: STS 06 Navigation question

dhac
04-27-09, 01:46 PM
Is there anyway to program the navigation to take a preferred route, which is shorter that the 3 options it provides. Quick selection=222 miles. Normal=166 miles. Short=162 miles. Neither the preferred route. IE: I would like to go from Davenport IA to Madison WI, via I-74W to US-51/151N to Madison. (This is also the Garman Routing, being 117.7 miles). Car Nav however,wishes to go either I-88E (toll Rd) to US-39/90N or I-80E (ad-voiding some tolls) to 39/90N to Madison. This Nav system isn't the easiest to learn. The Nav manual doesn't help me much. Especially trying to find the right info. Appreciate any help.

R1chard
04-27-09, 02:12 PM
Is there anyway to program the navigation to take a preferred route, which is shorter that the 3 options it provides. Quick selection=222 miles. Normal=166 miles. Short=162 miles. Neither the preferred route. IE: I would like to go from Davenport IA to Madison WI, via I-74W to US-51/151N to Madison. (This is also the Garman Routing, being 117.7 miles). Car Nav however,wishes to go either I-88E (toll Rd) to US-39/90N or I-80E (ad-voiding some tolls) to 39/90N to Madison. This Nav system isn't the easiest to learn. The Nav manual doesn't help me much. Especially trying to find the right info. Appreciate any help.

Make a custom route, with specific drive through way points. Example when I travel from point A to B, I am very specify that I want to go through A1 A2 A3 before reaching B my destination.
Create the A1) way point somewhere/within route I-74W, then A2) US-51/151N and finally B) Madison

Hope it helps!

dhac
04-27-09, 02:45 PM
R1chard:
Thanks for the info. I figured there must be away. I'll give that a try as soon as I figurer out how to do it. Thanks again..

hugo
04-28-09, 12:04 PM
I have a 2008 STS with NAV so this may not work with your 2006 but for what it's worth - My Nav system usually selects only main routes to whatever destination I program. If I know of a better route, I just ignore the NAV instructions and follow it. The NAV will usually adjust itself to the new route automatically but sometimes it will tell me I'm off the route and ask if I want a new route. If I say yes, it will usually find the better route. This may not work for you but it is worth a try.

I prefer the OnStar Turn-by-Turn system to the built in NAV system but the ~ $100 per year isn’t worth it to me.

dhac
04-28-09, 12:23 PM
hugo:
Thanks for the info. On my last trip it kept telling me to make a legal "U" turn. After 1/2 way to dest., it sorta caught on. R1chard provided some feed back using waypoints and I'm finding out a little about being in the correct region to program way points. Wish someone had a cheat sheet like I found on the forum for getting home and entering a destination address. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks again. All help appreciated.

hugo
04-28-09, 12:55 PM
dhac,
Your right, the NAV is a PITA to program. The OnStar system is easier to work with but as I said it's not worth ~ $100 per year to me.

If you find an easy way to program the on board NAV system (cheat sheet?), please share.

dhac
04-28-09, 01:30 PM
hugo:
I don't remember where I found the "Cheat Sheet" I referred to, but it was on this forum somewhere, but if you'd like a copy, I can email you one.
dhac

dhac
04-28-09, 02:34 PM
Make a custom route, with specific drive through way points. Example when I travel from point A to B, I am very specify that I want to go through A1 A2 A3 before reaching B my destination.
Create the A1) way point somewhere/within route I-74W, then A2) US-51/151N and finally B) Madison

Hope it helps!

R1chard:
Been trying 2 days now (about to run battery down) trying to program the route like you suggest. Not having much luck, & the manual next to useless for me. Any additional suggestions or help be appreciated.
dhac

up1night
04-28-09, 03:17 PM
Hey, i would love a copy as well. Tried to send you a PM it wouldn't let me though.

Regulator
04-28-09, 04:51 PM
This Nav is the biggest PITA to learn and operate. Any normal GPS, Garmin, Tom Tom, random generic foreign brand- I can figure out within 2 mins. The GPS used in the 06 is very unfriendly and has no "flow" to it what so ever.

Oh well.....at least it looks cool when used for DVD's and the stereo.

up1night
04-28-09, 05:49 PM
Hey found that cheat sheet again:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/135757-sts-navigation-tutorial.html

R1chard
04-28-09, 08:33 PM
R1chard:
Been trying 2 days now (about to run battery down) trying to program the route like you suggest. Not having much luck, & the manual next to useless for me. Any additional suggestions or help be appreciated.
dhac

@dhac: give me the exact addresses you want to use, I'll make a movie step by step inputting the way I recommended on my own STS. ;)

EDIT: Is this what you want?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/_bWs_/MapCadillacForums.jpg

hugo
04-29-09, 11:57 AM
Hey found that cheat sheet again:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/135757-sts-navigation-tutorial.html

Thanks for the link. The cheat sheet is way better than plowing through the 6 manuals (2" thick) that came with my 2008 STS. I think the manuals must have been written by lawyers and non English speaking idiots.

AllWheelEric
04-29-09, 11:41 PM
I'm glad to see that cheat sheet I created for my wife coming in handy for others.

To force a specific route, you would follow a version of this:
1. Press the Route button
2. Enter a location using any method (street address, intersection, exit number, etc)
3. Press the Diamond icon, not the Target icon.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for all but the final destination.
4. Enter the final destination using any method.
5. Press the Target icon.

I don't know what insane engineer thought any human would intuitively know the difference between the Diamond and the Target without reading the manual. They should have used more words or made on-screen context sensitive help available.

By the way, the intersection routing doesn't work well for highways. It would be nice to specify a waypoint of the intersection of Route 80 and 380, but that won't work because it's not a surface street intersection.

Onalaska
04-30-09, 07:07 AM
It's always a good idea to use the route preview screen to make sure it takes you exactly on the route you want. Many times I have selected one of the 3 routes only to find they didn't take me down the road I wanted because the lack of detail when it shows you the three routes.

stevenriz
04-30-09, 07:10 AM
it is a great help Eric. thanks again. What is the 1SG option by the way? I am wondering if I have it on mine?

AllWheelEric
04-30-09, 03:01 PM
it is a great help Eric. thanks again. What is the 1SG option by the way? I am wondering if I have it on mine?
1SG is the most inclusive option package. Everything but AWD, HUD, and ACC. Take a look at the Owner's Manual thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/163318-cadillac-sts-manuals.html) and download the Ordering Guide. Then look under your spare tire cover and compare codes and you may learn a lot more about what's in your car. The ordering guide for 2005 will be 99% accurate for 2006, and a bit less accurate for later years, but we don't have later ordering guides to post here.