Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  Nutz 
#1 ·
Title is a bit of a teaser, but the housemate is a machinist. He wants to buy himself a press mold and a 5 axis. He says he could make the rears out of steel very cheaply. I asked him if under 1500 was a possibility, he said "definitely."

It wont happen for a while, but you boys will be the first to know when all steel housing will be available cheaply. If this became available, how many people here would be interested? My housemate wanted an idea of how many he would be building.

#3 ·
count me in.. very interested.. if he can do it than i might just buy two..

#4 ·
also it might be helpful to look at "nutz" tread there is a lot of interest there.

#6 ·
of course if it is a plug and play

#10 ·
My block of steel alone was $1,200.00 (jobber price). Feel free to have your housemate call me. I can tell him how much fun it has been to try to start a steel idea in the midst of an unstable all time high in steel prices and all time low in unemployment rate (potential buyers), not to mention the cost of man hrs. on a machine. The electricity used alone was calculated at around $400.00. I can vouch for how many times a $1,000.00 check and 10 hr days at a machine was donated to research and completion.

BUT, the press mold idea always had merit to keeping them as cheap as possible. My housing would be leaps and bounds forward in providing the ultimate reverse cast donor. I'm all ears here.

#13 ·
Since you're not nutz on the price I'm in!

Wait, why would I want a steel diff? There's nothing wrong with mine.

#17 ·
After looking into it, hes thinking about making a kit that mounts a 1986 C4's Dana 44 rear into the V. The Dana 44s dont start eating U joints till about 900 horsepower and mid 8 second runs, so I figure thats strong enough for a stock piece. The 1986 and up rears are about a grand. Might be a little easier machine work when all you have to do is make a few brackets.

Just a side note, the Dana 36s only hold about 450 rear wheel before they start dumping parts and theyre only a couple hundred cheaper.

Like I said, Ill keep you all informed.

#19 ·
Your probably talking about rlj5's. He tried an 8.8 cobra rear end and it didnt hold the power. He has a F1-A procharger on a 402 making about 813rwhp. He has since swapped to a madman rear end conversion.

#22 ·
I like the 12 bolt IRS idea with a modified factory carrier, but that is big bucks compared to $1500.00 for an OEM.

For the racer types I can see that or the Madman method.

I drive my V maybe 3 times a week now for less then 10 miles a trip.

Unless I get into some serious burnouts or diff destroying driving habits I still need to upgrade to an 06 diff and shrapnel it before I think about buying an alternative.

Not to say I haven't researched it.

#25 ·
Good luck Voodoo... Thanks for keeping us informed. I look forward to your findings.....

#31 ·
Am interested here. (<-- Interpretation: I don't have the money now, but I could sure as heck find it if these become available. :D)
Interpretation: He has the money,,,,jus don't tell the wife. :duh:
Poor Randy, has to keep three sets of books.

#29 ·
I Am interested here... I have a spare cradle and interested to see what you come up with...... (as always Voodoo)

#32 ·
""""""""My housemate has been a machinist for 16 years. So far hes whittled the cost of all the parts he wants to about 1800 for a home built 5 axis, which he will be producing a whole line of"""""""".

Home built 5 axis machining center????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! thats a good one!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.