: 2001 STS vac leak at intake

04-27-09, 10:51 PM
I have an 01 STS that has a mild intake leak at the rubber coupler between the intake manifold and water crossover assembly. I have tightened the 3 t-body bolts and the large clamp at the intake bit more but the leak is still there. I know the coupler needs to be replaced but does anyone know if I have to pull the intake off, or can I just remove the t-body bolts and clamp and squeeze it in there?

04-28-09, 09:34 AM
The part required is called "plenum": There has been so much posted here about the problem that it would fill a NYC telephone book !!

Yes, the intake has to come off. Use the search button up in the blue bar.

The intake manifold bolt torque is 8 ft/lb. Not much, be careful. Lift the fuel rail and injectors as a unit. Replace the injector lower O-ring seals.

Click on the picture and zoom in to get the part number. Dealer only. $40. (If you feel you need to replace the manifold gaskets, get them from www.rockauto.com. or a NAPA store.)

04-28-09, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the great info! Doesn't look too hard to do.

04-28-09, 10:13 AM
As long as you're at NAPA, ask them about the fuel rail quick-connect removal tool. Some need a sort of slip fitting which trips the quick-connect clips inside the fuel line barrel. Others, you can get away with fine needle nose pliers. DON'T screw up the fuel line O-rings. use the Schrader fitting on the fuel line to depressurize the system, catch the ounce of fuel in a rag. Cycle the key on, wait, off - three times to repressurize the rail after repair.

05-06-09, 05:14 PM
Simple 1 1/2 hour job!!! Car is much better now.