: Painting 1987 Brougham vinyl top

brenscars1
04-28-09, 12:53 PM
Just bought an '87 Brougham with a white weathered vinyl top. Top is still there but faded and starting to crack in places. A friend advised me to just get some exterior latex house paint, roll it on and it would look great. I am a bit weary about putting white house paint on my car. Has anyone here done this beforea dn with what results?

75sled
04-28-09, 01:09 PM
I don't know if it would work or not, but my first reaction upon reading that was to Laugh Out Loud. Not to offend anyone, it just sounded funny in my head when I was reading it.

carnut
04-28-09, 04:09 PM
I've used vinyl interior dye sold thru PEP BOYS. Make sure and clean the top with TSP or something that will remove any silicones or dirt. I did my 84 Eldo last summer, still looks good. Takes longer to mask off the car than to spray. I also left the car in the garage 2 days after to make sure it was dry. Took 3 cans on a half top, but I went from light to dark tan.

Brother_B
04-28-09, 08:17 PM
I have a white top too. I am thinking about touching up mine as well. I have heard the dyes works well, but I figure they won't work on white. A friend told me he has used a "vinyl paint", in a spray can, that he got at Pep Boys. (I am only considering this as a temporary option, by the way. I plan on having the top re-done ASAP.) Looking around, I found some spray paint for vinyl at Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advance. Problem is, the only white available was glossy. So I bought a can of flat white Rust-O-Leum Fusion for plastics. Like I said, temporary. I have some serious staining so I think a crappy paint job would look better for a while. If mine was just weathered, I probably wouldn't risk it. I'm still googling around, I'll let you know if I find a good product.

77CDV
04-28-09, 10:51 PM
Just bought an '87 Brougham with a white weathered vinyl top. Top is still there but faded and starting to crack in places. A friend advised me to just get some exterior latex house paint, roll it on and it would look great. I am a bit weary about putting white house paint on my car. Has anyone here done this beforea dn with what results?

:eek: :thehand: :nono:

I tried this strategy some years ago with a 77 SDV with a dying brown top. It did not turn out well. Bite the bullet and just replace the top.

jayoldschool
04-29-09, 09:31 AM
Top can be re-dyed, but latex house paint will not work. The best dye made for consumer use is SEM. Check out their site, and give it a shot. It will work very well, and will not flake off IF you prep the top correctly. I have some to do an armrest, so I will put together a how-to on my 81 coupe thread eventually...

http://d-a-p-i.com/sem.JPG