: Web space...

tru504187211
07-12-04, 05:31 PM
I was just wondering if there was any interest in this particular community for web space. I was planning on modding my linux machine with some raid-5 for webhosting purposes for a bit more experience and wanted to know if there are any interested people on this forum...

JHoppe3@wi.rr.com if interested...

Also, what would a random potential client what in mind for space accomodations, bandwidth, etc? Any ideas?

I was thinking along the lines of 300 MB storage, $5/month, no banners/ popups. Ideas, suggestions?

PMichaud
07-13-04, 08:55 PM
I think the stuff you have installed is more important than space (php/mySQL, phpMyAdmin, etc) -- also, bandwidth, uptime, and speed.

tru504187211
07-13-04, 09:23 PM
Thanx for the reply... I'm currently on cable internet (time warner cable) and I have not had an outage last more than 4 - 5 hours, and the last outage was probably about 8 months ago. Does this still qualify for 99.9% uptime? :) Yea, it is going to be a linux box, so those programs will be installed for sure...PMichaud, what other programs do you think would be necessary in addition to php/mySQL, phpMyAdmin? What do you think people out there are needing?

BeelzeBob
07-13-04, 10:37 PM
The whole 99.9% uptime thing is ridiculous if you really think about it and figure out the numbers. I think 99.5% allows for a full day of down-time..

Otherwise.. People like having cPanel.. And Zend Optimizer helps with speed...

tru504187211
07-13-04, 10:51 PM
So basically 99.9% is just a number thrown out there to mean reliable?...its all about marketing, isn't it? What exactly does CPanel do...its a web based control panel for web admins to administer their sites?

daacon
07-14-04, 04:58 PM
Good project , just be carefull if you start charging for services I would want to make sure I had very good details of what I was providing. Some people can get pretty irrate in the event something happens (and they are paying - assume eveything is covered and recoverable for all time)

Huge difference between 98% uptime (or an 28 minute outage a day) and 99.9% (or about a minute and a half outage a day) ....

I am no Web guru by any means (database guy) php/mySQL definite must (or some sql dataabase) - Pop3 accounts are always popular ? Backups , Backups and more Backups , retention period , recover policies and procedures , lenght of term backups are kept.

Otherwise a sign up sheet that bascially says all bets are off - cost is to cover my time all Beta support and software .....take your chances.

Good luck..................dy

BeelzeBob
07-14-04, 08:22 PM
Yes, you're right about cPanel. You should also get "web hosting manager" AKA WHM for you, the server admin...