: Buying a used 2007 SRX! Need your expert advice

actualactuary
04-25-09, 10:11 PM
Hey guys,
Looking into buying a used 2007 SRX v6. It has 42,000 KM and the previous owner apparently bought it at an auction and is willing to sell it for $21,000. The interior as you prob know is amazing, and I'm really impressed by the luxury feel of the vehicle.

I am concerned why he's willing to let go of the car for so low, considering the market value is around 30+. He's also a mechanic so it is possible that the car might have been involved in an accident previously and he could have it fixed up. Aside from getting a Carproof report, is there any other specific things I should look for in the SRX itself, before I purchase it?

What about the sunroof noise, or any other problems that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!!

jpettit
04-25-09, 11:56 PM
Depending on the options, the Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) price for a private party transaction is only about $21,650 USD. Detroit iron depreciates quickly. There are some high value options such as the panoramic sunroof and the Navigation System which will increase the value above this. It is a fantastic vehicle, specifically it has the most comfortable front seating of any car I have driven. It is literally "easy to drive" on trips or around town; smooth, and has nice handling. In general it is one of the best vehicles I have ever experienced.

I own the 2007. I believe the interior, gear shift, dash and steering wheel are the most attractive of any year model. That is why I bought it and didn't buy the Volvo, Saab 97, Toureg, Cayenne, Land Rover or a BMW. The Lexus and M-B looked, well, they looked like every other Lexus and Mecedes Benz.

Cross-over? Nah! The other members will hate me for this but it is a fantastic station wagon with big wheels and high ground clearance, which is EXACTLY what my wife and I appreciate. Great fit and finish. Great warranty. V6 is nice and responsive. Obligatory luggage rack. Good brakes which got even better in later models but too touchy for me in the 2008 or 2009. Problems? A few. Things I wish were done differently? Yup. Fun? Ya-huh! Driving down the freeway with the panorama roof open with another couple to dinner is great. If the seat belts fit and you like it, I recommend it. Get a Carfax and good luck.

Northern SRX
04-26-09, 06:53 AM
Where are you located? References to kms and $ suggests that you're in Canada.

If so, $CDN 21k is cheap for an '07 with that kind of mileage (i.e. average) if it's AWD and has any kind of equipment on it. Is it a Canadian or a US model? The difference is in the speedo (the Canadian speedo goes to 260 kph whereas the US model goes to 160 mph - both are adjustable to have the needle point to kph or mph) and the warranty (Canadian models get some free maintenance until 4yrs/80k kms). I would give a Canadian '07 or '08 about an additional $1000-$2000 in value over a US model up here. YMMV

If it's a US model RWD and a base model, the asking price is about average and, frankly, there are precious few Canadian regions where I'd recommend a RWD SRX so definitely check this out (see thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/167436-awd.html) for info on verifying this.

So, if it's a Canadian or a US AWD SRX (and even if it's not)...

IMO, you shouldn't waste your time and money on Carfax or any of its ilk. Spend a few extra dollars and get a mechanic to give it a thorough going-over. The CAA carries a list of independents who will do the job in your area. Specifically have him check for accident repair. Simultaneously, you can have a dealership run the VIN through and check for work done, parts ordered, and recalls.

BTW, I agree with jpettit that the SRX is a tall wagon with extra ground clearance. Looks wicked lowered...

c5 rv
04-26-09, 07:09 AM
There is a lot of confusion among owners about whether or not they have an AWD SRX. Be sure to check out the threads on this topic so you don't buy the wrong number of drive wheels by mistake.

jpettit
04-26-09, 12:03 PM
Having a mechanic look at the car is absolute a good idea if you are serious about following through on the purchase.
Other thoughts:
If CarFax shows even minor collision work was performed, make sure your airbags are still physically in the car. Newspaper wadding and a steering wheel cover replacement is less expensive than an airbag.
Get a GM build report based on the VIN so you know what options are on the car at manufacture.
Make sure any GM (or extended warranty) you have is transferable.
Determine whether there is a fee to transfer the warranty(s), if applicable.
See if the OnStar works and can be activated (as well as the Sirius radio) if you want them.
Almost exclusively, the RWD cars do not have a mechanical limited slip differential. If you need one, dealers I have talked to say it cannot be added, if you were expecting to use it. I find that hard to believe, but that is what I have been told.
Determine which recalls and TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) have been performed on the vehicle. One important one is the rear differential seal. One TSB is inspecting, tightening and lubricating the panorama sunroof.
Have fun with the car.

actualactuary
04-26-09, 12:31 PM
thanks a lot for the good advice.

yes i am in canada, and considering everything is in km on the car, im guessing its a canadian model. it is all wheel drive as well.

im planning on taking the car to a cadillac dealership for a checkup... i think they'd be able to give me the best picture of what was done to the car.

what was the problem with the sunroof? im not sure what you guys mean when u refer to the "differential", what was the problem there?

also, isn't it possible that if an accident is not reported to the police, the owner can take the car to any mechanic and have him fix it. that way it wudn't show up on carfax or in the dealership's system. thats what im worried about considering the owner's a mechanic himself and cud have done anythng to the car.

Northern SRX
04-26-09, 03:37 PM
thanks a lot for the good advice.

yes i am in canada, and considering everything is in km on the car, im guessing its a canadian model. it is all wheel drive as well.

im planning on taking the car to a cadillac dealership for a checkup... i think they'd be able to give me the best picture of what was done to the car.

what was the problem with the sunroof? im not sure what you guys mean when u refer to the "differential", what was the problem there?

also, isn't it possible that if an accident is not reported to the police, the owner can take the car to any mechanic and have him fix it. that way it wudn't show up on carfax or in the dealership's system. thats what im worried about considering the owner's a mechanic himself and cud have done anythng to the car.

Carfax is anything but exhaustive and cannot be relied upon. Long story short: get a mechanic to inspect it. If it has been accidented, IMO you should move on.

I don't how you can be so sure it's AWD. The 2007s do have an SRX-4 emblem on the rear hatch but I wouldn't let an emblem convince me. Look in the thread I linked you to and absolutely check the service parts ID label for the appropriate AWD code (also in the linked thread).

Finally, just because everything's in kms does not mean it's a Canadian car. On the SRX - like a lot of upscale GM vehicles, you can select metric or imperial in a menu and everything in the car changes from one to the other. That goes for US or Canadian cars. Like I said before, the speedo on a US SRX goes to 160:
http://www.babez.de/cadillac/srx2007/pic03.jpg

Whereas a Canadian SRX speedo goes to 260:
http://southsurrey.barneswheatongm.com/ucc-photos/DEALER/640x480/2646/121_12.jpg

It's no big deal - just important to know what you're getting.

Jake's SRX
04-26-09, 03:37 PM
When you take it to a caddy dealership and it is given the once over they should be able to tell you (usually) what body work has been done, looking for overspray underneath the car be clear on what you want them to focus on... I just purchase an 05 with twice the KM as you V8 mag ride awd ultraview,and paid $18000.
check the slides of the sun roof and see if they are grit filled, listen when moving it. when you put the wagon under some torsion(twist) stress you may hear the sunroof creak or pop.
You should look at the the posts http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/137903-srx-known-issues-common-questions-problems.html good info on issues.

I can't get it away from my wife so I can enjoy it, but have put a few KM on it and love it. If it's a good car you should enjoy it...

actualactuary
04-27-09, 04:45 PM
thanks for all the great feedback! really leaning towards it now...
what do you guys think about GM restructuring and possibly going bankrupt? does this have any impact on the warranties?

i have only bought honda and nissan in the past. how would you guys compare the parts and servicing? I'm guessing cadillac being a luxury brand, would it be higher? what are some of the costs you guys have come across as far as maintenance for the srx after owning it for a few years?

c5 rv
04-27-09, 08:26 PM
i have only bought honda and nissan in the past. how would you guys compare the parts and servicing? I'm guessing cadillac being a luxury brand, would it be higher?

LOL Don't read too many threads here...

Northern SRX
04-27-09, 09:52 PM
I bought nothing but Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Volvo for ~25 years before I bought my first GM in 2000 (a Bonneville). Lo and behold, that Pontiac turned out to be the most dependable car I've ever owned. We followed with a 2001 Grand Prix. Again, extremely reliable - although a little bland, SWMBO liked it fine. We're now on our 3rd Caddy and find them to be just like anything else - except, yes, you should expect more costly parts - although no more costly than a Japanese equivalent.

Jake's SRX
04-28-09, 08:08 PM
So the Toronto Star front page today had a report that Pontiac is gone. Chev,Buick, GMC and Cadillac will survive, for now. It also says 38,000 jobs lost across dealers, part suppliers and GM Canada over the next few years... NOT good news ... Interesting stat was back in the 80's they employed 48,000 and by 2014 down to 2014.
So Sounds like they are trying to stay around but in a radically reduced "industrial enterprise"
the way I see I'm going to have to get around with something that has 4 tires and I'm going to enjoy what I drive... right now that's a 2005 SRX.

Northern SRX
04-29-09, 05:07 AM
That's how I look at my cars as well - buy what you want to drive. Fear is the wrong motivator (for me) when choosing what to drive.

In any case, there are too many millions of GM cars on the road to be ignored - if GM fails, a business model will emerge to continue to service our rides. The warranties may disappear but, then again, there are already rival business models out there on that front.