: Latest FNG

Ellis1
07-12-04, 06:42 PM
Hello All. Nice board ya got here. I've decided I need a Caddy so I'll probably be spending some time here. I'm heading to an auction tomorrow to try and pick up an STS/SLS. Can anyone tell me the differences between the two for the 98 model year? I know the 300hp vs. 275hp, but what else?

Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks, Chad.

caddyshack24
07-13-04, 10:22 AM
You NEED a caddy? i like that.

Not sure of the difference in those years.. i can say the STS is the touring sedan, which handles better. SLS is luxury sedan.. so reduced handling in the name of comfort. atleast thats how it was in 1993.. might not hold true now.

Maintence Records? Gotta make sure the coolant was kept up to date.. else you're looking at head gasket problems. I'd inspect for an oil leak now that im aware of it.. lets see, thats all i can think of. best of luck, post some pictures of your find?

Ohh, 1998 had OBDII, not sure how you access it.. might want to check for codes (on board diagnostics.. lets you see problems)

See ya in the forums .. and welcome.

Ellis1
07-13-04, 09:33 PM
Thanks, I didn't get one today. I let a '96 get away from me.

There's always next time.

caddyshack24
07-14-04, 07:55 AM
Welcome, Right.. always next time -- 1993 & 1996 are the fastest of the two
Best of luck

Ellis1
07-14-04, 10:44 AM
I have my TA for going fast. :lildevil:

I'm really wanting to find a 98 STS. Anyone know if they are prone to any particular problems?

CADDYBLACK99
07-14-04, 05:54 PM
Welcome Ellis1!
Thanks for joining the forum. Take your time and find the right one, you'll be glad you did. Good luck!
:welcome:
Paul

Raze
07-16-04, 03:27 PM
Welcome, and to answer your last question yes there are a couple things you need to be aware of before you buy. Search the board for "headgasket" (most info on this particular problem will be located in the Northstar Engine sub-board) and pay attention to threads with bbobynski (I think that's how you spell his name) responses as he was/is a Cadillac drivetrain engineer that helped design the Northstar that now resides in many member's Cadillacs and usually provides incredibly detailed responses to questions/concerns.

Ellis1
07-19-04, 11:15 PM
Thanks Raze, I'll keep that in mind.