: frustrated

equildon
04-26-09, 10:55 PM
I went to get in my 05 STS V8 4.6L today and when i pulled the handle the door would not open. When i pulled the handle i heard the beep, light on the door lit and the actuators sounded like they moved but door still remained locked. I tried to unlock with fob but still would not open. I had to go to the passenger side and open the driver's door from inside the car. All the other doors opened fine. Can anyone share their insights on the matter?

golfin0304
04-26-09, 11:43 PM
I had the same type of problems. I kept trying the driver's door and it worked once and then it wouldn't. I kept trying until no sounds were heard. I called roadside assistance and they replaced the battery. Everything works fine now.

C&C
04-27-09, 07:39 AM
Did you try the key; that might tell you whether it's the mechanical linkage or something electrical. (maybe just cycling it using the key may free something up internally) Good luck in your quest.

pgw85706
04-27-09, 09:47 AM
Consider this thread which discusses the part which may be the source of your problem.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/148103-drivers-door-no-longer-auto-unlocks.html

Pat

cocaines
04-27-09, 03:48 PM
i had this problem 4 times already, at first when i pulled the driver door all doors will unlock except the driver door, where i had to use the key, i would do that for 3-4 days and go back to normal, the same thing happened for the 2nd and 3rd time. the fourth time it got alot worst that when i pulled the driver door it would not open nor would it unlock the other doors. tat happened for 4 days aswell, and on the 5th day when i went to take it to the dealer it worked fine once again. everytime i try to take it to the dealer it works fine. so try to soldier it out for the 3 or so days if it dont work take it to the dealer for them to fix it. mine started working a week ago when i got it back from firestone after the changed my rims for me.

ifmracin
04-28-09, 10:25 AM
Step 1: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WVC54GCA (or something similar)
Step 2: Tell them you are going to call the cops
Step 3: Call the cops

Have the camera on the car at all times.
If you make an issue with them, I'm pretty sure they will still mess with it, so you need that for evidence.

Unique Distributing
04-28-09, 10:40 PM
I had the same issue one time i had to open it from the passanger side then it never happened again.. not sure if so many people have the same problem why GM doesnt recall the issue and fix it!

amgqmp1
05-23-09, 12:06 AM
i had this problem 4 times already, at first when i pulled the driver door all doors will unlock except the driver door, where i had to use the key, i would do that for 3-4 days and go back to normal, the same thing happened for the 2nd and 3rd time. the fourth time it got alot worst that when i pulled the driver door it would not open nor would it unlock the other doors. tat happened for 4 days aswell, and on the 5th day when i went to take it to the dealer it worked fine once again. everytime i try to take it to the dealer it works fine. so try to soldier it out for the 3 or so days if it dont work take it to the dealer for them to fix it. mine started working a week ago when i got it back from firestone after the changed my rims for me.

You've described exactly what my STS is doing right now. Thank god for the key. I'll do some more research on here, then get it into the shop. Driving an STS w/16000 miles that has keyless entry problems is lame. ;)

Moonstone05STS
05-25-09, 05:24 PM
Just had the same problem with my 05 STS, the driver's door would not open, but the passenger side would open fine. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the door handle. The driver's side works better than ever. We were having a slight delay when pulling on the handle, before it stopped working, and since the replacement no more delay.

amgqmp1
05-26-09, 07:52 PM
Just had the same problem with my 05 STS, the driver's door would not open, but the passenger side would open fine. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the door handle. The driver's side works better than ever. We were having a slight delay when pulling on the handle, before it stopped working, and since the replacement no more delay.

I've avoided a trip to the dealer (at least temporarily) by doing the following two things:

1 - Used WD40 to lubricate the door handle mechanism

2 - I put a keyfob in the center console "keyfob slot"; I then locked/unlocked/locked/unlocked the car using the drivers door switch (yes, I pulled these steps from my nether)

I'm not sure which of these did it, but, I'd tend to lean towards the chemicals. ;) I'll add that I also noticed the door handle sticking slightly preceding this failure again. If the car were under warranty, me thinks it would be getting a new door handle.

EChas3
05-26-09, 09:12 PM
WD-40 is a cleaner not a lubricant. It will likely happen again as it gets dirty. It might make sense to be on the lookout for a matching replacement on E-Bay or a recycler. Chances are you'll need one eventually and about $100 of the cost is painting it. Based on another thread it's pretty easy to do.