: Shifting into reverse at 70mph

dannboss
04-25-09, 08:40 PM
I have been having issues with this for a while, and the dealership replaced my reverse lockout solenoid. Still having issues though! My cags is eliminated by my w4m tune. Any ideas? I also have a B&M shifter and UUC bushings. Could it be a problem with any of that?

ctsv154
04-25-09, 08:45 PM
If you push to hard you can push through the the solenoid. It wont completely lock it out so you can still get into reverse in the event of a failure. Its kind of spring loaded and if you are trying to jam it into 5th you can push through the gate.

Is this during casual shifting or wam bam shifting? I have a new solenoid as well and if I'm not careful I do the same.

PISNUOFF
04-25-09, 09:14 PM
Mine did the same thing. Ended up replacing the solenoid and having to rebuild the trans because the reverse synchro spun and welded itself to the shaft.

dannboss
04-25-09, 11:17 PM
Mine did the same thing. Ended up replacing the solenoid and having to rebuild the trans because the reverse synchro spun and welded itself to the shaft.

It is during normal shifting. I do have to push a little harder to get into 5th as it is, so when it does slip over I am already pushing harder.

AAIIIC
04-26-09, 07:28 PM
I've had this problem, but only when driving hard (at the track). The last trip to Pacific Raceways I was conciously going slower with the 4-5 shift to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I pulled my CAGS eliminator out a while back, thinking that may have been the cause, but it didn't change anything. Still need to get back under the car to re-install that...

ewill3rd
04-27-09, 07:49 AM
As stated, if you really want to and you slam the shifter hard enough you can get past the blocker solenoid.
It is spring loaded and even though it does block the gate, if you slam it, it will go even if nothing is wrong.

Mystical_Ice
04-27-09, 09:45 AM

i didn't know reverse had synchros...

PISNUOFF
04-27-09, 12:35 PM
Not sure now that you mention it. I do know that something spun and welded to a shaft and I couldn't get it into reverse without slamming it very hard. That was the explanation the dealer gave me, right or wrong they fixed it.

Mystical_Ice
04-27-09, 08:07 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure reverse doesn't have synchros - which is why quite often you've got to shift into one of the forward gears first, and then it'll let you shift into reverse ;)

wait4me
04-27-09, 08:15 PM
when the car is turned completely off, can you still go into reverse with the key out of the ignition and doors open? If so, something is wrong with the Rev lockout sol..

Twitch
04-28-09, 09:08 PM
I've had this problem, but only when driving hard (at the track). The last trip to Pacific Raceways I was conciously going slower with the 4-5 shift to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I pulled my CAGS eliminator out a while back, thinking that may have been the cause, but it didn't change anything. Still need to get back under the car to re-install that...
How fast do you get at Pacific Raceway?

when the car is turned completely off, can you still go into reverse with the key out of the ignition and doors open? If so, something is wrong with the Rev lockout sol..
So you cant go into reverse with the door open, and key out?
lol This is one of those things that makes you wanna go to your car, just to try it :cookoo:

benelliwang
04-28-09, 11:44 PM
T56 transmissions on our cars have reverse synchros. I have rebuilt several, they all have it.

ewill3rd
04-29-09, 07:43 AM
If you want to get into reverse you can do it pretty much at any time.
The reverse lockout only works with the car running and in motion.
It does not block the reverse gate with the door open or the key off.

KaMaSuTrA
05-04-09, 01:44 PM
This just happened to me twice going around the same speed on the highway last night. Not fun at all. I'll take it to the dealer regardless just to check it out but I guess I just have to practice better shifting throws to avoid the lockout failure in the future.

I'm guessing this was with a stock shifter?

ctsv154
05-04-09, 04:06 PM
If done it with my katech. Sometimes I just get excited going from 4th to 5th and can push through with ease.

ProdigalSON
05-04-09, 08:12 PM
Mine had this issue twice after I put the UUC SS on. Took it back to shop and they saw that the UUC bushings hadn't lined up correctly - they readjusted and have had NO issues with it since (3 months ago)...

Keeps fingers crossed and knocks on wood.