: 2009 V vs 2010 V at this point?

chukk
04-25-09, 06:11 PM
Greetings,
I had a V ordered thru Scott last month and while it was originally expected a couple of weeks ago, it has slipped to at least 5/24 and that was before any news of the plant closing down for 3 weeks....even though V's keep showing up and available???

Any thoughts on whether it makes sense to get a 2009 this late in the game without any incentives? In the past, you could get a great deal on a model right before the next year comes out.

I was fortunate to get the gms pricing thru the friends and family program. but was told by Scott that my gms pricing would be void though if I canceled this order, so I'm not sure if I could even opt for the 2010 versus 2009 with the GMS pricing....even though the delay was on GM's part, not mine. I would think a code/pricing would be valid when you bought any car, as long as it has not expired.

I'm just up in the air about getting a car so late in the year, with the delays. Am I taking a big hit here since there are NO incentives and it will be a year old upon delivery. I've been waiting since December so a few more months won't kill me if it makes more sense to go for the 2010.

Would appreciate all feedback.

Thanks,
Chuck

Razorecko
04-25-09, 06:31 PM
With the price increase in general on the cts-v and the cancellation of the gms discount you'd have to be crazy to drop your order for a 2010.

commander112
04-25-09, 07:14 PM
Think about it this way, there are no incentives on the V and truthfully I would not expect them until sometime in 2010 at it is still a new, relatively hot model. Your incentive came with you getting GMS pricing, which is no longer available to friends, saving you $2800 over supplier pricing.

qictrk
04-25-09, 11:27 PM
It depends on what your after. Your not going to get a discount on an 2010. But, the '09 will drop in value the minute the calendar turns over to '10. So, its sort of a wash. If you plan to sell in 3yrs or less, then i would go with the '10. If not, go for the '09. Cecil...........

Razorecko
04-26-09, 11:25 AM
unless you get the stickshift in an 09 and it really is discontinued for 2010. Than your vehicle would hold steady value with future years for a while.

Caroutisine
04-26-09, 12:26 PM
Always buy the newest, and what you see as the nicest car you can afford based on your situation.

Krug Ford
04-27-09, 05:25 PM
GM does not normally have GMS on the 2010 when they first come out.

We locked it in on the current program and it locked it in on the pricing too.

tedcmiller
04-27-09, 06:21 PM
Most of the posters to this thread are assuming that there will be a 2010 CTS-V. That could be an invalid assumption. As the blacksmith says, "Strike while the iron is hot." In this case the iron is the CTS-V. They have already scheduled a production stop on this car. It might never resume. GM just announced that the Pontiac line is being dropped. Avoiding bankruptcy is the primary concern now. Anything could happen. It is all about the bottom line. Sentimentality has no bearing on anything financial.

nc09v2
04-27-09, 09:47 PM
From what we've heard, the only changes for 10 are optional Black Sapele wood trim, the optional track brakes, and a $2,500 price increase.

The brakes on my 09 are superb, the faux carbon trim is a little over the top but quite tolerable, and with the discount you are getting I'd get the 09.

I've had mine since January and still get an adrenalin rush every time I drive it. For what it's worth, my wife and the kids all prefer going out in the V versus my Benz, and I've owned (they have ridden in) Benzes for a while.

You will not be disappointed with the 09, and it sounds like you will save pretty significant $$ over the 10 too. I vote for 09.

onephatguy
04-27-09, 11:55 PM
It depends on what your after. Your not going to get a discount on an 2010. But, the '09 will drop in value the minute the calendar turns over to '10. So, its sort of a wash. If you plan to sell in 3yrs or less, then i would go with the '10. If not, go for the '09. Cecil...........

egg salad or exactly, how ever you want to say it. There are no significant reasons to pay more for a '10.

SNAKEPLISSKEN
04-28-09, 11:49 AM
I'd get the 2010.

Hogg
04-29-09, 10:19 AM
I'd get the 2010 as well. There is always updates performed, esp. after the 1st year of a models production. There is lots if feedback from warranty work that gets applied to the next model year.

Who knows, if they pull a stunt like they did with the 02 ZO6(added 20hp) you may get some more stock power.

peace
Hog

Razorecko
04-29-09, 11:09 AM
you WILL NOT get any performance increase. With the disbanding of the performance division the motor will stay untouched as will the programming. Odds are the only new things you'll see are paint colors, rear camera, maybe hud, etc. Things that are applicable to the generic cts.

neuronbob
04-29-09, 12:59 PM
I'd still get the 2009. These cars will hold their value, even the automatics. With the Performance Division disbanded (for now) a new gen of V cars is likely a ways off as GM continues to concentrate on fuel efficiency. Even so, there will always be people who want this type of car and who will pay for a used V.

Ted's comments are right on the mark IMHO.

Dallara
04-29-09, 01:05 PM
~

As Ted said...

In today's political climate I would get what I could get.

Certainly GM and Cadillac have done all the R&D, laid the production lines, sourced the suppliers, etc., but there's no telling what is going to happen with BO's team & the UAW at the helm, and don't kid yourselves... That's who is going to be running GM, at least for the short term.

Even if the CTS-V survives the upcoming bloodletting - and trust me, that's coming - I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually offered with fewer options - i.e. look for the Recaro's and the 6-speed manual to disappear, etc. It could even lose horsepower, all in the hallowed names of fuel economy, emissions, and global warning - i.e. getting a severe re-programming of the ECU and TCM to improve mileage to get its EPA mileage rating up.

I'm so glad I've got my '09 when I did, and got it the way I ordered and wanted it, that I can't believe I was actually so lucky. If I didn't have one today I would be on the phone right now calling somebody like Scott or Tony trying to get one of the '09's they have on hand or on the way.

I would hate to be waiting to order a 2010 only to hear one of these days that GM was announcing there would NOT be a CTS-V in 2010...

If that happens you will be paying new 2009 prices for a used one.

Just my two cents... YMMV.

Dallara

~

Razorecko
04-29-09, 01:08 PM
It will be interesting to see how the uaw handles things when they'll be responsible for their own jobs and their own paychecks.

Caroutisine
04-29-09, 01:21 PM
I would be amazed if there is no 2010 V. Specially because the 09 seems to be having a shorter production run.

Dallara
04-29-09, 01:49 PM
~

I would be amazed if there is no 2010 V. Specially because the 09 seems to be having a shorter production run.

Hell, I am amazed right now...

I used to be a new car dealer, and if you had told me just 5 years ago that the UAW would be the largest stockholder in Chrysler and that the government would be forcing them to merge with Fiat, that GM would be on the edge of bankruptcy and be shuttering Pontiac and Saturn, that the US auto industry would now be directed by a government appointed "Auto Team", that Toyota would have lost money, etc., etc., etc... Or that Barack Obama would be president... I would have told you that you were friggin' crazy. :bulging:

But now here we are.

I have some very close friends inside of GM, and from what I am hearing out of there we all need to be afraid... Very, very afraid. :helpless:

And it's just starting...

We've got another 3-1/2 years of this ahead of us. :alchi:

Dallara

~

Vrocks
04-29-09, 03:24 PM
I'm waiting for the '10, and I'm not even slightly concerened about the V going away. I want to get the 2 piece rotors, wood trim, wifi, and Recaro seats + other running changes / improvements.

Buzduz74
04-29-09, 03:36 PM
Buy the 2009 as the 2010 may not come at all. There is no more hi pro division at GM and staying alive is their main concern.
I have a 2 week old 6 speed and love it. If you are worried about resale then don't buy the car at all. I had a pristene 2006 CTS -V that I could not sell and got $19500 from the dealer who still has the car on his lot.

Buzz

2000 Ferrari Modena
2005 Harley Ultra
2009 CTS-V 6 speed
2004 Lexus 330

demorgan59
04-29-09, 04:19 PM
I'm waiting for the '10, and I'm not even slightly concerened about the V going away. I want to get the 2 piece rotors, wood trim, wifi, and Recaro seats + other running changes / improvements.
I'm with ya Vrocks! Who's coming with us? Let's roll!!!!

Razorecko
04-29-09, 05:06 PM
This isn't obama's fault. Its just bad luck that he's got to fix this shit. Its been going on for more than a few decades already. A broken system not being repaired until it broke down

Caddyscat
04-29-09, 05:40 PM
If my order can't be processed as an 09', will it default to a 10' or is it just null and void? Guess I'll find out when my dealer calls. I hope to take delivery AT LEAST by early September.

:dammit:

qictrk
04-29-09, 08:25 PM
This isn't obama's fault. Its just bad luck that he's got to fix this shit. Its been going on for more than a few decades already. A broken system not being repaired until it broke down
No, its not Obama's fault that GM is in trouble, but it is his fault that he got tax payers money trying to prop it up along with a bunch of other businesses that we had no business to get into. He should have let them go into bankrupsey and let them restruture without getting the gov involved. Time will tell. Cecil.......

darjae
04-30-09, 12:03 AM
No, its not Obama's fault that GM is in trouble, but it is his fault that he got tax payers money trying to prop it up along with a bunch of other businesses that we had no business to get into. He should have let them go into bankrupsey and let them restruture without getting the gov involved. Time will tell. Cecil.......

Getting the Government (read...Taxpayers....you and I)'s money involved is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the federal government and the UAW taking stock in the company in lieu of cash to pay the debts/loans. The government and UAW will own over 85% of the company. How are the next labor negotiations going to go when the union owns your company? The cost of making an american car is not going to go down, of that I'm certain.

Razorecko
04-30-09, 09:24 AM
Getting the Government (read...Taxpayers....you and I)'s money involved is not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the federal government and the UAW taking stock in the company in lieu of cash to pay the debts/loans. The government and UAW will own over 85% of the company. How are the next labor negotiations going to go when the union owns your company? The cost of making an american car is not going to go down, of that I'm certain.

what blows @ss is that the us. gov owns the majority and not the uaw. If they uaw owned the majority than they'd only screw themselves but since we own the majority we know how this'll go

TopperHarley
05-01-09, 02:01 AM
I'm with ya Vrocks! Who's coming with us? Let's roll!!!!

Count me in!

Uriel
05-01-09, 07:11 PM
What's all this talk about what the Govt or the UAW or GM is doing or has done. All this person (me, I, whomever) cares about is my White Diamond, kick the ass off the BMW M5, 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. To hell with everything else. Ain't nothin' you or I can do about all this other mess. GM and the UAW built for all of us, one of the finest sedans in the world. So --- "Don't worry be happy". And I quote "Let's roll!!!!" --- Just my thoughts, that's all.

vperl
05-01-09, 09:06 PM
What's all this talk about what the Govt or the UAW or GM is doing or has done. All this person (me, I, whomever) cares about is my White Diamond, kick the ass off the BMW M5, 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. To hell with everything else. Ain't nothin' you or I can do about all this other mess. GM and the UAW built for all of us, one of the finest sedans in the world. So --- "Don't worry be happy". And I quote "Let's roll!!!!" --- Just my thoughts, that's all.

Those that wait, can pay more, and be happy and wish for the 2010 V. You want actually to get the best and not just flap your gums, buy now. Flappers flap, buyers buy......

Action is what matters, not some type of "wait" makes one wonder how serious the flappers are................... in actually in laying out the cash...