: 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Boulder

DopeStar 156
04-25-09, 01:42 AM
That about sums it up. My car is stuck at my grandmother's house (blocking a garage door might I add) because it won't start. I replaced the starter solenoid on Wednesday after the car was sitting for about two months. I pulled the starter, took off the old damaged solenoid and replaced it with a new one. Put the starter back on, charged the battery up, and added a couple gallons of fresh gas to the tank before starting the car up which it did just fine. Ran it for a few minutes (I think like 10-15) and drove it to my grandma's. Had dinner, coffee, dessert, etc and went to head home. When I went to start the car I got a couple cranks followed by clicks......

Shit....

Tried jumping it, charging it up again, nothing but clicks. Took the battery out and had it tested, it failed, so I replaced it. With a new battery I get the same kinda clicking. Tried jumping it again and got a couple cranks followed by clicking. I'm out of ideas, it's now Saturday and the car is STILL in my grandma's driveway. She's being a good sport about all this but I still wanna get this thing started and back in my driveway. Any ideas what might be causing this problem and how I can get it to start to at least take it home to screw with it? I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give......

I've had the worst few days of my life in the last 36 hours with one dead '76 DeVille, my '89 Fleetwood wounded at the bodyshop, (I backed into it with my Taurus and dented the rear driver's fender. Lost my mind for three hours in hysterics, don't even wanna think about it anymore) and a bullshit parking ticket I now have to fight in a city I've never visited in my life.....

I'm ready for the hospital and my straight jacket fitting.......

Caddy75
04-25-09, 03:28 AM
Could it be dirty/corroded/loose battery cable/wire connections? Doesn't a new solenoid have to be suitably lubricated before installation? Maybe it wasn't lubricated enough? Do all the other electrics work properly, eg power windows, radio etc?

arnauts
04-25-09, 04:51 AM
My 368 used to go though brand new starters evert 2-3 months. This was inconvenient becuase it once conked out in the middle of a date with a girl I met while I was in the middle of a resturant parking lot. Man that sucked balls. Did you hear any rough grinding noises while you were craking before it decided to go tits up?

cadillac_al
04-25-09, 08:49 AM
sounds like bad battery/starter connections to me.

csbuckn
04-25-09, 09:40 AM
sounds like bad battery/starter connections to me.

Thats what I was thinking, the wires came loose while you were driving or changing the battery. The ground or soleniod wire. I know trying to tighten the solenoid wires on the 307 is a pain, I always arch it.

jayoldschool
04-25-09, 12:44 PM
+100 bad battery cables/connections.

DopeStar 156
04-26-09, 02:12 AM
Figured it out. The starter on the 500 has a braided metal strap that goes to one of the mounting bolts to the frame that the starter uses as a ground. I forgot to reconnect it since there isn't one on my 307 so I'm not used to seeing it. Needless to say I reconnected it and the car started beautifully. Thanks for all the help, you guys were right on with this one.

jayoldschool
04-26-09, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup:

77CDV
04-26-09, 10:21 PM
Hooray!