: EGR Pintle Stuck????

Pjs
07-12-04, 06:58 PM
My cars been throwing the PO36 pintle out of position code since I bought it. This past weekend I decided after reading all the posts about cleaning the pintle to go ahead and do it. Looked to me to be about a 30-60 min job. It took me almost 2hrs just to get the dang fuel lines disconnected, bought 2 different tools and finally got it loose. Had to competely pull the fuel rail and stand it up to get enough clearance to get the one bolt off. I was totally surprised me to find that there was NO carbon build up at all...as a matter of fact there was barely any soot on the valve at all and nothing in the EGR holes in the manifold. I could not budge the pintle at all to clean the seat, which I thought was odd. All I could do was spray some carb cleaner on the part of the shaft I could see and then let it dry. Took almost 3hrs to get the thing apart but had it all buttoned up and running in 20 mins. I thought I was good to go, but after a hour, I got the PO36 code again. I'm thinking that perhaps the vavle is bad. Any ideas???

Patrick

Ranger
07-12-04, 10:25 PM
The pintle should move freely. If I recall correctly the bottom side of the pintle has a hex head. Use an Allen wrench to free it up then clean it again with carb cleaner til it moves freely. Be sure to hold it up right so as not to let any carb cleaner run down into the can. It will destroy it.

BeelzeBob
07-12-04, 11:51 PM
The part that you needed to clean is the shaft the pintle rides on up inside the passage that is cast into the base of the EGR valve. The shaft gets carbon on it where it is exposed inside the passage and will stick in the seal to the outside world. Be very carefull with the solven so as to not let any run up the shaft inside the can of the valve or it will eat the insulation off the wire windings inside the can and destroy the valve.

Pjs
07-14-04, 07:50 PM
I guess my question then would be should the pintle be able to be moved easily by pushing up on the seat? I thought that this thing may have been stuck but I wasn't sure if there was a spring inside the can exerting downward force. I found one cut away of the EGR, but it's a crappy drawing and can't tell from it. The PO36 doesn't get set all the time, but everytime I start the car and the DIC say's "Service Vehicle Soon" sure enough the PO36 is current and the car idles rough.

Patrick

Ranger
07-14-04, 09:02 PM
Yes, the pintle should move very easily. I would remove it and clean it again til it moves up and returns without hanging up.