: Blown head gasket @ 40k

FRNXSRX
04-29-09, 10:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Just like the title says. Head gasket blown at 40K. 2004 w/ 3.6L. Pass. side Coolant boiling out of O2 bung. Looks like it will run about 1500-2k in repairs. This will be for both sides. I'll keep you posted...

Frank

edvanp
04-30-09, 07:37 AM
Bummer man!

Superjim
04-30-09, 08:44 AM
Have you contacted the zone office about this?
It shouldn't be blowing head gaskets at 40,000 miles.

I would go higher then the local dealer.
That sucks.
Good luck.

TTopJohn
04-30-09, 01:08 PM
What was the progression of symptoms? Did the engine overheat 1st? That can cause a warpage of the heads and result in a head gasket leak.

FRNXSRX
05-09-09, 05:55 PM
No overheating. Just kept telling me to check my level. Level seemed fine. Then eventually I found the coolant boiling out of the O2 bung. My instant thoughts were blown head gasket.

It's in the shop now. Heads are off and at the machine shop getting checked.

What was the progression of symptoms? Did the engine overheat 1st? That can cause a warpage of the heads and result in a head gasket leak.

Northern SRX
05-10-09, 09:35 AM
Man, that sucks. Keep us posted and we can all learn something.

Good luck.

z06bigbird
05-14-09, 01:44 AM
Good news: Talk with service mgr at your local Caddy dealer.

Remind him that you are orig owner (if true).
That you do not hot rod the car. (if true)
That you take excellent care of it. (if true)
and that no major part of the drive train should fail in first 50k miles (engine, tranny, transaxle).

Ask how GM can help you. Volunteer to pay part of the cost.

Bad news:

Detroit is in terrible shape right now, and much of the normal goodwill or customer appreciation has likely been suspended right now. In the past, GM was very hepful; Chrysler will not talk with anyone even one day out of warranty. Ford is in the middle.

If Service Mgr says he cannot help, ask if you can approach the GM, the owner, and eventually (and individually) the regional people. As stated, in the past goodwill has been available. Right up, many things are up in air.

The key to entire situation is finding the right GM dealer and maintaining a positive and professional approach to dealer.

cadillacroadside
05-14-09, 11:03 AM
goodwill has NOT been suspended...that in itself would be a downfall. understand what the purpose of goodwill is. it is to serve to customer.. are you the original owner (if not you are not the customer). just because something broke in a shorter than expected time period does not mean you are entitled to goodwill (things break the world is an imperfect place), did you service your vehicle at the dealer? or did you give all of your money to bubbas quick lube and hot dog stand ALL FACTORS ARE CONSIDERED AND GOOD WILL IS HANDLED ON A ONE AT A TIME BASIS

z06bigbird
05-19-09, 10:39 AM
G/W suspended. Poor choice of words on my part. It is just that I have seen some local GM dealers really cut back. I will admit one of these dealers was just notified that he "is losing his GMC and Pontiac dealership."

Being entitled to g/w?? I agree that customers are not entitled to g/w. I also believe that it does not hurt to offer the split the cost, thereby possibly gaining some goodwill assistance.

Dealers I deal with agree that the engine, tranny, and/or rear end should not fail in 50k miles. I am willing, however, to meet the dealer half way on the cost. I also realize the mechanic must make a living.

I think we are on the same page.