: My car hates me

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-23-09, 11:57 PM
So today I noticed that some of the segments in my digital trip odometer quit working. I shut the car off and turned it back on, hoping to reset something, and nothing happened. I started driving home from school and they popped back on. I was rather relieved.

Later on I drove to my dad's house for dinner and it did the same thing. When I started they were not working correctly but after about 30 seconds they all popped back on (there are about 3 that are being finicky right now).

Just now I was outside taking pictures of the LED bulbs I just installed (more to come on this) and one of my headlamp bulbs exploded inside the housing. :bighead: Now I have to remove the whole headlight from the car, dump out the pieces of glass and somehow clean it out (maybe swish a little water through there) because there is a thin film of something, probably the gas from the bulb, all over the lens and the reflector. Needless to say, I am ready to shoot the damn thing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-24-09, 01:01 AM
That trip odometer problem is fairly common on those. I remember Brian's '90 had a similar issue with both odometers.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-24-09, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my AC system. It was converted to R-134 some time in the past but upon doing an analysis at school it still contains 2.4% R-12. This means finding a shop that will take the mixed gas out of the system will be very hard. No problem, I can just release it at my house and blow the remaining refrigerant out so it is just air. However, while I was in the process of testing the system the crankshaft in the compressor snapped for no apparent reason (there was plenty of oil in the system and I did not hydro lock it). :banghead:

So now I have to replace the compressor. However, after I open the system I will also need to replace the receiver/dryer and the accumulator (yes, it has both) which brings the cost of parts to around $250-$300. Its not to big a deal, I can do it at school when I have some free time but it still is another annoying problem that I really don't want to deal with. So I have never owned a car that was 100% problem free. The '95 was really close but it still leaked a bit of oil each night and the panel dimmer was dying so it would randomly go to daytime brightness at night which was enough to burn your eyeballs out.

Aron9000
04-24-09, 02:53 AM
My car has the same issue with the odometer. Its not too bad, but sometimes the "hundreds" number is missing a few parts.

I think the climate control panel on mine is starting to go bad, I tried to turn it up to max fan today, but it wouldn't do anything. A/C still works so I can't complain.

96Fleetwood
04-24-09, 11:00 AM
Nothing major, it is part of owning a vehicle that is 19 years old (one of the main reasons why I bought a newer daily driver).

You can get a brand new compressor & accumulator from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A-C-Compressor-CADILLAC-BROUGHAM-1986-1992-COMBO_W0QQitemZ130152689259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1301526892 59&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

I used their compressors for several LT1 cars I had; good products with no issues so far.

As for the cluster... be prepared to get yours rebuilt or buy one from a junk yard. That Firemist 1991 I sold in November would flash from 22,000 miles to 999999, then back to the actual 130,000. :bigroll:

mjs182004
04-24-09, 11:53 AM
some of my numbers on the digital dash kinda fade a little. they don't disappear but its like there are mirrored and is rather annoying. but that happens for like 10 - 30 seconds and then it corrects itself. kinda weird

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-26-09, 01:57 AM
I swear this car is gonna be the end of me. Today as I was driving home from work the trans started slipping. After already having gone through two transmissions on my car I was royally pissed. It did not slip at normal acceleration (pretty slow for me) but when I put my foot about half way down it felt as though the trans was hunting for the right gear (a slow shudder feeling). I pulled over and checked the fluid, all good. It is a nice red and does not smell burnt at all. I started driving again and beat the hell out of it. I did several WOT runs and a few half throttle starts and it seems to have cleared up, for now anyway.

Aron9000
04-26-09, 02:08 AM
I swear this car is gonna be the end of me. Today as I was driving home from work the trans started slipping. After already having gone through two transmissions on my car I was royally pissed. It did not slip at normal acceleration (pretty slow for me) but when I put my foot about half way down it felt as though the trans was hunting for the right gear (a slow shudder feeling). I pulled over and checked the fluid, all good. It is a nice red and does not smell burnt at all. I started driving again and beat the hell out of it. I did several WOT runs and a few half throttle starts and it seems to have cleared up, for now anyway.

There might be something wrong with the tv cable and the trans could be fine. Remeber these cars didn't have electronics to control the tranny, it was a cable linked to the throttle body that determined shifts. Pressing the gas halfway down should have resulted in a downshift, which may have not happened because of the cable binding/something wrong with the linkage.

I've had the trans go out on two of my previous cars(99 Camaro Z28, 91 Regal) With both of those, the more you pushed it and heated up the trans, the worse it slipped.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-26-09, 02:46 AM
There might be something wrong with the tv cable and the trans could be fine. Remeber these cars didn't have electronics to control the tranny, it was a cable linked to the throttle body that determined shifts. Pressing the gas halfway down should have resulted in a downshift, which may have not happened because of the cable binding/something wrong with the linkage.

I've had the trans go out on two of my previous cars(99 Camaro Z28, 91 Regal) With both of those, the more you pushed it and heated up the trans, the worse it slipped.

The kickdown cable is good though. I am hoping it was just being temperamental due to the nasty weather we have been having lately.

I wasn't really pushing it hard enough to overheat the trans though, just enough to build the fluid pressure and get things moving. I am hoping there was just a small clog (maybe a goober of some sort) somewhere that got pushed out and hopefully caught by the filter.