: gotta give the runflats some credit today

bandit6678
04-24-09, 07:43 AM
So I pick up my father at about 4am to take him to the airport this morning, and as im about 15 min into a 20-25mile trip 1way I nail something big on the highway (still fuming about that). I pull over because the flat tire sensor is blinking but cannot find anything in the dark after checking each tire, so I take it as a broken sensor and continue on because there was no time to return home. As I get further on I hear increased road noise in the cabin, confirming the flat tire. I finally get to the airport and check all the tires and find a 5" gash in the right rear tire starting in the sidewall and wraping all the way towards the center of the tire:bighead:. I could even stick my key all the way through the sidewall the cut was so large.
After thinking for a while i decide to go ahead and risk it and test out the runflats. I drove the whole way to a tireshop across the street from my work doing 50 in a 55 flashers going with *******s blaring horns and tailgrabbing my, while i am all the way in the righthand lane on a 3-4lane highway (some people just amaze me). Made it to the shop and the tire looks exactly the way it did when I left the airport, I mean the tire does not even look flat from the side!!!
I know runflats suck for performance, but i am really glad I had em today.
-end rant

Twitch
04-24-09, 08:10 AM
That's funny, cuz I just dropped off my stockers at the powdercoaters yesterday. On the way back, I realized that if I blow one of my Falkens, I'm screwed! Those runflats are tough. The maching almost got stuck while taking them off the rim :rolleyes:
Would have sucked for you to have to pay for the cab, and towtruck.

darkman
04-24-09, 08:10 AM
I still have runflats because they make a lot of sense here in Houston where stopping to change a tire on the freeway borders on suicide. I have switched to GS-D3 runflats which work better in the wet and last longer that the original F1 Supercars. Just for the record however, the original F1s had incredible dry grip and a crisp turn-in that I believe has yet to be matched, although PS2s come close. They did hydroplane too easily and their tread life could have you changing tires more often than oil.

CIWS
04-24-09, 08:18 AM
Just for the record however, the original F1s had incredible dry grip and a crisp turn-in that I believe has yet to be matched, although PS2s come close. They did hydroplane too easily and their tread life could have you changing tires more often than oil.

:yeah: The F1 Supercars are a great tire for dry roads. They just wear too quickly and are expensive to replace.

bandit6678
04-24-09, 08:25 AM
yea the guy there said all my tires need replacing, and i noticed from what ever I hit there is a bubble in the front right side wall, guess now I have to debate whether to buy all new runflats or 5tires and a extra wheel!!!

NormV
04-24-09, 08:25 AM
I just carry two cans of fix a flat and watch I don't drive over anything that would destroy the tire. Good story though! :)

Norm

bandit6678
04-24-09, 08:27 AM
I try not too as well, but at 4am and changing lanes it just seemed to come outa nowhere
- I dont think fixaflat woulda saved this poor tire

darkman
04-24-09, 09:33 AM
I just carry two cans of fix a flat and watch I don't drive over anything that would destroy the tire. Good story though! :)

Norm

Probably works in your area, but on a Houston freeway you can get hit by a another driver (drunk or sober) or hijacked whether changing a tire or putting in your fix-a-flat juice.

bandit6678
04-24-09, 09:54 AM
hijacked whether changing a tire or putting in your fix-a-flat juice.

If thats the case id be carrying something more than just a can of fix a flat!

AG'S-V
04-24-09, 10:01 AM
Makes me happy I ran across a spare tire kit.

Thus I'm replacing mine as soon as they wear out...great story though!

bandit6678
04-24-09, 10:16 AM
what is the spare kit

AG'S-V
04-24-09, 10:28 AM
V wheel & tire with CTS jack & equipment...the V has the proper hole in the trunk for a spare...you just have to remove the tub in the trunk and whala!

bandit6678
04-24-09, 10:34 AM
V wheel & tire with CTS jack & equipment...the V has the proper hole in the trunk for a spare...you just have to remove the tub in the trunk and whala!

ah nice where did you find that kit, and how much if you dont mind me asking

CadiBlk
04-24-09, 11:48 AM
ah nice where did you find that kit, and how much if you dont mind me asking

Luke has the hookup. I dunno price, but what is the price for piece of mind?

Lindsay FTW!

bandit6678
04-24-09, 12:24 PM
:yeah:

The Tony Show
04-24-09, 04:24 PM
A few years back, I was late leaving the house for work one day when I jumped in the V and was greeted by the (!) tire warning. I clicked the button, and my RR was down to about 10lbs overnight. I initially thought "$&@#$!!, I'm going to be even later!", but then I remembered the runflats. Drove to work fine, and had the leaky valve stem replaced on lunch break.

Yeah they wear out fast, but they can come in handy. :)

ccextra1976
04-24-09, 05:35 PM
Probably works in your area, but on a Houston freeway you can get hit by a another driver (drunk or sober) or hijacked whether changing a tire or putting in your fix-a-flat juice.

the way you were talking I thought you were going to say you were driving in Compton or something

CIWS
04-24-09, 05:52 PM
Yeah they wear out fast, but they can come in handy. :)

The F1s wore fast, but the set of RSAs I replaced them with lasted a respectable 30K miles. :)

bandit6678
04-24-09, 06:02 PM
my v has 35000 miles on the f1's but im not sure how many times theyve been replaced if at all

c4ss
04-24-09, 10:53 PM
Does fix-a-flat work if you have anything worse than, say a slow leak? I've never used it. But the same thing goes for here in New Jersey. Changing a tire on the Garden State Parkway or the Turnpike has the potential to be a death wish. Anyway, I took my runflats off and just have Triple A Plus if anything happens. I'm pretty sure the + means I can get a flatbed whenever I want :yup:

AG'S-V
04-25-09, 11:21 PM
Bought the kit off a guy on here in Houston that was a former V owner.

He bought a used rim and tire from someone else and pieced together the other parts from GM.

Don't really want to say what I paid...it was a smoking deal, was just taking up room in his garage.

It's very simple though...just find a used rim/tire, will probably cost no more than $700 all in.

darkman
04-25-09, 11:39 PM
I got a spare tire kit even though I still have runflats. The spare is one of my original F1s. I did this in case I have a flat on a long trip. Having runflats on the ground may get you to a service facility, but in small towns there may be no one that can deal with servicing a runflat. Additionally, the last set of runflats I bought (GS-D3s) were special order and it took several days to get them even here in Houston. With a spare, I stand a better chance of getting back to a major city and can withstand tire supply delays.