Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Paint and Powder guys come on in.

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  liqidvenom 
#1 ·
Just curious Me and my buddy are planning on clearcoating my rims to make them more glossy and Mixing some Black single stage hi gloss paint in with it to give them some more depth and since darker is more reflective. The concept will be like tinting headlights but with rims. I think its gonna turn out awesome and we are gonna mix a bunch of hardener to make sure they are durable.

My question to you guys is do you think this is a good idea for those who Know about painting over powdercoating? I Know it wont be quite as durable but since it will be mostly clear that shouldnt matter too much and if i need i can just do it again down the road

Btw dont get me wrong the wheels look good now but i just wish they were super glossy and a little darker in certain lights

Oh btw Its gonna cost ZERO DOLLARS because he has clear left over from a project and I have black left over from my golf cart

#3 ·
I'm out of my league on the PC.... I was just checking out your pics.... where exactly do you live in dekalb again? I noticed you didn't have any locking lugs and thought I'd drop by in the wee hrs of the AM to check them out myself..

PS.... if you V is on blocks in the morning don't come looking for me or your sweet looking rims

EDIT: If you don't have a dog maybe I'll bring some six point sockets and check out your painted calipers as well ROFL

Is your cart done yet? I'll be needing a speedy getaway vehicle

#5 ·
I'm out of my league on the PC.... I was just checking out your pics.... where exactly do you live in dekalb again? I noticed you didn't have any locking lugs and thought I'd drop by in the wee hrs of the AM to check them out myself..

PS.... if you V is on blocks in the morning don't come looking for me or your sweet looking rims
South side its the rough part of town my townhome is on the south point golf course LOL Far away from all those reckless college kids :rolleyes: Hey find some accessory rims and Ill trade Ya even up I have been wanting those hardcore lately.

Oh yes and the cart is almost done Will be tonight hopefully. My buddy was trucking for the last 4 weeks and just got back so we painted the top sunday now i just have to put it together. I will post pics when its all finished

#4 ·
my wheels are painted and so far so good. just watch out for rookies at your local tire shop. PC is much more durable then paint but if you use lots-o-hardner you should be good to go. i did a flat clear with lots of hardner and it is holding up just fine.

btw i think it would sweet!

#7 ·
sorry for the threadjack, just learned my company is doing more layoffs in my dept starting tomorrow. I needed a good laugh, I cracked up thinking of peeling away in your stealthy black cart with your wheels and getting busted by the cops in the middle of the 7th green.

#10 ·
Understand that paint will not hold up as well as powder coat and you have to treat the rims like the rest of the car when you clean them. Only nice sponges, standard soap - nothing abrasive, later on down the road you may have to wax them, if you take them off the car you wont be able to set things on top of them, etc, etc.

Personally I would never use automotive paint to shoot my wheels. Ive scuffed billet rims and shot them with clear to eliminate polishing, but Ive never shot wheels past that. Hell, I dont even know how well the clear held up to daily driving, the customer moved relatively soon after I shot his car.

Powdercoat will be your best bet, if its too expensive I understand, but something tells me youll get tired of scuffing and respraying your wheels every couple months..

Oh and add the correct amount of hardener to the clear coat, dont add more hardener. This actually has a reverse effect and the paint will stay gummy for weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.