Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  heavymetals 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new here and don't know too much about cars. I am reading a lot here and learning, so I am sorry if my lack of knowledge irritates you.

I just purchased an 05 V, and I want to toss some more HP in it. I am thinking a supercharger and am wondering if it will fit. Also, what all would I have to do with it other than just purchase it and install it?
I read that the rear end isn't strong enough for the stock torque that the 04-5 vs have. I would definitely have to get a stronger rear differential if I purchase the SC right?
What are the types I should get?

Thank you for your responses!:D

#3 ·
IF you just bought a CTS-V than youre in the right place!! :welcome: to the forum!!

Most of the V owner have a maggie SC. www.mangacharger.com

You will need to find a vendor to purchase the SC as magnacharger likes to support thier vendors. I got mine at Vengeance Racing

I've had no problems with my diff, altho I never make hard launches due to the diff not handling the power.

Cowan

#4 ·
I am no where near the most knowledgable when it comes to the V. But i have done my fair share of research before purchasing my V that should be shipped to my house in a few days.

Maybe i can start you out in the right direction. Magnuson and Kenny Bell both have kits available. Maggie for sure... Kenne Bell i have only heard of individuals wanting. The maggie kit is around 5K-8K. 5K if you install it your self. Just google MagnaCharger CTS-V. You will find tons of info. I also have the install manual, if you want it... PM me and i can email it to you.

As far as the rear-end goes. I am 95% sure that the majority of the problems start with wheel hop. The maggie will eliminate this all together so i have heard. Tires will not even begin to gain traction in first, second sometimes third when aggressively accelerating. You can also do a VIN check on here to see if the previous owner had it replaced under warranty to the newish 06-07 rears.

#6 ·
Assuming, as you say, you don't know much about cars yet, I'd stick with MagnaCharger SC. It's fairly well proven in our cars, and the few glitches you may run into are well documented here, not to mention the guys with them here can help you.

In conjunction with a SC, yes, you will probably want to take measures to protect your diff. There are several levels you can take, and these are well documented within this forum. BTW, none of these are guaranteed to save your diff given sufficient abuse with the exception of a complete diff replacement/upgrade which will rid you of most of your money.

Welcome!

#7 ·
Welcome and congrats on the new car!!!

I know most here like stated above run the maggie's...but there are a couple V's running the procharger...but the ones running those have done alot to the rears

#9 ·
A Vortech kit would be sick on a V...if you don't mind the whistle of the centri.

The magnacharger is a proven kit for our cars without making the HP that will start breaking stuff.

One of the downsides to the centri is the boost capabilities and whether or not you have the self control not to up and up and up the boost.

I say give it a shot and report back!

#10 ·
lol
Maybe when I have enough money. College students aren't really known for their abundance of money and time to waste. I also don't want to destroy my new car.
In time (couple of years?) I might try it, maybe when I am out of school, if nobody else does. I am interested to see my V pushing out 530+hp.

#11 ·
If you want over 500rwhp you better start saving because HP in Vs aint cheap!! If I was in college id be saving for :alchi:

#12 ·
#14 ·
hahahahaha!

#15 ·
lol, yeah but I am going to be working on my grads soon... plus I am not the partying type.
So I think I might just go for new spark plugs and ignition wires right now. I will go for pulstar spark plugs, but what are good ignition wires?
links?
Also, noob question I guess. What is a pulse gap for the spark plugs? is it adjustable or do I need to buy the plug with the specific distance?

Thank you.

#16 ·
Also, noob question I guess. What is a pulse gap for the spark plugs? is it adjustable or do I need to buy the plug with the specific distance?

Thank you.
Gap should be .040. They are adjustable, but you don't want to buy a plug with a .060 and then gap it down to .040.

Buy one with as close to a .040 as possible and then adjust from there. A plug like NGK TR55 comes at .039, so that is a good place to start.

#18 ·
I used NGK TR55 plugs when I was N/A, and run TR6 plugs now with the maggie.

I can't comment on the coil packs, I still have no problems with the stock ones.

#19 ·
Word on the street is....MSD coils are NOT worth the money. Stock coils give plenty of juice

#22 ·
I picked up an 05 back in Febtober comming out of a 500hp Supercharged VW R32. It was mod hell. Driving the V with no mods is a pleasure...everything on this car is better except the transmission and that it needs a little moAr mAd powAh! Having done Stages 1 and 4 on the Volkswagen I now know to only go entry level FI to help retain reliability.

For thought:

I chase the illusion of forced induction reliability. My research shows the magnuson units typically being installed on these forums as positive displacement units. The procharger units are non positive displacement. Suppose one has a belt, pulley or bearing failure rendering the supercharger useless. Your car just became a 2 ton paperweight with the "maggie" because air cant pass through the supercharger unit helping to complete the fire tetrahedron. The non positive displacement units will allow air in allowing the car to limp around until you resolve the situation.

Im going to sit on the fence here. First off, the kits are too expensive. Secondly, I see too many bearing failures on the maggie. They are also prone to heat soak. Im also getting 19mpg on my commute which is perfect...any less starts to hurt in the summer. Lastly, the weight of this car is its biggest enemy...not the 400hp LS6.LS2.

For me, im going to move closer to my job and contemplate leasing an 09...a 12 sec daily driver, under warranty, on the short commute would be ideal for me.

#23 ·
Maggies are neat (I bought two) :thumbsup:

1. MSD coils look bitchin but as for a "performance gain", eh.
I had two failures out of the box (MSD warrantied them)

2. Bearing failure on the maggie is overblown. They get noisy yes, but they don't fail by turning to shrapnel.

3. With a belt failure on a V, your not going anywhere. Carry a spare with a wrench (almost mandatory survival kit with this car).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.