drive an expensive luxury car. I certainly don't blame them for putting in certain options because it may be the only thing differentiating a Cadillac from a Buick, but many have complained about the auto dimming rear-view mirror (for example) on this thread. There was one situation where it wouldn't dim for some reason and almost causes an accident earlier in this thread, if I recall.

ShadowLvr400
10-31-05, 04:25 PM
I still couldn't believe iDrive wasn't on there. Anything I've ever read so far complains about that little demonspawn.

mccombie_5
10-31-05, 04:29 PM
I still couldn't believe iDrive wasn't on there. Anything I've ever read so far complains about that little demonspawn.

I agree

It sucks sucks sucks sucks

My 97 540i didnt have it, when i bought a 04 545i Touring with the insurance (some bastard stole my 97) it did, and it sucks, having recently had this accident with it the iDrive is playing up, it knows the car has a booboo and wants a band aid too.

BTW to everyone who read my "hit and run" thread, i gave BMW the green light to do the work.

JimHare
10-31-05, 07:55 PM
I'm fairly ambivalent about the DRL issue, but one thing I guess they do for you is keep you from absent-mindedly getting a ticket in those states (getting numerous now) that require LIGHTS ON when WIPERS ON - during the day, a light rain or mist requires the wipers, and the DRLs help there, don't you think?
There have been studies that show most people, in any given road condition, see cars with headlights on sooner than they do unlighted cars. So there is a visibility benefit, I suppose.
I like my ETC's auto trunk closer - but yes, you do have to remind everyone not to slam it...the '99 Deville had it, but the '02 does not (or perhaps it's broken...).
Everyone who hates the little dings when you don't fasten the seat belt should cast their memory back to the mid-70s or so, when the seat belt interlock (RIP, thank goodness) wouldn't let you START the car without clicking up..
I personally think all cars should have
a) No seat belts or air bags
2) Rigid steering columns tapering to a sharpened spike.
3) Dashboard edges made of razor sharp steel
The NHTSA has deliberately subverted natural selection by allowing (if not encouraging) drivers who should not be passing their genetic material on to newer generations to survive otherwise fatal automotive encounters...
:bonkers:
JUST KIDDING!
Kinda....

Ralph
10-31-05, 08:08 PM
I personally think all cars should have
a) No seat belts or air bags
2) Rigid steering columns tapering to a sharpened spike.
3) Dashboard edges made of razor sharp steel

MMmmmm, the 1950's, wasn't that just the perfect era....

They did a show on tv once where they went into a junk yard and spotted a 1955 Buick and pointed out all the little sharp edges, dangers like slicing your knee open on the dash key, the rear-view mirror, and mentioning how many children were decapitated by the steel glovebox door hinge failing or being left open during an impact, etc. Simply unbelievable!

I love daytime running lights, they definately help on the HW, but I would still like to be able to override the automatic lights where EVERY exterior light comes on........that's just me.:)

dbdartman
10-31-05, 08:38 PM
Hate the auto headlights in my truck. I'm prefectly capable of determining when headlights & tail lights are needed on my own. Living where I do, I drive through some rural areas where the trees completely shade the raod for quite a way. This triggers the headlights unless the sun is nearly directly overhead. DRL's don't bother me on that, but I sure wish my 90 SDV had them! It's the same color as asphault. :nono: If you don't drive with the headlights on ALL THE TIME you WILL get cut-off! People just don't see that car! :eek: