: 2004 SRX 3.6L V6 running rough at idle, getting P0300 and P0306 error codes

srxeffect
04-26-09, 02:29 PM
I have a 2004 SRX with ~60k miles. It has gradually started running rough at idle and low rpms. It also makes a low purring sound out of the exhaust and the check engine light will blink. When I get into higher rpms it seems to run fine and the check engine light stays on but does not flash. If I am in a higher gear and try and press the accelerator the engine / car seems to buck and I need to drop it to a lower gear. I got the OBD codes read and it shows a P0300 error and a P0306 error.

Any advice would be great. I am taking it to the dealer to have the catalytic converters changed out under a recall. Hoping this is the problem but the dealer always seems to fine another thing wrong with my car when I bring it in.

Thanks.

Superjim
04-27-09, 08:25 AM
I have a 2004 SRX with ~60k miles. It has gradually started running rough at idle and low rpms. It also makes a low purring sound out of the exhaust and the check engine light will blink. When I get into higher rpms it seems to run fine and the check engine light stays on but does not flash. If I am in a higher gear and try and press the accelerator the engine / car seems to buck and I need to drop it to a lower gear. I got the OBD codes read and it shows a P0300 error and a P0306 error.

Any advice would be great. I am taking it to the dealer to have the catalytic converters changed out under a recall. Hoping this is the problem but the dealer always seems to fine another thing wrong with my car when I bring it in.

Thanks.

P0300... RANDOM MISFIRE
P0306... MISFIRE CYLINDER 6

That could be the cause of the roughness.

cadillacroadside
04-27-09, 09:53 AM
check your oil level before you do anything, this engine will do that condition with a low oil level

jrsaltz
05-02-09, 07:04 PM
I am having the same problem with my 2004 srx v8.

Computer says its a P0638 - Throttle actuator.

I wonder what it costs to replace that!

bgrubb7
05-12-09, 12:08 PM
My 05 did the same thing, but I can;t remember if those were the exact same codes. I had a bad ignition coil on the #5 cyl. Mine was covered under warranty.

King3244
05-13-09, 01:14 AM
First thing I would do is clean the throttle body and put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in it.....Chevron seems to be the cleaner of choice per a different thread.

SRXinMPLS
07-10-09, 12:25 PM
I'm having similar problem with my 2006 with 57K miles. Got error codes P0300 and P0303. Dealer tried to tell me it needed $800 tune-up! Recommended miles for tuneup is 75K. I told them if thecode is on one cylinder, why should I pay for a full tuneup? I told him that some underlying issue must have contributed to the plug being fouled. My question is, how common are problems with coils? What should be my next steps with the dealer? The car is Cadillac certified, and should be warrantied to 100K miles.

thunderbyrd01
07-11-09, 02:38 AM
I had the same error codes & what youre describing about a month ago. I replaced the ignition coil on the cylinder that was misfiring and that cleared it right up. the coil was $90 something at the dealer and $ 52 at Advance Auto (they had to order it but it only took two days) I replaced it myself in about 30 minutes, good luck !

Thanks.

SRXinMPLS
07-22-09, 10:30 AM
Here's an update on my SRX with P0303 code. I have insisted that the dealer only change out the one plug on cylinder 3. That way we can prove if it's truly a plug or the coil. I know this is not the normal protocol, as they would have liked to do a full tune-up, but I wanted to pursue other options before spending that kind of money. They're putting in the new plug today, and I'll keep you posted on the results.

kae
08-01-09, 08:54 AM
Hve 2004 SRX, same "symptoms", error code showed injector 5 misfire. Had the coil changed on the spark plug - problem solved! Does not always have to be the big drama a Caddy dealer wants to make it!