Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  stuckey 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have Nissan 3.5VQ and I have had zero issues with 115,000KM on it. What kind of reliability can I expect with a 05-06 cts-v?

#2 ·
Hi Guys,

I have Nissan 3.5VQ and I have had zero issues with 115,000KM on it. What kind of reliability can I expect with a 05-06 cts-v?
I've had a lot of domestic cars with more km and zero issues.

You probably would have issues with an '05/'06 CTS-V ... some minor, some more significant depending on how you drive it. The 3.5VQ can have timing belt problems, for example.

Are you contemplating to buy a V?

#3 ·
I have an '05 with 80K. I have modified it, but still drive it moderately - no tracking either drag or autocross, no speed shifts and no hard launches. My rear end was replaced under warranty at 35K with a new improved version, which incidentally is said not to be all that stronger. My radiator leaked and it was replaced under warranty as a design defect. My transmission was replaced at 49K. My sense is the transmission casting was defective causng 5-6 gear syncro to fail. I replaced shocks at 65K. Despite this, my motor seems stronger now than when new, and expect at least 250K out of it.
Bear in mind that I am a geezer who has long since done all the drifting, dragging, autocross and SCCA events. If you track the car or drive it hard on the street I think you will have drivetrain problems. But, with well-balanced driving the car will last a very long time.

#4 ·
Your feet will determine the reliability level. Discretion on launching (no clutch dumps) and shifting before you hit the rev limiter will put you far ahead of the pack in reliability. Also, if it wheel hops, back it off a notch.

I don't baby mine but I also don't use it as a drag car..........something it wasn't designed for.

#8 ·
If OEM differential had been stout, then you might need to consider a clutch, but as it is, I'd be mostly worried about the diff, especially if it's off warranty. Other than that, just the usual stuff like on any car.

#10 ·
:histeric: Bump

#12 ·
This is not the Car to buy if your worried about Reliability. Every car is different. But these car seem to have various issues, that effect most Cars.

To be honest, I've become quite tired of taking my Car into the dealer to fix things. Luckily its under warranty. But since I've owned it, less than 1 year, its been to the dealer 10+ times for a variety of different things. FYI

#15 · (Edited)
I definitely agree on this one. I love the car's overall appeal in terms of style and power but reliability is a shady subject in my opinion. Thank god I bought my V with a warranty. My most recent is the power steering rack being replaced. Can't imagine the cost of this service out of pocket. The most irritating issue is definitely the shifting clunk. I've been trying to get used to it even after six months of owning my V and I still cringe at the sound of it. Also, the rear diff is a questionable component based on the fact that I've had mine replaced four times. I suggest you look in the "VIN check" thread to research common problems that have happened to other V owners. Better yet, become a supporting member and have one of the moderators run a VIN check on the V your interested in. I did the VIN check to two of the V's I found which helped me decided on the one I currently own. Mine had plenty of warranty repair from the rear diff, tranny, to the radiator. I figured it was practically a brand new car with all the new parts that have been installed. What more can go wrong. :bigroll:

#13 ·
I cant help but drive this car with a constant worry that something is going to break. Everything is on the cusp of f*king up. You cant improve anything or warranty is gone. Warranty or not, going to the dealer is just a pain in the ass unless you have one of the few that 'cater' to Vs

my advice is to buy one with PLENTY of factory warranty left. Prices are in the shitter. find an 07-07 unless you just HAVE to have the LS6. you'll thank me later. jmo

#16 ·
I've had my 04 V for 10 months now and put 20k on it (car has 69k). I drive pretty hard but no dead stop clutch dumps. Only issues i've had are radio buttons pealing (waiting on seaV to grace us with his presence with the new ones!!!), radiator replaced for bad design, and...well I guess thats about it. :thumbsup:

Every car is different, but tis true the V's are known to have some problems like any car. Every car has weaknesses but the V community seems to find all of ours since everyone is pushing these cars to the limits and we are well informed and constantly educated on problems and fixes. Some cars people just never get into changing stuff that will effect other parts of the car. Such as...adding MAGGIE :burn:. This of course puts more power down and strain on the diff. Nothing against having one as I want one really really really bad(money wont allow it right now :violin:) but it can effect other parts of the car.

So if you're buying a car based on what issues it could have the V is not right for you...there probably really isnt a car out there that is. If you're buying a car because you want a great car that if kept up will run for 250 or 300k, has all the luxuries and comforts of a caddy, looks great, has a GREAT support group to go with it, and give you a nice woody every time you hit the gas then this is the perfect car. Go out make your purchase and join a great group of people that drive a great car :highfive:.

On a side note we should get the burn out smiley changed so he breaks the tires loose through 4th. My car does...;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.