: Power steering effort goes up when car warms up

TimmyC
04-27-09, 07:36 PM
I have 2006 STS4 with the 1sg package and the power steering is starting to become a problem. A couple weeks ago I noticed that the steering was harder when I got to my destination than it was when I left. The pump starts to whine after the car warms up and I turn the wheels when stopped. There is almost no assist at that point. If I rev up the motor a bit I get some assist. Is this a pump issue or a rack issue? I'm thinking pump but some other threads seem to point to the rack

Edit: The reservoir is full

next2pool
04-27-09, 08:25 PM
Sometimes the pump can ingest air and cause what you are describing. Check the tightness of the fittings on the pump and the rack. Any looseness on the low pressure side can cause this. It's not common and a bit of a long shot but it is a freeby to try. Also make sure the line from the reservoir to the pump is not kinked.

TimmyC
04-30-09, 09:46 PM
I checked the fluid and it is not aerated. I also have a wrecked 2006 STS that I'm fixing so I'm going to try the pump from that car. I'll repost when I get that installed.

TimmyC
05-01-09, 12:59 AM
It was the pump. I just finished swapping it over. It's quieter now than it ever was and the steering is lighter than ever too. The pump was on it's way out when I got the car. Now I'm not sure if I should put the new pump I'm going to have to buy on my car or the wreck. The wreck only has 33,000 on it so I might just leave that pump on my car instead of putting the new one on there.

next2pool
05-01-09, 11:16 AM
I checked the fluid and it is not aerated. I also have a wrecked 2006 STS that I'm fixing so I'm going to try the pump from that car. I'll repost when I get that installed.

Aeration may not show up in the reservoir since it doesn't circulate through it like the old integral pump/reservoirs.

dick62m
06-12-09, 08:51 AM
timmyc;

the dealer is telling me i need to replace the p. steering pump on my '05 sts-4/v-8. how big a deal is this?

dick62m

TimmyC
06-24-09, 12:17 AM
timmyc;

the dealer is telling me i need to replace the p. steering pump on my '05 sts-4/v-8. how big a deal is this?

dick62m

Sorry I didn't see this, the site won't let me use my yahoo email so I don't get notifications.

Changing the pump is not that hard. You have to take the airbox out and the engine cover and side cover. The pump has two bolts that hold it to the motor. One goes into the head from the side and the other one goes into the block from the front. If you look around you'll see them. Then there's the pressure line and reservoir hose. If you've worked on cars before you'll figure it out. Otherwise it probably doesn't take the dealer guys that long so it shouldn't be too bad labor wise.

M.A.C
01-23-10, 08:08 AM
My '05 STS has the same problem. The other day I noticed it was harder turn when pulling into a parking spot. Now I can't turn unless moving and accelerating, which must increase line pressure enough. I did notice the power steering fluid was a little low so I added fluid. I'll check for leaks but I have a feeling that the power steering pump has to be replaced.

TimmyC
01-23-10, 06:08 PM
I took the bad pump apart after I replaced it. The rotor and housing inside were scratched up like sand went through it. I milled about .008 off each one and put the pump back together and it worked ok on another car. Not quite full pressure but the whining was gone and the effort stayed the same hot or cold. I don't recommend that necessarily but it was fun to do it to see if it would work.

char1iebrown
01-23-10, 08:00 PM
honestly it sounds like a slave cylinder...

M.A.C
01-24-10, 03:19 AM
I noticed dirt inside when I topped off with power steering fluid. So I'm thinking the fluid is worn out and dirty. I might try to flush the fluid by disconnecting the hose and starting the engine and let it pump out into a container. The pump is not noisy, so I'm thinking the fluid may be the problem?!

BaTu
01-24-10, 03:37 PM
You won't get a flush of the rack unless you turn the wheel lock-to-lock, while it's running, when you do it.

bobby_05sts
01-25-10, 08:48 AM
My power steering went out a few months back but it was my fault from doing a couple donuts. I didn't have any noise, and flushed the fluid but still didn't work. I ended up just taking to the dealer and they replaced the pump along with a flush. They charged like 550 but that included a tranny flush as well. Would be much better to do it yourself if you can.

TimmyC
01-26-10, 10:40 AM
My power steering went out a few months back but it was my fault from doing a couple donuts. I didn't have any noise, and flushed the fluid but still didn't work. I ended up just taking to the dealer and they replaced the pump along with a flush. They charged like 550 but that included a tranny flush as well. Would be much better to do it yourself if you can.

How could doing donuts damage a power steering pump?

bobby_05sts
01-26-10, 11:34 AM
How could doing donuts damage a power steering pump?

From holding the wheel to tight for to long :banghead:. Showing off the N* raw power :D, lol. It heats up to much and doesn't have time to cool down. The fluid was so burnt the next day when I flushed it out after realizing I could not turn my wheel at a stop, but no sound unless I turned the wheel all the way and rev the engine