: Aftermarket GPS Mount Recommendations

prospyder
05-01-09, 04:47 PM
My newly acquired 2007 STS does not have GM Navigation and I have a Garmin nuvi 760 that works well in the car, BUT the windshield suction mount and necessary wire coming from it to the 12v receptacle spoil the clean lines of the interior. Also, reaching for the nuvi on the windshield mount is a bit of a stretch.
I've though about making a mount that would utilize the "sunglass cubby" or whatever that small compartment is called in the middle of the dash below the radio. I have been thinking about shaping a piece of hardwood that would fit snugly in the compartment, painting it flat black and mounting a Garmin nuvi ball mount with the two-sided adhesive disc that is supplied with the mount. I could then run the power/antenna wire discreetly along the dash and console to the rear 12v outlet.
Another option is a cup-holder mount that is available online that provides a compatible mount for the nuvi and I could run the wire from there to the rear console 12v outlet.
Any other ideas or observations????
Jim, 2007 STS V6

hazcaddy
05-01-09, 05:25 PM
I would ahve thought the prime position for the Nuvi would be to have it close to your line of sight, but not obstructing your view of the road.

Both the locations you mention would require you to move your head down to see the screen, not a very safe thing to do IMHO. I find even the Nav screen in my STS is about as far away as I want to take my vision from what's happening in front of the car.

mbnv992
05-01-09, 06:18 PM
I have my Tom-Tom suction-cup/gorilla glued (not as bad/dirty looking as it sounds, actually looks really clean) on the center of my dash. I HATE the looks of a GPS mounted on the windshield, so I figured I'd just mount it right on the center of my dash.

turnerbend
05-01-09, 08:20 PM
The Nuvi 760 suction will mount on the stainless surface under the passage side vent. I found this to be a perfect location. This may not be the look you are looking for but, I remove mind when I leave the car to prevent temptation.

EChas3
05-01-09, 08:38 PM
I would think the higher the better. How about above the radio?

Do you want switched power? If so, you won't want a cigarette lighter.

prospyder
05-01-09, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good points.
I've thought about the line-of-sight issue and have found that I usually rely on the voice commands from the Garmin nuvi rather than looking at the display. The nuvi model I have also integrates my cell phone through blue tooth and the sound is available through an unused FM frequency to the STS sound system, but I have to use the touch screen to dial a new or stored number.
The windshield mount DOES nearly give the line-of-sight one gets with the HUD, but it's difficult to reach the touch screen when in the lower center of the windshield (where it doesn't block the view to the front.) And then there's that cord . . . so the dilemma is whether to have it close for touch screen accessibility or in the line of sight for best visibility.
Has anyone used the cupholder mount for an aftermarket gps?

ddgm
06-03-09, 08:29 AM
My newly acquired 2007 STS does not have GM Navigation and I have a Garmin nuvi 760 that works well in the car, BUT the windshield suction mount and necessary wire coming from it to the 12v receptacle spoil the clean lines of the interior. Also, reaching for the nuvi on the windshield mount is a bit of a stretch.
I've though about making a mount that would utilize the "sunglass cubby" or whatever that small compartment is called in the middle of the dash below the radio. I have been thinking about shaping a piece of hardwood that would fit snugly in the compartment, painting it flat black and mounting a Garmin nuvi ball mount with the two-sided adhesive disc that is supplied with the mount. I could then run the power/antenna wire discreetly along the dash and console to the rear 12v outlet.
Another option is a cup-holder mount that is available online that provides a compatible mount for the nuvi and I could run the wire from there to the rear console 12v outlet.
Any other ideas or observations????
Jim, 2007 STS V6

I find that the Beanbag mount works very well for my Garmin Nuvi 670, even though I have an STS with NAV, I'm used to using the Nuvi.
Doug

prospyder
06-03-09, 12:25 PM
Update by OP: I recently bought the cupholder mount noted above Amazon.com: GN-033: Cup Holder Car Mount for Garmin Nuvi and Garmin StreetPilot: Everything Else
through Amazon.com and it works well. It's close at-hand and easy to use the touch screen. (I've also found that I CAN voice dial through Bluetooth using my cell phone by making a few adjustments, so I seldom need to use the touch screen anymore.)
The only issue remaining is that the power cord for the nuvi 760 also serves as the FM antenna for using the STS's audio system. If I try to hide the cord, I have problems with interference on the FM frequency. I am guessing that the OnStar antenna -- the little black stubby one just above the rear window -- is also the FM antenna for the car's audio system. If I string the power cord/antenna up by the headrest of my car, I don't encounter as much interference and static on the FM receiver.

EChas3
06-03-09, 10:33 PM
The AM/FM antenna is in both the front and back windows. GPS is in the dash. I'm not certain about XM & Onstar but your Nuvi should not affect the others. Could you have metallic-based tint on your windows?

However, you cannot split antenna's. When you do, you lose 3dB signal. Looked at another way, if antenna's could be shared, cop cars wouldn't look like porcupines.