Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  CadiBlk 
#1 ·
What kind of tires are you guys using or the street? I wanna ditch the run flats and see how my wheel hop is once I get quality performance tires.
Also, what is the biggest width tire I can put on the stock rim?
I have read people putting 275s on it? Idk :confused:

I read the FAQ and it just has the largest tires you can put on the car, not the stock rim.
Thank you.

#2 ·
:thepan: :bang2: :horse:

:rules: Use the search.. there is about 1000 threads on tire sizes

#6 ·
i love speaking random letters and numbers... 265/40/18 BFG KD all around or maybe those plaid Invos- thats my next setup- right now im rocking 245/45/18 KDWII and they are decent for the price i got um for, its all personal preference, everyone's is different

#7 ·
:yeah: BFG KD 265/40/18 run all 4s without any rubbing - The summer grip is great and I can't wait to get them rolling on the track. Been running Nitto 245/45/18 for the last two years. They were OK, but even on the street I have noticed a big differnce with the KD.

You will get lot's of advice on tires, but I found out it is what you want to do with your car. There is no one good answer. So keep in mind, $, life, fit, stock or widened, staggered, all 4 same, performance, look, tracking or not, street, weather, etc.... just to name a few things you have to consider when getting tires.

GOOD LUCK - It takes a while to decide :hmm:

Mick

#9 ·
R888s are very sticky tires - good for tracking.

Invo have a great pattern and they are good tires also - but a bit pricey

Nexen are fairly new to our group in Vs - I only heard one person having them, but for the price you can't beat them.

goodyear - no comment.

Also look at the Michelin PS 2 (Not the sport). These tires are great for all around year, track and all and look for 265/40/18 size.

#10 ·
Tell us what you are looking to spend, what you want to achieve, we might be able to provide more details.

For example:

I have a stock 05V, stock rims, not lowered, I want to spend no more then $200 per tire. My goals are maximum width (for looks, for performance, etc), I don't care about tread patterns, an dI don't care about tire life, etc etc etc

That way some of us who have already gone through this, will say "Ya, that's what I wanted, and here is what I chose)"

The wheel hop is not going to change much with tire choice.

#11 ·
I don't even know what to look for in a tire, lol.
Looks would be nice, but I am more focused on performance. Tire life is somewhat important cause I don't wanna buy new tires every month. I am thinking 265 in the rear and 245 front.
I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MOExtender tires. I have been told these are runflats, correct?
I also read on the forums that runflats increase your wheelhop. This is why I want to try and check out different tires.

I watch videos like this and want my car to do that, lol.

#12 ·
I went with the Goodyear GSD-3's and so far have been very happy. I think the tread pattern is cool. Here is a 275-40-18 that I mounted for the rear. The snow tire is 245 width

#13 ·
#15 ·
In my opinion the CTS-V stock tire size is about as big as one should go. Increasing size often increases weight, which decreases performance. Increases in traction with larger tires are offset by performance decrease due to the larger rotating mass of the tire/wheels.
Most folks never come close to the limits of their tires in normal street driving. If you track your car, then you might reach your tire limits. Even then, I know one SCCA track instructor who uses his CTS-V with Dunlop Winter Sport tires as a track demonstrator, finding that these tires work adequately for limited track use of a lap or two.
You can do a lot of objective tire research at TireRack.
I do normal street driving and its is rare that I ever exceed 7/10s of my personal ability on the street. I put on 20K miles/yr. so tire wear is an issue. It is hard to go wrong with Michelin sport tires, but they are expensive.
I have successfully done Nexen 3000, getting 20K+ miles per tire with no performance issues. They are good in rain and lousy in snow. Presently, I am using Nexen 7000, which are more of a touring tire. I only have 1000 miles on them, but so far they seem a bit quieter than the Nexen 3000 with no material performance issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.