Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Removing plastic by air filter for more airflow?

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  verywhitedevil 
#1 ·
Read in a thread (now i can't seem to find it) about removing the plastic by the air filter so CAI can breathe better? Is this something that can be done?

I looked and there is a little hole smaller than a fist sized that leads to fender in that plastic piece i'm talking about. I think its probably left over from the stock air box.

#2 ·
I'm interested in hearing more about this also! I just finally installed a lingenfelter CAI last week and had a hell of a time ripping the rubber piece out. WTF it was riveted to part of the front bumper that I almost destroyed. The instructions just said pull out/remove the rubber piece - yeah right lol.

#4 ·
true story, i used a flat head screw driver to pry and loosen the 4 rivets, way to much work for a rubber baffle.. i have heard from another memeber that removing this rubber baffle makes a big difference..

remove the hard black plastic shield that is on the right of the stock air box as well.. this might free up a little more air

get a new tube too or else you get relatively nothing out of a CAI

yeah yea, i know, i just used this thread as an excuse to poast pics of my car ... im not sorry, tony told me to do it!!

#3 ·
hey that was my thread......
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...33-dallas-dyno-results-post-pics-video-4.html
I have a K&N CAI then had my car dyno tuned, the soft rubber flap I believe was being sucked into filter --BAD!!!
I believed this caused my AF to run rich. So I removed the soft rubber piece AND the hard plastic housing bolted to fender -- I was running rich I needed more air.
I would also recommend to clean the MAF with MAF Cleaner, I bought @ autozone...

-Jerry

#7 ·
The only thing to watch out for when removing the "snorkel" behind the front grill is driving behind someone in the rain. That little rubber piece allowed the stock airbox to suck air from the front grill area, but it was pointed up to keep water from soaking the filter element (actually a pretty good design).

Pulling it off will surely result in a little more airflow, but opens up your exposed cone filter and engine bay to water spray. Watch out for that when washing the car too, as a high pressure spray from a hose into the grill will soak your filter.

#11 ·
Same here!

#10 ·
i removed all those restricing parts and im running rich. Its not going to make a difference in my experience

#23 ·
True, I had my car on the dyno and tuned last weekend and couldn't believe 10.8:1 A/F Ratio my car had! Talk about FAT, First thing that came to mind was all of the money wasted on premuim fuel!

I can't see how removing any restrictions is going to help this rich condition. Plus even if it does, the car automaticly dumps even more fuel in the upper rev bands to cool the cats!

#22 ·
i also removed the plastic crap from behind the grill. with the heat shield out i just stuck my hand down in there and yanked it out.

honestly i dont think this makes any difference. but when its about to be 110 outside i figure the intake could use as much "cold" air as it can get. non the less its weight reduction

#26 ·

is this the snorkel people are talking about? its at the front on the side of the radiator.. looks like removing it would allow a direct flow of air to the intake, but also water

#28 ·
#27 ·
Yes that is the snorkel. I removed mine and have never had any water issues even in serious downpours.

#31 ·
just completed the entire process AND cut out the bottom quarter of the airbox facing the newly removed plastic in the fender area. Put a drop in K & N and I see no reason to drop 250 on a CAI and can purchase 2k3rc51's new moter mounts. Along with my tune this weekend, I have to say that there definitely is increased airflow and V is running STRONG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.